Emirates vs. the rest : Der Spiegel Online

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

DeltaWiskey

Re: Emirates vs. the rest : Der Spiegel Online

Post by DeltaWiskey »

Read my question thoroughly, it's about international flights (Emirates in particular) from Seattle taking passengers away from Vancouver. Apparently, it's only US bound passengers (=final destination in the US) that use Seattle instead of Vancouver, according to that article that you linked to.

If you mean "The question was why would a Canadian citizen rather take a plane in Seattle than Vancouver for flight to the USA." instead of "The question was why would a Canadian citizen rather take a plane in Seattle than Vancouver." (but that wasn't my question)
Then I agree, because more can't really be derived from the article...

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

DeltaWiskey wrote:Read my question thoroughly, it's about international flights (Emirates in particular) from Seattle taking passengers away from Vancouver. Apparently, it's only US bound passengers (=final destination in the US) that use Seattle instead of Vancouver, according to that article that you linked to.

If you mean "The question was why would a Canadian citizen rather take a plane in Seattle than Vancouver for flight to the USA." instead of "The question was why would a Canadian citizen rather take a plane in Seattle than Vancouver." (but that wasn't my question)
Then I agree, because more can't really be derived from the article...
Canadians prefer to fly out of US airports because it's cheaper. I've no idea where you've read that it's only for US bound flights they do this. Furthermore it's my experience that Canadians and Americans like to fly EK because of the service they don't get on their home carriers. Link these 2 and I tell you for 100% sure that EK will attract (lots of) Canadian citizens from Vancouver to take an EK flight out of Seattle. And of course the bus service EK intends to organise between Vancouver and Seattle will make it easier for the Canadian pax to shuttle to Seatlle.

You'll see the figures in 6 months.

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

a bit off-topic, but has anyone ever tried to make a booking via the EK website ?

if you go to the 'Belgian' website, after some search and click-throughs, you can't make a booking for a flight. only for Hotels or Cars. that's not really user-friendly that is. (you can't even choose to fly from CDG or AMS ex)
luckily, if you try to make a booking via the 'global' website, after the same (stupid) search and clicks, you can find the booking page and make one.

http://fly2.emirates.com/IBE/SearchAvailability.aspx (top right corner you can choose your country or global)

is it logic they don't give you the immediate possibility to make a booking on the homepage? (like every other airline) makes no sense to me...

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

Treeper wrote:a bit off-topic, but has anyone ever tried to make a booking via the EK website ?

if you go to the 'Belgian' website, after some search and click-throughs, you can't make a booking for a flight. only for Hotels or Cars.
Yes I do, sometimes. I use the dutch or the hong-kong website, for my ams <> hkg flights (via dxb) Never had a problem.

I guess it does not work on the Belgian one, because they don't have flights to Belgium. No alliance, no code-share (they do have some, but not out of Belgium).

But I agree, at least it should be possible to buy a ticket ex AMS or CDG.

regi

Post by regi »

andorra-airport wrote:
Treeper wrote:a bit off-topic, but has anyone ever tried to make a booking via the EK website ?

if you go to the 'Belgian' website, after some search and click-throughs, you can't make a booking for a flight. only for Hotels or Cars.
Yes I do, sometimes. I use the dutch or the hong-kong website, for my ams <> hkg flights (via dxb) Never had a problem.

I guess it does not work on the Belgian one, because they don't have flights to Belgium. No alliance, no code-share (they do have some, but not out of Belgium).

But I agree, at least it should be possible to buy a ticket ex AMS or CDG.
What happens if your luggage doesn't arrive at AMS or CDG and you live in Belgium? Will Emirates bring it to your house? Or do you have to go pick it up at the airport? ( as is the case with Airasia flying to Orly )

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

New destinations for 2012; for the moment Dublin, Lusaka, Harare, Seattle,Dallas, Rio, Buenos Aires and Ho Chi Minh.

Rumors for lots of US destinations.

regards.

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

DUBAI, U.A.E., 25th January 2012: Emirates will launch Barcelona as its second passenger gateway into Spain from 3rd July, after doubling frequencies to Madrid from 1st July.

The airline is embarking on a major boost to its services in Spain on the heels of mounting demand for its Madrid service, launched in August 2010.

The new Barcelona flight, EK 185, will leave Dubai daily at 06:55hrs and arrive in Barcelona at 12:00hrs. The return service, EK 186, leaves Barcelona at 16:40hrs and lands in Dubai at 01:00hrs the following day.

Emirates’ 30th European destination will be served with a 360-seat Boeing 777-300ER, in a three-class arrangement. This includes eight First Class Private Suites and the award winning ice entertainment system throughout all cabin classes.

On 1st July, in a further sign of commitment to Spain, Emirates will launch a second daily service to Madrid. EK 143 will also be operated with a three-class Boeing 777-300ER, departing Dubai daily 14:25hrs and arriving in Madrid at 20:20hrs. The return flight, EK 144, leaves Madrid at 22:10hrs and arrives in Dubai at 07:15hrs the next day.