Munich - things to see

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Comet

Munich - things to see

Post by Comet »

What are the best things to see on a short visit to Munich? I've never been before and guidebooks have more suggestions than I can possibly fit in, so I want to know what is best from people who know the place or have visited it.

I like animals (a good zoo, aquarium or natural history museum would be nice to see), beer, photography (places which have nice views or nice historic streets and squares would be good) and good places to eat which don't break the bank (I would like to try some good German sausages and pork).

Obviously aviation is a big interest, but I hear that Munich Airport more than caters for aviation fans :mrgreen: unlike airports in Britain.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Re: Munich - things to see

Post by sn26567 »

There is a great museum of transport, part of the "Deutsches Museum" which is the world's largest museum on science and technology.
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I visited the Deutsches Museum's "out" site at Oberschleißheim and enjoyed it very much; the nearby castles are also very nice. München city is too big and too busy for my taste but the Museum must be very good. If you're in for classical arts the Alte Pinakothek is not to be missed.

And for sausages, request Weißwurst but be aware that the rest of Germany speaks of it in mockery. As a beer adept, you should find some interesting brews there, too.

Above all: remain clear, by a very wide berth, of the Oktoberfest if only for the sheer number of Brits (amongst others) that go there with the sole purpose of getting very drunk.

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

BMW Welt for inspiration, Neuschwanstein for fairytales, Dachau for a reality check...

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the replies.

I love the look of Deutsches Museum (http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/information/) it reminds me a bit of the Science Museum in London, that is a favourite museum of mine, that would be great to visit. I hear it allows photography and video (like our Science Museum does) so that is a big bonus if you want a pic of something that is not in the museum guide book. :mrgreen:

What is wrong with Weißwurst? I have heard of them but didn't know they were mocked. We don't have white sausage over here, but the only white sausage I have ever had - a Liege sausage - was very good with mustard. I remember the waiter telling me the Liege was white and was I Ok with a white sausage, but I couldn't see the problem with it. I like trying different sausages :mrgreen: I would love to try some of this pork http://www.bbonline.de/haxe/schweinshax ... josl_2.jpg we definitely don't see pork like that over here!

I will be well away before Oktoberfest starts, we checked the dates to ensure we could avoid it - lager louts are not my ideal company when I'm on holiday so thankfully the majority will be arriving after we've left.

I had thought about Dachau, providing I could go round without being in a guided group. I want to see somewhere like that at my own pace rather than being ushered round in a crowd. Sometimes you need time to consider and reflect and you can't do that if you're being taken round at someone else's pace.
Louise

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

You can go around Dachau at your own pace. You can get there with public transport (train + bus).

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks Charlie Roy, I will definitely try to visit.
Louise

regi

Post by regi »

There is some very high end tourism at the lakes south of Munich - at very affordable prices during week days.
I did some sailing on the Tegernsee, at Bad Wiessee.
Staying in town +- 40 to 60 € a night BF included.
The top hotels go for 100 € or so.
Great for food at the lake shore.

Hot spring spa in town.
Great view on the beginning of the Alps.

Just perfect.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks regi, I'd love to get a glimpse of the mountains. I'm hoping the weather will be good enough to get a load of photos, I've never photographed mountains before on the digital camera. I'm buying lots of extra memory for the camera and camcorder so I want to be able to use it :mrgreen:
Louise

regi

Post by regi »

The great thing about the region south of Munich is that the Alps really stand in front of you.
To give a contemporary comparison: it looks as the Wall of Ice in Game of Thrones. :)
Some places very close to the mountains don't receive a lot of sunshine and are chilly. But 5 to 10 miles from the mountains, it is a great area. And affordable.
And accesable by train or other public transport out of Munich.

I use to stay here during large trade fairs in Munich when the hotel prices are too high close to Munich.

Comet

Post by Comet »

It's good to hear that these nice places are accessible on public transport. I've seen some good deals on train travel in Germany so I'm going to be going on the train a bit, when not looking round Munich.

This is something completely new to me, the only other German place I visited was Aachen (catching a bus from Eupen after going by train from Oostende - a great fun day out but not long enough to appreciate Aachen). I want to try some German beers as well.
Louise