Thunderbirds F16 Crash Cockpit Movie

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

B737229

Thunderbirds F16 Crash Cockpit Movie

Post by B737229 »

Pilot error caused a U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds F-16 to crash at an air show on Sept. 14 at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho, the Air Force said on Wednesday. (See below for in-cockpit video of the crash.) The pilot incorrectly climbed to 1,670 feet AGL instead of 2,500 feet before initiating the pull-down to the Split-S maneuver, according to the Air Force news release. The pilot, Chris Stricklin, 31, apparently flew by mistake to the MSL altitude used when practicing the maneuver at his home base, Nellis AFB in Nevada, which is 1,000 feet lower than the Idaho field elevation. The pilot ejected just eight-tenths of a second before impact, after reportedly making an effort to steer the aircraft away from the crowd of about 85,000 ...

Download movie:

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/tbirdcrash.mpg

terenia

Post by terenia »

Spectacular movie. I wonder how the camera survived!

Avro

Post by Avro »

What a stunning movie 8O

It's very impressive !!!!

I never saw such a thing from the inside of a plane.

Chris

PS: I'm not the Chris who was the pilot ;)

twan01

Post by twan01 »

Terenia,

The camera probalby didn't survive. During displays of the Thunderbirds, the groundground crew has six movie screens from inside the cockpit of every of the six F-16's, recording every movement of the pilots. So this is the movie from inside the cockpit, recorded from the ground.

The three days prior to this crash, the Thunderbirds were at the Reno Air Races, where I was able to see this video system, and see from the ground every movement from each of the pilots in their cockpits.

If you want to see some of the latest pictures of the Thunderbird "6" in action -taken on september 13th, day before that crash- , visit the "News" item of my website.
Keep 'Em Flying !!

"Twan"

www.iapa.be

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

Very impressive images :!:

I suppose the pilot was injured because he ejected so close to the ground ?

But I admire his calm reactions. At no point you see him panic in his movements.

ciao,
TriStar :wink:

B737229

Post by B737229 »

another breathtaking picture, this time seen from the outside:

wwwwowww 8O

Avro

Post by Avro »

AMAZING 8O

I wouldn't want to be standing near the photograpgher. It seems the plane is heading right into his camera 8O

Chris

twan01

Post by twan01 »

Chris,

The picture is taken by one of the Thunderbirds groundcrew standing on the control tower.
Due to the large telelens the picture give a little optical illusion as the A/C is coming right to the photographer.

However I can imagine that it must have been frightning to see that A/C coming your way. And as far as I know the photographer is still alive and kicking :D
Keep 'Em Flying !!

"Twan"

www.iapa.be