Spanair bankrupt

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

airazurxtror

Spanair bankrupt

Post by airazurxtror »

Rumours about an immediate closure of Spanair - their website is unreachable at the moment.
Last edited by airazurxtror on 28 Jan 2012, 10:08, edited 2 times in total.

LJ

Re: Rumours about Spanair

Post by LJ »

airazurxtror wrote:Rumours about an immediate closure of Spanair - their website is unreachable at the moment.
Doesn't look like a rumor anymore. FR already offers rescue fares, Air Europa and Vueling are organizing extra flights.

-SCQ-

Spanair: suspension of payments?

Post by -SCQ- »

It looks like Spanish carrier Spanair could invoke a suspension of payments procedure in the coming hours or days ...

-SCQ-

Re: Spanair bankrupt ?

Post by -SCQ- »

airazurxtror wrote:Rumours about an immediate closure of Spanair - their website is unreachable at the moment.
Yes indeed, I was about to post this news.

It looks like they could invoke a suspension of payments procedure in the coming hours or days.
The Catalan government announced they won't put one more single euro in the company and negotiations with Qatar Airways, who was interested in getting almost 50% of the Spanish carrier, broke down.

Very sad news ...

LJ

Post by LJ »

-SCQ- wrote:It looks like they could invoke a suspension of payments procedure in the coming hours or days.
The Catalan government announced they won't put one more single euro in the company and negotiations with Qatar Airways, who was interested in getting almost 50% of the Spanish carrier, broke down.

Very sad news ...
Very sad, but not unexpectedly. Just as BMI, JK was a heavily loss making airline with no focus. It will be interesting to see how this will impact Star and most notably LH (as JK operates some codeshare flights with LH). However, LH has some A319s sitting idle in Berlin...

-SCQ-

Post by -SCQ- »

A friend who's right now at BCN just told me that all Spanair flights are cancelled ...

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

every bad thing brings something good ... more fresh cheap airbusses for sn?
more possibilities to develop more germanwings routings within staralliance?
Who will gain more of this,iberia/vueling will get a spanish monopoly now,or will LH take some parts,
but they just said to focus more on theirselves...
As Malev will stop within next month, new fights for pax in europe..
Think FR will focus also more on the spanish domestic market as their already at BCN and MAD ..

The first of 2012, it was said to be a hard year for aviation.. :(

cxb
Last edited by cathay belgium on 27 Jan 2012, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
New types flown 2022.. A339

Bralo20

Spanair bankrupt ?

Post by Bralo20 »

JK will cease all ops as of 28JAN2012 00:00CET.

May they rest in peace... :(

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Hello

Spanair is already the third airline that goes bankrupt in 2012. Also Cirrus Airlines (Germany) and Central Connect Airlines (Czech Republic) ceased their operations.

Greetings,
All my posted timings are local !

LJ

Post by LJ »

cathay belgium wrote:Who will gain more of this,iberia/vueling will get a spanish monopoly now,or will LH take some parts,
You forget that Air Europa is still there in Spain. JK was the 3rd airline in Spain after Iberia/Vueling and Air Europa.
cathay belgium wrote:The first of 2012, it was said to be a hard year for aviation.. :(
Not the first in 2012. We've had a few bankruptcies already in Europe (Cirrus, Air Alps and another one which I can't remember), though Spanair is the first well known airline to cease operations

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

hi,

Indeed I forget AirEurope, do they serve also the domestic market as much?,
I tought Aireuropa was more like a spanisch charter/JAF with some extra routes..
but indeed *a has lost spain now.. ,IAG and thus skyteam only in spain for now..

How will *a react on this? Spain is still a big and important market..

Domestic connections are important as spain is much more then BCN and MAD,.. offcourse..
Maybe SN can start again sevilla,valencia flights and upgrade malaga again..

cxb

LJ

Post by LJ »

cathay belgium wrote: indeed I forget AirEurope, do they serve also the domestic market as much?,
I tought Aireuropa was more like a spanisch charter/JAF with some extra routes..
but indeed *a has lost spain now.. ,IAG and thus skyteam only in spain for now..
UX flies MAD-PMI 6 daily, MAD-TFN 4 daily, MAD-LPA 2 daily, MAD-IBZ 1 daily MAD-ACE and a few others. They did codeshare on many JK flights (to connect to their long haul flights). Anyway, UX isn't the charter outfit is used to be.

azingrew

Post by azingrew »

cathay belgium wrote:Hi,
every bad thing brings something good ... more fresh cheap airbusses for sn?
more possibilities to develop more germanwings routings within staralliance?..

How tacky! How classy. ! 4000 peoples will lose their jobs in a few hours, and all that comes to mind is " hurrah! SN might get cheap airbusses.! unbelievable. My thoughts for the staff and crews.

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi azingrew,

Europe is hard these days ! Everybody for themselves no? Merkel showed the wáy..
But this is an aviation site,not social helpline or so,
with crashes we show our care but secondly we discuss why this happen..
I really regret JK crash and do regret the loss of another 4000 jobs in a country were almost 25 percent of the people are without jobs , in the news all day today'... btw..

Sorry that i didn't mention the jobloss before the ideas,questions..

My toughts are also with the families for a second but the next thing was malev next and which airliner next!

Belgium rating downed last hours,oil prices are risin,iran blocks oil,a strike on monday,
europe dictating us a social catastrophe, must i mention greece?

4000 jobs are 15000 people infected but whats this number in europe?,
I'm sorry I replied this way but your reply is a bit out of perspective imo.. as this is in first place an aviation forum, look at the facts and whats next?

Rip JK and really hope a part of JK will get? earn a restart like SN,AZ,...
Guess there are some possibilities to help a part of the workers..

Spain need some extra, like greece,italy,portugal,ireland and even us ;)

cx-b

ps : never mentioned a hurray ..more an aarrrgghhhh, but... !

-SCQ-

Post by -SCQ- »

Vueling reacts inmediately, with extra flights from Barcelona to the three Galician airports (VGO, SCQ, LCG), OVD, BIO, SVQ, ...

I assume Air Europa will also do something. By the way, they had a codesharing agreement with Spanair on some routes, although they're SkyTeam-member.

It was clear that Spanair would hit a dead end sooner or later, but I was shocked by how abrupt everything happened today. It's very suspicious that the bankruptcy comes only a few days after rumours that Spanair CEO Ferran Soriano was likely to join football club Manchester City (again executive director).

Won't be too sentimental, feel sinceraly very sad for a lot of JK collegues/friends I've worked with, but it's not something to be in mourning for, nobody died here. And tomorrow the sun will shine again!
Spanair was the best (or just less bad?) of the 'big' Spanish carriers (personal opinion), will also always remember their awsome Christmas campaigns, regardless of whether or not marketing.

A little tribute to everyone who made possible Spanair with the 2010 and 2011 Christmas commercials:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Iberia will help ease the situation created by the ceasing of operations of Spanair

The airline will implement a contingency plan to help carry affected passenger in collaboration with Catalonian and national authorities.

Iberia is working closely with the Catalonian and national authorities to take measures to ease the situation created by the ceasing of operations by the Spanair airline and to provide relieve and alternative travel options for affected passengers.

Accordingly, Iberia has implemented a contingency plan, deploying a large team that is now working intensely to help resolve this situation on the best possible terms for Spanair customers.

For the next thee days, Iberia will offer affected passengers special fares to buy and fly on those mentioned dates on routes where the two airlines coincide, depending on seat availability. The fares will be 60, 90 or 100 euros plus airport tax, for domestic mainland and Balearic flights, flights to/from the Canary islands, and flights to/from other European countries, respectively.

Affected passengers can obtain these tickets on the www.iberia.com, at travel agents, or by telephone to Iberia Call Centers. They are requested not to come to the airport without having booked their new tickets.

Iberia will also comply with requests to operate extra flights on routes where demand may otherwise exceed supply, such as Madrid- Barcelona, and Bilbao, La Coruña and the Balearic and Canary Islands.

Iberia regrets Spanair's troubles and expresses its sympathy to all its staff at this difficult time.

Iberia, Madrid, January 27, 2012
André
ex Sabena #26567

fcw

Post by fcw »

Very sad news for those employed at JK.
Iberia are laughing all their way to the bank. They loose a competitor, fill up up their planes and last but not least: 400 airbus rated pilots are queing to join IB-express.
BruAir was codesharing with JK as well, so they will probably have to compensate/reroute som passengers.

sn26567

Re: Spanair bankrupt

Post by sn26567 »

FC Barcelona is affected by the Spanair collapse, as it was its official carrier. It is now flying Alba Star. I didn't know this carrier...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boeing767copilot

Re: Spanair bankrupt

Post by Boeing767copilot »

At present Alba Star has three aircrafts. Two of them are Boeing 737-400 configured to carry 170 passengers, and the third one is a Boeing 737-400FR cargo plane

http://www.albastar.es/en/about-albastar/