Ryanair in 2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sdbelgium

Re: Ryanair in 2015

Post by sdbelgium »

In the meantime, the closure of Billund base has been announced.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

airazurxtror wrote:...the single Boeing 737-800 has been transferred to Kaunas where the aircraft will continue to fly to/from Copenhagen from the Lithuanian city.
I always thaught that a flight is "from airport A to Airport B". But wth Ryanair, one now can book "from Airport A from Airport B". For sure, you are winning indeed.

I don't know the Danish labour legislation, but I don't think that this fromidation automaticly cancels the Danish court verdict that gave ground staff at Copenhagen the right to refuse to handle Ryanair aircraft. Me thinks a judgement stands till another judgement recalls it.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

sdbelgium wrote:In the meantime, the closure of Billund base has been announced.
Indeed :

Ryanair on Tuesday announced that it will close its base at Billund Airport on Friday. The decision comes on the same day that Ryanair officially shuts down its base at Copenhagen Airport.
Ryanair will now move two aircraft to London Stansted and the third one to Dublin. It will continue to operate 12 of its 14 summer routes to and from Billund but will cut its four winter routes down to just one : London.

“The Danish unions have made clear that as long as we have any base in Denmark they intend to engage in secondary strikes at Copenhagen, despite admitting they have no members among Ryanair pilots or cabin crew,” airline spokesman Eddie Wilson said in a press release.

Too bad for the Danish traveller, but OK for us : better have the two daily flights to Copenhaguen operated by a Charleroi-based aircraft rather than by one coming from CPH.

Eddie Wilson said that closure plans at Billund will go ahead unless the unions respond by Wednesday evening.
“We are sad, because we have had a successful base for three years in Billund without problems, but we are being blackmailed,” Mr Wilson said.
More than 100 of the airline’s staff would be relocated in Europe, he said, although the company would continue to fly from the airport.

The union called the threat a “media stunt”. “For just DKr37 extra per ticket Ryanair could get an agreement,” the union told Danish business daily Borsen. “Passengers would be willing to pay so that everyone can get decent working conditions.”

I am not so sure : DKR 37 is 5 euros, a 10% increase on the average ticket price.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ryanair press conference in Brussels today. MOL appears with a broken arm. More to follow. ..
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ryanair press conference in Brussels today. MOL appears with a broken arm.

3 new winter routes from CRL: Copenhagen, Podgorica, Stockholm. 1 new winter route from BRU: Berlin.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

I beleive we knew about Berlin, Copenhagen and Podgorica and I thought they were already flying for CRL to Stockholm Skavsta...

So not that much news???

Stij

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

He did mention a few more things apparently (in Dutch):
http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/nieuw ... rket=nl-be

Established02

Post by Established02 »

sdbelgium wrote:He did mention a few more things apparently (in Dutch):
(in poorly written Dutch)

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Not much news indeed for next winter, but then circumstantial evidence already pointed in that direction, despite some here keeping up the drums about imminent massive expansion very recently.

We can maybe start the betting for next summer season?
That might be more interesting to discuss than this nonevent from today.
My bet for now: just 1 extra plane at BRU for a 3 times daily MAD, nothing else.
The single extra plane could already be calculated from different volumetric projections made by them in the past and the MAD, well its mentioned in the list of future destinations from BRU, but clearly not launched this winter. It also somehow matches the profile of a mixed tourist/business route, although CPH does so too and that goes to CRL. Strangely enough.

Off topic:
What a terrible Dutch translation of their press event on their corporate website, btw!
Surely they can do better than using google translate? Okay, its use is for free, but its also very bad.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

"We welcome the proposals by IAG that they would surrender some slots in Gatwick. We will certainly be bidding for the slots and we would certainly want to expand services we offer at Gatwick," O'Leary, who agreed to sell Ryanair's 30 percent stake in Aer Lingus last week, told a news conference.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Beyond the information given in the official press release (little of which is really new), the interesting part of the press conference was in the slide presentation and especially in the Q&As.
Unusual arrival of the Ryanair boss
Unusual arrival of the Ryanair boss
In the slide presentation, I noted a couple of news items:
  • The insurance opt-out will disappear from the booking procedure in September
  • A new website in October
  • 27% of the passengers travel for business
  • As mentioned above, 30% growth in Belgium (CRL + BRU) to 8 million pax for the 2015-2016 fiscal year, compared to 2014-2015, with CRL reaching a new record after a decrease last year
Before the slide presentation
Before the slide presentation
In the Questions and Answers time:
  • Questioned about the relations between pilots and management (unions,types of contracts, etc.), Michael O'Leary felt little at ease and tried to escape the answers.
  • About Denmark, Ryanair closes its bases in Copenhagen (1 aircraft) and Billund (3 aircraft) because of a Union that does not represent any Ryanair employee. The 10 pilots based in CPH (9 Danes and one Swede) have now to relocate in a foreign country...
  • Ryanair is helping Greece with 5€ domestic fares and 9.99€ inbound fares from foreign destinations.
  • As mentioned above, Ryanair is happy with the sale of Aer Lingus shares and with the conditions set by the European Commission. It will apply for the five slot pairs at Gatwick that must be relinquished by IAG. Ryanair has not yet decided how the proceeds of the Aer Lingus sale will be spent; they might return the money to their shareholders.
  • About the competition with SN at BRU, Ryanair is very confident in the future, because LH has no commitment whatsoever to SN, being involved in may other more important issues: the ME3, its unsuccessful low-cost subsidiaries, etc.
  • Ryanair has not finalised its offer for next summer yet. The plans are to increase traffic and some were predicting a higher number of planes based in CRL and BRU, but this is not (yet?) in the cards.
  • About Ostend (I asked the question at the request of one of our members): Ryanair is talking to the airport, but has no plans for the immediate future. It is a secondary airport, and the number of aircraft currently available does not allow to serve such airports in the near future. But on a long-term perspective (5 to 8 years), OST might come back in the picture.
Michael O'Leary (CEO) and Yann Delomez (Country Manager Belgium/France/Morocco) answering the questions
Michael O'Leary (CEO) and Yann Delomez (Country Manager Belgium/France/Morocco) answering the questions
The press was well represented
The press was well represented
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sdbelgium wrote:He did mention a few more things apparently (in Dutch):
There is also an English version on Luchtzak (not as poorly written as in Dutch):
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... -combined/
André
ex Sabena #26567

ostair

Post by ostair »

sn26567 wrote: [*]About Ostend (I asked the question at the request of one of our members): Ryanair is talking to the airport, but has no plans for the immediate future. It is a secondary airport, and the number of aircraft currently available does not allow to serve such airports in the near future. But on a long-term perspective (5 to 8 years), OST might come back in the picture.[*][/list]
Thanks for asking the question.
So the chance of seeing Ryanair at EBOS is highly unlikely.
A lot can change in 5 years time.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

http://www.lalibre.be/economie/actualit ... a436f9ee9d

Excerpts :

Ryanair expects to carry 8 million passengers in Belgium for 2015, an increase of 30%. announced Wednesday Michael O'Leary.
He was pleased to see passenger numbers increase as much from Brussels Airport (Zaventem) and Charleroi airport.
For the year 2015, Ryanair expects to carry some 6 million passengers to and from Charleroi and 2 million from Zaventem airport. The company's growth continues therefore not only in Brussels Airport, as this was the objective, but also in Charleroi.
Michael O'Leary took the opportunity to reaffirm the position of Ryanair as first company in Europe and Belgium, throwing a few arrows in the direction of Brussels Airlines, "a company that lacks investment and leadership."
Michael O'Leary indicated that new destinations from Charleroi and Zaventem for summer 2016 will be announced in September.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Allow me to add that those figures do not seem to match the official published figures of both CRL and BRU so far and there is quite some ambiguity inside ryanair's various statements on this topic too, as De Tijd for instance shows a graph of theirs with the expected passenger volume for 2015 at just 6.5M passengers.
I suppose seats offered vs passengers flown; calendar year, fiscal year and 12 rolling months are all used quite "flexibly" by ryanair and all dubbed "2015 passenger figures" to boost the figures a bit more during the press conference.

You may be right about the arrows he couldn't resist throwing to others.
I too read quite some hidden frustration on the surprisingly successful offensive by Brussels Airlines, to the point he even went on tape to say "they continue to get smaller, we will get bigger"?!?
You can be flexible, you can bend the truth a bit, but here, you lose credibility of course, even if its just a lapsus of hem, I am sure (CEOs often tell the same one fits all stuff a thousand times at many places), but the person next to him (I suppose some responsible for local markets?) looked a bit foolish.
No wonder deredactie.de openly questioned the factual correctness of all the figures and news fed to them and saw in today's press conference a public display of ryanair defending their safety and reliability record, which wasn't the aim of course.
Even non aviation journalist are getting a bit fed up with being used as channels of free publicity and being called in for yet another non-telling event, maybe?
I dont know if André also talked to other journalists and checked their personal impressions and feelings afterwards, but it might be interesting to hear from him on this subject, if so of course, because its striking to see now the "good news show" landed quite flat at some news outlets.
This is definitely not the kind of reporting you want to see on Belgium's most popular television news about the conference: http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/video ... =1.2391805

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Inquirer wrote:I suppose seats offered vs passengers flown; calendar year, fiscal year and 12 rolling months are all used quite "flexibly" by ryanair and all dubbed "2015 passenger figures" to boost the figures a bit more during the press conference.
In this case, the graph clearly said fiscal year 2015/2016: 8m pax in Belgium (6m in CRL - new record, 2m in BRU).
Inquirer wrote:I dont know if André also talked to other journalists and checked their personal impressions and feelings afterwards, but it might be interesting to hear from him on this subject, if so of course, because its striking to see now the "good news show" landed quite flat at some news outlets.
I mentioned that MOL was feeling like in a difficult position when he had to reply to an English-speaking journalist (I think she was from The Wall Street Journal) about his relations with pilots. I didn't mention the safety issue (flying with minimum spare fuel), but that was indeed the meaning of her intervention, and MOL replied that his airline was monitored by EASA and never was charged with a safety problem.

The second issue was his claim that SN was becoming smaller while RYR continued to grow. http://www.deredactie.be didn't show the reaction of the audience, but immediately thereafter, Patrick Anspach from L'Echo challenged him by saying that on the contrary SN was growing at BRU with a higher number of new destinations than RYR. Then MOL left it to Yann Delomez (Ryanair country manager for Belgium, France and Morocco) to set the record straight: he recognised that SN was growing (MOL cannot know everything about every European airline), but on a limited market, whereas RYR is a European leader that now also has taken the leadership in Belgium (at least for the number of passengers). And MOL added what I have mentioned earlier: that LH has no commitment whatsoever to SN, being involved in may other more important issues (in their view): fighting against the ME3, trying to compete in the LCC market with their unsuccessful low-cost subsidiaries, etc.

A Ryanair press conference is a one-hour event where MOL speaks at the speed of light and it is very difficult to note everything was is said. I should have taken my Dictaphone to remember everything...

And thanks to VRT Nieuws to have taken me in picture in their report :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I think most of it is mentioned either in my report or in the press release
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote:Allow me to add that those figures do not seem to match the official published figures of both CRL and BRU so far and there is quite some ambiguity inside ryanair's various statements on this topic too, as De Tijd for instance shows a graph of theirs with the expected passenger volume for 2015 at just 6.5M passengers.
I suppose seats offered vs passengers flown; calendar year, fiscal year and 12 rolling months are all used quite "flexibly" by ryanair and all dubbed "2015 passenger figures" to boost the figures a bit more during the press conference.

You may be right about the arrows he couldn't resist throwing to others.
I too read quite some hidden frustration on the surprisingly successful offensive by Brussels Airlines, to the point he even went on tape to say "they continue to get smaller, we will get bigger"?!?
You can be flexible, you can bend the truth a bit, but here, you lose credibility of course, even if its just a lapsus of hem, I am sure (CEOs often tell the same one fits all stuff a thousand times at many places), but the person next to him (I suppose some responsible for local markets?) looked a bit foolish.
No wonder deredactie.de openly questioned the factual correctness of all the figures and news fed to them and saw in today's press conference a public display of ryanair defending their safety and reliability record, which wasn't the aim of course.
Even non aviation journalist are getting a bit fed up with being used as channels of free publicity and being called in for yet another non-telling event, maybe?
I dont know if André also talked to other journalists and checked their personal impressions and feelings afterwards, but it might be interesting to hear from him on this subject, if so of course, because its striking to see now the "good news show" landed quite flat at some news outlets.
This is definitely not the kind of reporting you want to see on Belgium's most popular television news about the conference: http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/video ... =1.2391805
Some people do get really agitated when someone else rains on their parade :/ do you see any of those lamentations on the forum any time Brussels airlines gives a press conference about their fare dropping 0,50€ or about a spectacular growth in pax on the AFI flights while in gact it was because in the same period last year there were less flights cause of an aircraft in D-check. Yet when there is an FR press conference then the forum is inundated with the above type of comments from the same people over and over again. In fact, never in the history of this forum have I seen inquirer saying anything positive about FR, yet they are the highest profit making airline in europe AND have the highest standard and poors rating in the world. But ... He claims no bias :D
Something about pot and kettle :)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:Some people do get really agitated when someone else rains on their parade :/ do you see any of those lamentations on the forum any time Brussels airlines gives a press conference about their fare dropping 0,50€ or about a spectacular growth in pax on the AFI flights while in gact it was because in the same period last year there were less flights cause of an aircraft in D-check. Yet when there is an FR press conference then the forum is inundated with the above type of comments from the same people over and over again. In fact, never in the history of this forum have I seen inquirer saying anything positive about FR, yet they are the highest profit making airline in europe AND have the highest standard and poors rating in the world. But ... He claims no bias
Something about pot and kettle
Soooooo predictable.

Fact is that there is a huge difference between De Tijd's calculation (6,5 mio) and O'Leary prediction (8 mio).

Fact is that Ryanair is the only airline to give a press conference to announce... actually nothing, apart from announcing 3 new routes from CRL and 1 from BRU (relevant facts like frequency:???)

Fact is that Ryanair is the first company worldwide to announce its 2015 results already mid July. Poor journalists indeed.

Fact is that the University of Ghent has proven by an academic report that Ryanair's system "pay to fly" is unsafe because those pilots will not report unfit to fly when they should do so. So far, we get a few lousy counter arguments: we do not use pay to fly, EASA hasn't banned us, we have a good safety record.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

If anyone is being predictable then it's you and your friends. I knew this morning allready what I was gonna read on this forum today :D

Please explain: what is pay to fly and how is it implemented in FR? :D because with that last paragraph you just proved everything what I have been saying all along. Its the same error as claiming to know the location of FIH airport where you like to bully others with :D

We use contractors yes, just like SN, JAF and practically every other airline in the world. But pay to fly .. Never have and never will :)
Last edited by sean1982 on 15 Jul 2015, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.