Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

CTBke

Re: Replacement of Brussels Airlines' Boeing & Avro RJ fleet

Post by CTBke »

that's just because they're not allowed to do cash transactions for SN... :) but on the other hand if you fly with them to Lyon or Toulouse , they don't speak French while SN crew does ...

but overall its just personal choice and preference

and you may be right ... I think they'll have some planes from Germanwings in order to implement the LH group fleet harmonization (out phasing of the RJ)
Citybird
The flying dream

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Will some aicraft of SN fly for Thomas Cook this year or they will be no cooperation?

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

there is no info yet about the new summer charters
Citybird
The flying dream

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

CTBke wrote:Maybe they'll add some more planes from FlyBe, would be nice...
Not more q400s, quite on the contrary even: one lease is going to be terminated at the start of the summer season.

The q400 was tested thoroughly and found to be operationally too limited to be widely used throughout the network. More Airbuses are going to be added instead.

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

the main problem with the Q400 is the cargo hold which is not big enough...whil cabin space is very limited as well.. but on some routes the A319 will be too big (over capacity) like TLS, LYS, MRS,...
Citybird
The flying dream

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

During summer MRS is not that bad...

convair

Post by convair »

tolipanebas wrote:
More Airbuses are going to be added instead.
Can you tell more about that? How many? When?

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

I think they'll add a A330 first instead of an A319/A320
Citybird
The flying dream

SFM

Post by SFM »

According to Airfleets.net, SN is going to add another A320.
OO-SNG, S/N 1885, ex-Air France F-GKXF, age: 13 years

http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-a320-1885.htm

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

SFM wrote:age: 13 years
First flight October 2002, delivery in December 2002. So let's make it about 11,3 by the time it starts flying for SN. ;)
The current 5 A320's of SN have an average age of 11,1 years (according to airfleets).

SFM

Post by SFM »

RoMax wrote:
SFM wrote:age: 13 years
First flight October 2002, delivery in December 2002. So let's make it about 11,3 by the time it starts flying for SN. ;)
Oops, misread the year as 2000... :oops: *facepalm*

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

SFM wrote:According to Airfleets.net, SN is going to add another A320.
OO-SNG, S/N 1885, ex-Air France F-GKXF, age: 13 years

http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-a320-1885.htm
why SNG and not SNE?

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Maybe SNE is for a later order.. After all Sabena didn't started with SNA neither.. so no logical explanation
Citybird
The flying dream

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Do they plan adding new dots on the european network? Or is it to add frequzncy? Or simply the first RJ100s retirement?

hvs89

Post by hvs89 »

OO-ITR wrote: why SNG and not SNE?
Because the reg of this aircraft was OO-SNG while flying for Sabena. It seems to be a kind of "tradition" to take the same reg for the aircraft that join the fleet and have been flying for Sabena in the past (or maybe another reason I'm not aware of?).

This "tradition" is also valid for some flight numbers, like SN515 to IAD.

SFM

Post by SFM »

hvs89 wrote:
OO-ITR wrote: why SNG and not SNE?
Because the reg of this aircraft was OO-SNG while flying for Sabena. It seems to be a kind of "tradition" to take the same reg for the aircraft that join the fleet and have been flying for Sabena in the past (or maybe another reason I'm not aware of?).
This aircraft did not fly for Sabena. It has been with AF since it came out of the factory.

The Sabena OO-SNG is now flying for Monarch as G-OZBK.
http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-a320-1370.htm
This plane is a little bit older, 13 years (this time I double checked, Romax ;) )

convair

Post by convair »

Now that the arrival of another A320 (OO-SNG) seems confirmed and member RTM is hinting that the last RJ85 (presumably OO-DJP) will be staying with the fleet for a while and the replacement decision will come this year, the guessing game can start again ;).

Looking first at the number of aircraft to be replaced (from 2015 onwards?):

1 RJ85
12 RJ100
4 DH4 wet-lease (as 1 lease will already be terminated end March, according to tolipanebas)

Total: 17 (if you consider the coming A320 as a "replacement" for the terminated DH4 lease).

A small number of A319/A320 seems realistic. However, taking into account the size of the planes to be replaced, a small fleet of smaller planes can be expected.

Turboprops?
I personnally like them, the DH and the ATR, but for me, and I believe for many pax as well, an hour flight in these is enough; I know people who do not fly them at all because of claustrophobia.
And they are not very popular in the LH group. To me, SN should only consider them at a later stage to open new and close-by destinations such as Rotterdam, Luxemburg, Nantes, Eindhoven...

So, a 10-12 aircraft fleet of a small jet can be expected. LH has both E190/5 and CRJ 700/900 but rather more of their higher capacity models.
I wouldn't be surprised if LH was to pass on to SN a number of their CRJ700s, while increasing its own fleet of the 900s.

To summarize my guess:

10 CRJ700 ex-LH
4 A320, making a total of 10
3 A319, making a total of 17

Comments/critics welcome! No insult please. ;)

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

From what I heard (but they are just rumours) the options SN was looking at A32F, CSeries or a combination. Meanwhile SN's decision is said to be presented to LH for evaluation.

Personally I don't think SN (or LH) wants to play around too much with the current generation regional jets and instead make a final and firm replacement at once. Of course it has to be financially viable...which is the big problem when talking about SN.

I agree with extra A320's/A319's, but not exactly with CR7's, I believe the CSeries will be part of the replacement (whith LH being able to place a follow up order under presumably nice conditions as an early and 'big' high-profile customer).

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

What about the superjet? Thought it was high on their list, 7-8 years ago.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

FlightMate wrote:What about the superjet? Thought it was high on their list, 7-8 years ago.
Some airlines seem to be happy with the recent SSJ's (the early versions had some performance and reliability problems), such as the Mexican Interjet. Also RAM is currently operating one to test it (after also leasing an E190) before making a decision on a regional jet order. But I don't think a Western European airline will go for the Superjet...
I remember also Alitalia evaluated the Superject (as Italian companies are highly involved in the project, they were kind of forced to at least look at it), but eventually they ordered Embraers.

As Lufthansa Group is already a CSeries customer and claimed that the CSeries may eventually become the only regional jet in their fleet, I think the highest chances are on these aircraft if they decide to order new regional jets.