Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: Brussels Airport infrastructure

Post by Inquirer »

sn26567 wrote:Not the brightest move of The Brussels Airport Company, IMHO. Why does a company like Deloitte need a buiding at the airport?
Ever wondered why there are so many offices along the A201?

Having a HQ litterally next to the terminal is a brilliant location because it means people working for Deloitte can leave the office just 40 minutes prior to their flight. For a company which sees it staff travel all over Europe, this is a brilliant location to be at.

FWIW, my company is situated as good as right next to the airport for the same reason BTW: it moved from downtown Brussels especially for this reason, because with a team of 25 traveling consultants and trainers each having close to 100 trips a year, the last thing you want is waste thousands of work hours per annum on driving to and from the airport through bussy Brussels or on the ring.

You'd be amazed to find out that office space in the many corporate buildings along the A201 gets ever more expensive as you near the airport, so clearly airport vicinity is very much a premium to international company's these days.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

abc
Attachments
IMG_1300.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg

eagleheart

Post by eagleheart »

Why are they demolishing there? It's the sattelite-building I think?

BRU

Post by BRU »

Only the connection to the satelite building. Renovation of old airport building for new gateway project and move of protocol services.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

eagleheart wrote:Why are they demolishing there? It's the sattelite-building I think?
The satellite is a classified building. Don't think they'll be tearing that down any time soon.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

eagleheart wrote:Why are they demolishing there? It's the sattelite-building I think?

Dear Eagleheart,

Know that the Satellite is the "home" of all admin departments of Brussels airport. they moved there some years ago after they refurbished the Satellite.

What you see there is the demolish of the connection between the satellite and the main terminal.
Those construction works started 30 April of this year already

eagleheart

Post by eagleheart »

Thanks for this. Nice to know that they will keep the satellite!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

This looks like a complete waste of valuable space. Areas in direct contact with the runways, taxiways and aircraft parking positions should be reserved for activities directly related to operations.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

So are they FINALLY gonna renovate this old terminal building??

It's a total disgrace. When you arrive at BRU it's like arriving in the 60's! Doesn't look like a modern airport at-all! :silent:

Stij

Post by Stij »

flightlover wrote:The satellite is a classified building. Don't think they'll be tearing that down any time soon.
I thought the departure hall was a protected building, not the satellite...

Cheers, Stij

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

Atlantis wrote:

Dear Eagleheart,

Know that the Satellite is the "home" of all admin departments of Brussels airport. they moved there some years ago after they refurbished the Satellite.

What you see there is the demolish of the connection between the satellite and the main terminal.
Those construction works started 30 April of this year already
Why doesn't the admin dpt move to the main building, once renovated and then afterwards they can demolish the satellite. It looks strange for a BRU dpt to be so remote...

Anyone more pics of the original airport building and the satellite?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Deloitte will be the user of the whole new renovated main building. There is no room for other companies and that's good like it is.

Deloitte is a solid customer and much better then a bunch of companies who will use the main building because nobody can predict how long they will stay. It was a plan for so many years but never in practice.

http://www.jaspers-eyers.be/sites/defau ... eway01.jpg

Established02

Post by Established02 »

abc
Attachments
IMG_1595-2.jpg
IMG_1594.jpg
IMG_1578.jpg

Boavida

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by Boavida »

The old terminal building is finally being renovated:

After renovation it will look like this: http://www.jaspers-eyers.be/deloitte-hq

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

"An office with a view". Damn, looking for a job @ Deloitte starting right "now"!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It's a pity that a building in such a location is devoted to something else than aviation. Afterwards, when Brussels Airport or Brussels Airlines or any other aviation-related company will look for an expansion at the airport, they will have to look for a far-away location.
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn26567 wrote:It's a pity that a building in such a location is devoted to something else than aviation. Afterwards, when Brussels Airport or Brussels Airlines or any other aviation-related company will look for an expansion at the airport, they will have to look for a far-away location.
I'm sure BAC took al this into consideration. To be honest I don't think SN or any other airline would be interested in using these offices. And because they are at such a key location they are expensive (at least once renovated into a practical building again). It's been standing empty for long enough for BAC to talk to possible users of this building and I'm convinced that aviation-related companies were the first that have been considered as possible users.

To get the most of out an office building like this you need a large company that is willing to take the whole building and that would benefit from such a key location where ground and air transport are brought together. That doesn't have to be a company related to aviation, Deloitte is perfect to use such a building.

In the end it all comes down to profit, the most profitable airports in the world are often those taking the most benefit from their real estate and hardly make any money on aeronautical revenues (of course air transport also involves a lot of non-aeronautical revenues such as from retail in the terminal and parking lots etc.), look at Schiphol to have an example closeby. Of course this building is an extreme example because it used to be an integrated part of the old terminal facilities, but in the end it doesn't matter if its there or a few hundred meters away. It's not well suited for airside/terminal development (some of the parts of the old terminal are still open to be developed for that) and no other company was willing to take such a big office building at such an expensive location.

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

sn26567 wrote:It's a pity that a building in such a location is devoted to something else than aviation. Afterwards, when Brussels Airport or Brussels Airlines or any other aviation-related company will look for an expansion at the airport, they will have to look for a far-away location.
While I fully understand your point of view (and even share your opinion), I think BAC made a very smart move here, profitwise.

I don't have the exact business case figures of course, but I assume that the only way BAC could make this real estate project work out (ie 'profitable'), is by attracting a non-aviation partner. After all, it's a safe bet to say that nowadays there are not that many aeronautical companies in Belgium that have the kind of funds necessary to support such a project (a project that would probably even have led to a significant increase in property cost) and commit for twenty/thirty years.

TUI (i.e. Jetairfly/Jetaircenter/Tec4Jets) could have been a partner in this project few years ago, but obviously they decided to centralize JAF, JAC and T4J in a new real estate project with a more convenient location and sufficient hangar space.

Best regards,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Talking about BRU infrastructure, how is the arrival curb nowadays? I haven't been there since the renovation so I don't know. I also didn't find any pictures of it. Is it even renovated?

You can see the 'old' situation on Streetview: https://www.google.be/maps/@50.896925,4 ... vrjEEA!2e0

It looks absolutely disgraceful. Old, ugly, dark, small, unsafe,... Absolutely shameful for a modern airport.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Boavida wrote:Talking about BRU infrastructure, how is the arrival curb nowadays?
It is OK now. Good lighting and the road has got a new pavement.
André
ex Sabena #26567