Sabena Trains

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Comet

Sabena Trains

Post by Comet »

What were the Sabena trains? http://www.belrail.be/F/fiches/emu/inde ... page=image on some photos on here it says "ex-Sabena". What does that relate to? Did rail services run on behalf of Sabena?
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Re: Sabena Trains

Post by sn26567 »

There was indeed a time when the SNCB/NMBS was running trains from Brussels Central Station (where Sabena had an Air Terminal where it was possible to check baggage) non-stop to Brussels Airport on behalf of Sabena. These trains had a distinctive blue colour and a special seating (larger seats for air passengers), but were accessible to other passengers as well (against a higher fare than the usual SNCB/NMBS trains).
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks Andre. Such a pity there is nothing like that now, it would be much easier than struggling onto the train if you have loads of luggage.
Louise

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Exterior (updated exterior with airport titles):

Exterior by delivery:

Interior:

Last edited by Bralo20 on 10 Apr 2012, 13:16, edited 2 times in total.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Did some additional research and apparently the trains were ordered by SABENA, which also owned the trains. NMBS/SNCB operated the trains on behalf of SABENA. When they were delivered they were numbered 851, 852, 853, 854, 855 and 856. Originally these trains had only first class on board. Later SABENA sold the trains to the NMBS/SNCB which renumbered the trains to 595, 596, 597, 598, 599 and 600. Today these trains are still operational, however they are repainted and feature a "new" interior.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Are they the ones which still had blue seats in? (Sorry but the pic of the interior doesn't show up) I've been looking through some of my pics taken inside those types of trains and some have green seats and some have blue ones.

A shame that they had to ruin those old trains. I prefer the red ones, at least I know they will have that old fashioned interior, which is more fun than those repainted things with the new seats.
Louise