Qatar & ramadan

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
capetown

Qatar & ramadan

Post by capetown »

i am currently in transit in doha's (old airport) premium terminal (stopover from bkk with bru as my final destination). As with the outbound flight ex-bru 2 weeks ago, the ramadan is under way and this has quite some impact on alcohol being served : no alcohol during the entire month of ramadan , 24/24, 7/7, is served in the airport (including the premium terminal for business and first class pax). No champagne before take off once boarded, drinks are only available after take off, i.e. leaving qatari soil. otherwise, all alcoholic drinks are available inflight, except that the staff may not show the bottle to pax - they just bring you the glass of wine or whatever you ordered. a bit silly if you ask me but so be it. i was more surprised about the fully "dry" airport in doha, and i would definitely take this into consideration should i have to fly again during ramadan. my question : do other gulf carriers (ey, ek, gf) impose similar measures ? greetz, from a thirsty traveller.

fcw

Re: Qatar & ramadan

Post by fcw »

If two hours layover without alcohol is a problem for you, there might be a problem!
May I suggest you go and see a doctor.
http://www.a-1associates.com/aa/20Questions.htm

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

I'm also interested in the answer to this question.
May I suggest constructive answers ?

fcw

Post by fcw »

Nevihta, if you want to change travel plans because you don't have access to alcohol during 2 hours of a 16 hour trip, there might be an underlying problem.
I have witnessed the huge damage and drama this, often hidden, problem can cause.
The only constructive answer, I can think of is: take it serious and look for help as soon as you can.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Cool down, guys. No personal remarks, please!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I fully agree with SN: this is an issue worth debating and this has nothing to do with relying on an alcohol shot or not during the time on ground!

When a passenger flies in premium classes on intercontinental flights, he does so because he seeks certain comfort and service standards and its really up to the customer to decide whether he wants to sober down those standards from a religious belief or not during ramadan: no alcohol in the lounges and no welcome drink on board while still on the ground are significant product downgrades IMHO, regardless whether you make use of them or not.

I'd advise to send a letter of complaint to the airline and point out to them that they have clearly not offered you the full premium travel experience as widely advertised by them: if they value customer's opinion, they will likely offer you compensation, although the issue is that with unallied airlines like Qatar, that compensation is going to be limited to just their own flights of course, and that may not be so easy to use. Another reason why I prefer airlines combine their Frequent Flyer programs to increase the chances to earn and spend miles: M&M is just briljant in that respect: If I have an issue with say Austrian, the compensation offered by them can be used on my next Swiss flight.

BATAVIA

Post by BATAVIA »

This is an aviation related forum, So thanks for keeping personal remarks for yourself.
I flew last Ramadan (2012) with EY from BRU to MNL, C class, and full service,including alcoholic drinks were served on board, and in all lounges.

AirOpinion

Post by AirOpinion »

There are absolutely ridiculous comments in this post... I mean over the top childish comments!

I do understand Capetown's point! And if one flies business and pays xxxx EUR for a ticket, one can/may expect good service!

b720

Post by b720 »

I agree, one flies an airlne and transits somewhere, Ramadan or Diwali or what have
You should not be shoved down travellers throat. M.east is notorious for hypocrisy when
It comes to religion. I would recommend you avoid the whole region during Ramadan..

capetown

Post by capetown »

Thank you, dear all (minus 1 :roll: ) forum members for your comments.
It seems from BATAVIA's post that where QR does have these restrictions, EY does not apply them. And that was exactly the reason of my post / question : it struck me as hard to believe that QR , aiming globally and branding itself as "the world's 5 star airline", does have these restrictions / impose them upon all travellers, muslim or not. Yet it seems to be the case. Not sure whether this is internal airline policy, or rather, whether this is Qatar government imposed (Qatar is, after all, a more conservative country than the UAE - alhthough I wouldn' call the UAE "liberal" either).
I do need to make one adjustment , though : after boarding the flight to BRU (around 1 a.m. yesterday morning, i.e.just after I posted my question), the QR flight attendant effectively did propose a glass of champagne. I asked her whether she was allowed to do so, and the reply was that "as long as it is done with discretion, it's ok". As posted before, on the earlier flight from DOH to BKK mid july, there was a solid "no alcohol while on Qatari soil during the holy month of Ramadan". Conclusion as to QR : the terminal is "dry", whereas as to the inflight service : once in the air : alcohol available but no labels/bottles can be shown ; after boarding / pre take-off : rather confusing...
I would be curious to know about EK as well : anyone some first hand experience ? My gut feeling would be that they (and Dubai airport) do not impose ramadan restrictions upon their travellers - and, as others posted here before, so it should be...
Best Regards,
Capetown

earthman

Post by earthman »

In the UAE alcohol is forbidden and can land you in jail.

Sent from my S500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

earthman wrote:In the UAE alcohol is forbidden and can land you in jail.

Sent from my S500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
As long as you don't pass border control, the airport is an international zone.
So a local law, like the one on alcohol, does not prohibit the selling of alcohol in the international zone. Or at least it shouldn't.

But then again, maybe the airport authority prohibits alcohol being sold during ramadam.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Sorry if I'm being rude, but....Earthman, were you drunk when you wrote this ?

See below (excerpt from wikipedia):
(please, note that special rules are applied during Ramadan)

"Dubai has a burgeoning nightlife scene and even formerly straitlaced Abu Dhabi has loosened up and tried to catch up. Alcohol is available in alcohol stores, 5-star hotel restaurants and bars in all emirates except Sharjah, where you can only drink in your home or in an expat hangout called the Sharjah Wanderers. As a tourist, you are permitted to buy alcohol in bars and restaurants to drink there. If you are a resident, you're supposed to have a alcohol license (never asked for in bars) which also allows you to buy alcohol at alcohol stores (they do check).

During Ramadan, no alcohol is served during daylight (fasting) hours. Dubai and Abu Dhabi permit bars to serve alcohol at night, but bands stop playing, background music is off or quiet, no dancing is allowed and nightclubs are usually closed. On certain holy days in the Islamic calendar, no alcohol is served publicly in any of the UAE.

Do not under any circumstance drink and drive in the UAE. If by chance you are in an accident, this becomes a card for going directly to jail — especially during Ramadan. Taxis are widely available if you have been drinking and are a much safer and wiser option given the insane driving habits in the region"
In favor of quality air travel.

regi

Post by regi »

Biman applied this rule in the past:
"only alcohol for non muslims." Reality: Bengali passengers ordering wine by the bottle...

In my Alzheimer infested brain leftovers, I think to remember several other Asian muslim carriers with similar remarks: Malaysian & Royal Brunei
This older link is a bit informative.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-mi ... hread.html

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Capetown, was it still the old Doha Airport or already the new one you flew to?

capetown

Post by capetown »

Kapitein wrote:Capetown, was it still the old Doha Airport or already the new one you flew to?
Old airport , lenghty busrides included :twisted: ... the new one is not yet operational. When talking to (Belgian) QR staff recently, they hinted that they have been told that the new airport is now scheduled to open at some point in time in Dec '13 - Jan '14... On a more positive note, they were also optimistic that BRU would see QR 787 service in the not so remote future (subject to aircraft availability).