WAW-AMS-EDI on KLM 14/09/2020

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

WAW-AMS-EDI on KLM 14/09/2020

Post by Comet »

We had a great holiday in Warsaw - the weather was good every day, the first time we've had a holiday in Poland without any rain. It was also nicer walking about and shopping in Poland than it is at home. Eating out was also more enjoyable as we didn't have to provide phone numbers and names and addresses every time we went in a restaurant. The only "depressing" thing was the deathly quiet airports, which are normally bustling and busy.

KL1364 WAW-AMS

The terminal at WAW is brilliant for viewing and photography, so even though there was nothing like the usual numbers of airlines and aircraft, I was able to find something to photograph.

LOT Dreamliner.

The Dreamliner is called "Franek", a name chosen by passengers.

Dreamliner.

Our aircraft was Embraer 190 ( :evil: ) PH-EZN.

LOT have painted this Embraer 175 in a retro livery. By the time I had my camera ready to take the photo it was already passing the terminal.

We had seats 6A and 6C, and boarded through an airbridge.

View from my seat towards the Dreamliner.

Our scheduled departure time was 12:25, but boarding was completed early and we were able to push back early (a first at WAW as we are normally delayed on the return flight to AMS). Push back was at 12:16. Take off was 12:23. Our flight was expected to take one hour and 40 minutes.

Shortly after take off. It was sunny and clear in Warsaw so the views were good as we climbed (though not as good as they were from the other side of the aircraft as we passed the city and all the landmark buildings could be seen).

Shortly after take off.

Although I love Beemster cheese this was getting a bit tedious :lol: . It's the Beemster and basil sandwich again, with an identical biscuit to the other flights. KLM used to provide two sandwiches in the snack box but this year it was just one, plus the biscuit.

My lone sandwich. They are nice sandwiches, I've never had any food on KLM that I didn't like, I just wish they had a bit more variety like they used to.

There was some hazy cloud at altitude.

Over The Netherlands.

Over The Netherlands.

Approaching Amsterdam.

I love these views as you fly to and from Amsterdam.

Our route had taken us south of Poznan, south of Berlin and Potsdam at an altitude of 35,550 feet and a speed of 482 miles per hour, 273 degrees heading. We flew north of Hannover, over Zwolle and over Almere. We landed at 14:01. As we were early our allocated gate was still occupied by another aircraft so we had to wait for a few minutes until the aircraft had pushed back.

Approaching our gate.

KL1289 AMS-EDI

Amsterdam was dead. I have never seen AMS like that. I would rather see this airport busy and bustling and full of life.

Our transport to Edinburgh was PH-BCA "Flamingo". This was a "bird" we hadn't flown in before.

I think this is a viewing area but I could be wrong.

Towers at Schiphol. AMS has a few towers, including one to serve the Polderbaan.

Our nearest neighbour at the terminal.

PH-BGF has the English name "Great White Heron" and the Dutch name "Grote Zilverreiger."

A Belgian TUI 737-800.

We were in seats 8A and 8B for the flight to Edinburgh.

We pushed back at 16:08 and had a long taxi ( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) to the runway. I do love the long taxi at AMS, it's disappointing to use the nearer runways. We took off at 16:25. Our flight was expected to take an hour and five minutes.

Shortly after take off. It had been sunny in AMS and it was slightly hazy as we climbed.

Over a river.

Crossing the Dutch coast.

I didn't take a photo of the snack because There was no point taking a photo which would be identical to two other inflight snack photos :lol: :lol: .

About to cross the English coast.

Over Scotland and the cloud had increased quite a bit.

Our route had taken us over the Zuid Kemmerland National Park. We flew over Spurn and passed to the south west of Hull. We flew over the west of the North York Moors National Park, over Durham and the Northumberland National Park. We had cruised at 40,000, at 498 miles per hour and a heading of 283 degrees.

It was cloudy near Edinburgh. We landed at 16:26.

Just after landing at EDI.

Approaching the terminal.

Our flights this year had been good, all things considered. I just hope next time the airports will be busy again and we won't have to wear face masks.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Re: WAW-AMS-EDI on KLM 14/0920

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks again for your nice illustrated reports, Louise.

Sorry you had to endure all those cheese sandwiches. After all, the Buy On Board method might be a little more expensive, but at least it gives you a wider choice!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Re: WAW-AMS-EDI on KLM 14/09/2020

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the comment Andre. I remember last year having Beemster cheese on all four flights, but then it was served in different ways - two flights with ordinary sandwiches and two flights with wraps. The only KLM flight without that particular sandwich this year was our very early morning flight from EDI, when we had the lemon cake (used to be normal fare on the morning flight from UK to AMS). I have heard bad things about the buy on board options with some airlines (namely BA) that if you're in the "wrong" part of the aircraft all the best sandwiches have already sold out by the time the crew come round to sell them. I think KLM lost their way a bit with the catering recently.
Louise

YYZ727

Post by YYZ727 »

Interesting report!
Why don't you like the "jungle jets" ? I like them a lot, the 2 by 2 seating beats the 320's & 737's for me....

Comet

Post by Comet »

This is why I don't like the Embraer 190 (I specify the 190 because I don't have a problem with the 135 and 145).

The seat to window alignment is absolutely ghastly. To see through the window you either have to twist your back and look over your shoulder or lean right forward. For viewing they are the worst planes I have ever been on. I like 2-2 seating but not the positioning of the seats.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Just for comparison between snacks of 2019 and 2020. These are the snacks from last year.

Two Beemster cheese salad dsandwiches.

A Beemster wrap.

Two Beemster and tomato sandwiches.
Louise