Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

RoMax

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by RoMax »

convair wrote:I hope there is an easy shortcut or bypass for people who are not interested in or have no time for shopping!

I do some shopping there too occasionally but I find it outrageous that everyone now MUST walk through the shopping area in terminal B, even before the security control. The place looks more and more like a shopping mall where you also have the possibility to eventually board a plane!!!

Consume, consume, consume... is now the leitmotiv!
Walk-through shops are 'hot' for airports, milking the flows as they say. Most passengers don't really mind unless such a zone is too long, but indeed not everyone likes it, especially the frequent flyers and business travelers. But BRU is not alone, they follow a very long list of airports.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Next renovation project is the arrival hall. Everything from the Quick restaurant, the Leffe cafe, waiting arrival area and rental car area will be all renovated and renewed.

The nuisance for the pax will be reduced to a minimum.

End of the works will be in 2016.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Have been yesterday for the first time by the connector.
And I must say that it surely looks pretty bright and clean and a nice view of the tarmac.
For the rest it looks like any other airport maybe there is not enough pubs and stuff.
You have the Quick and Panos and a Sushi bar that is not enough!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Brussels Airport Takes Overall Prize at the Routes Europe 2015 Marketing Awards

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/bre ... g-awards-/ 8-)

MiStEr-T

Post by MiStEr-T »

Hi !
Emirates update

http://www.air-journal.fr/2015-04-24-em ... 43209.html
La compagnie aérienne Emirates Airlines déploiera le 18 septembre 2015 un Airbus A380 entre Dubaï et Bruxelles, prélude éventuel à une utilisation régulière vers la capitale de Belgique.
"Emirates will fly the A380 between Dubaï and Brussels (18.09.2015) for testing the faisability of a permanent deployment"

Where the futur A380 gate(s) will be located ?
End of B-pier ?

;)

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Hi there!

Can someone post some pics related to the construction works in progress for the Befimmo/Gateway project @ BRU?

Thanks in advance,

Vincent, Paris (F)

JamesD

Post by JamesD »

Do you mean the new Deloitte building?

brusselsairlinesfan

JamesD wrote:Do you mean the new Deloitte building?
Exactly! I am very curious about the transformation of the old building into a new one!
Do you have somme pics about the construction works?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

http://www.codic.eu/EN/realisation.php?itmid=106&
This could already help a little, see the links at the bottom to a sort of 'live'stream picture of the construction site and they also have a timelapse video of the first months.

brusselsairlinesfan

RoMax wrote:http://www.codic.eu/EN/realisation.php?itmid=106&
This could already help a little, see the links at the bottom to a sort of 'live'stream picture of the construction site and they also have a timelapse video of the first months.
Sure that helps! Thank you very much... it will help the airport to look more modern!
Can someone tell a bit more about this old building? What did it stand for?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

This former old building was the "house" of BIAC. Most admin departments were accomodated in it, health staff and also the control tower on top of it. The "control tower" will still stay there as back up of the current one.

On one of the higher floors you had also the restaurant.

Just in front of it you had the protocol department.

But after a couple of years it was more and more empty. Most admin was moved to the renovated "satellite" but you still have some other admin departments spread over the airport, but it's a minimum.

Protocol is receiving a whole new building just next to the satellite. Deloitte will be the new user of the "Gateway" building.

It will be indeed a much better look for the airport as it was absolutely not a nice view from both sides: landside and airside.

The only old building that will remain is the Skyhall, but this is still used for a lot of events, meetings, etc. So I'm curious with this for the future.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

When I was 10 in the 80s the restaurant was my favorite sporting place :-)
Hasta la victoria siempre.

brusselsairlinesfan

Thank you very much for all this precious information!

Atlantis wrote:This former old building was the "house" of BIAC. Most admin departments were accomodated in it, health staff and also the control tower on top of it. The "control tower" will still stay there as back up of the current one.

On one of the higher floors you had also the restaurant.

Just in front of it you had the protocol department.

But after a couple of years it was more and more empty. Most admin was moved to the renovated "satellite" but you still have some other admin departments spread over the airport, but it's a minimum.

Protocol is receiving a whole new building just next to the satellite. Deloitte will be the new user of the "Gateway" building.

It will be indeed a much better look for the airport as it was absolutely not a nice view from both sides: landside and airside.

The only old building that will remain is the Skyhall, but this is still used for a lot of events, meetings, etc. So I'm curious with this for the future.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

You are very welcome Brusselairlinesfan ;)

BekEBBR

Post by BekEBBR »

Hi there!

Talking about future infrastructures, I wanted to know what's going on for the moment? (pictures)

Thanks!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

That's the second face in the Connector. Transfer between Pier A and B. Should be finished end of this year.

BekEBBR

Post by BekEBBR »

Thanks!

And on the 2nd pic, it seems that works are in progress at a gate at the half of the B Pier?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

One gate is out of use for many months because it's a temporary parkings place for handling vehicles and also the "street" next to the terminal building was removed much closer to that gate.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Most likely some maintenance on the tarmac. Renewing the tar in the expansion grooves and repairing/replacing some slabs.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

2 things:

1. Are there any plans to do something about the busstation? Today it's a disgrace: it's disordered, dark, dirty (the lines on the ground are almost completely gone), the asphalt (road surface) is old and broken and the signage is poor.

The overall infrastructure is just not like someone can expect from a modern busstation. Let alone a busstation of an international airport!

2. About the poor signage, this is an airport-wide problem. The airport needs BIGGER signs everywhere. Just a few pictures to make it clear: in Brussels all signs are way too small:

Compare this to the Schiphol signs:

Need I say more? I can read the Schiphol signs from a 20, 30 meter distance. I can only read the Brussels signs when I'm directly in front of it...

At the busstation for example, there aren't even any signs at all! Need to catch a bus to Brussels or Antwerp? Good luck with your search! Not a single sign is guiding you to the right platform...

Seriously, this airport can be so unprofessional sometimes... while the solutions are so easy to implement.

Another fantastic (sad) example:
^^ Does anyone have a magnifying glass? :wtf: