Air India or Jet Airways, who will join Star Alliance?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Conti764

Re: Air India: "Jet Airways may join Star Alliance too"

Post by Conti764 »

Established02 wrote:On a side note, today I noticed that Jet Airways has closed its large ticket desk at the center of the departure terminal (left to the passport control to Terminal B) and has opened up a smaller ticket desk to the far right. Also some other airline ticket desks seem to get repositioned. It looks like Etihad is building something large in the corner (street side).
All airlines had to reposition since a new system in check-in allocation has been in use for some time now. The European flights are at the lower rows whereas the international flights are at the higher rows. Since most companies like to have their counter as close as possible to the check-in, the counters moved as well.

kiwiandrew

Post by kiwiandrew »

Interesting comment tucked away at the end of this article

http://news.in.msn.com/business/article ... id=4777081

New Delhi, Jan 7 (PTI) In a bid to meet growing demand on Delhi-Mumbai route, Jet Airways is planning to introduce wide-bodied aircraft soon.
"From this summer schedule, we are planning to launch wide-bodied Airbus 330 aircraft on some trunk routes like Delhi-Mumbai and Delhi-Chennai," P K Sinha, Vice President, International Relations and Industry Affairs of Jet Airways said today......
......Refusing to comment on Jet not being allowed to join Star Alliance, he said, "We are not strong enough to join now, but within two-three years we will surely join the alliance.

I love the way they say that he refused to comment ... but then they go on to quote a comment from him .

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

'join an alliance' would be more correct I think. Can't imagine 9W has decided yet and didn't announce it officially...

kiwiandrew

Post by kiwiandrew »

DeltaWiskey wrote:'join an alliance' would be more correct I think. Can't imagine 9W has decided yet and didn't announce it officially...
Don't forget that the Indian Government has banned 9W from signing new agreements with *A members until after AI is officially a member .... under those circumstances I don't believe they would be permitted to make an announcement in *A's favour ...... yet .

I suspect that they are making friends with Skyteam as a sort of plan B in case things with *A don't work out , but that *A would be their first choice still . The irony in all this is that reportedly Skyteam were only a few weeks away from announcing IC as a future member years ago and that got put on hold due to the IC/AI merger ... if only that had happened we would probably have seen 9W as a *A member already with Skyteam being in the embarrassing position of having postponement after postponement for AI/IC joining them .

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

I know that, I just can't imagine the Vice President will make an official statement that 9W will surely join Star Alliance in 2-3years time.

What I think is the most interesting -if we can take that article seriously- is the the fact he states that 9W will not join an alliance before 2013 at the earliest.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

DeltaWiskey wrote:I know that, I just can't imagine the Vice President will make an official statement that 9W will surely join Star Alliance in 2-3years time.

What I think is the most interesting -if we can take that article seriously- is the the fact he states that 9W will not join an alliance before 2013 at the earliest.
IF we can take this sentence/article literaly and seriously, the 2-3 year period would make more sence than you could think. I don't believe Air India and/or the Indian government will allow 9W to even announce a future membership of Star Alliance before Air India effectivilly joined Star. AI is about to join Star in the middle of 2011. IF 9W would announce a Star membership shortly after, it would take at least 12-18 months to finish the entry, if everything goes smooth. That comes already pretty close to these 2-3 years if you think of some extra time wich could be needed to solve 'problems' between AI and 9W.

But this is just based on one article, as long as we don't know more about it is just too early to say something about it. But one thing must be known, in December Star Alliance had their board meeting in New Zealand. The future members are evaluated overthere and possible future members are discussed. I'm pretty sure 9W was a very important point during this board meeting. We just can't expect news from it because Air India would not want it before they joined. So as long as AI not joined Star, or Skyteam announces 9W as a future member, I don't think we have to expect a lot of news.
So for now all this is just speculation.

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

The country’s largest airline by passengers carried, Jet Airways (India) Ltd, plans to join international airline groupings SkyTeam or Star Alliance. [...] The choice is limited though. Of the three global alliances, Air India is integrating into Star, the biggest, this year, and Kingfisher Airlines is joining OneWorld.

The aviation ministry does not want two major airlines in the same alliance, which would leave SkyTeam as Jet’s only option. [...]

While Goyal says Star is an option, the aviation ministry is opposed to that move, at least for now. “We can’t allow two carriers into an alliance. They will eat into each other’s market and cannibalize it,” said a ministry official who declined to be named.
http://www.livemint.com/2011/01/2620152 ... l?atype=tp

diminbru

Post by diminbru »

Since yesterday, all Air India flights are executed under one IATA code, AI. Before sunday, all domestic flights were flying under IC (Indian Airlines code).
This was a major step for AI to become part of *A

link to article (in dutch) : http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nl-NL/Ar ... vluchtcode

travellover

Post by travellover »

Greats everybody,

Here is some information about AI and 9W as future members of star alliance, chears.

" AI gets July 31 deadline to join Star Alliance (The times of India, may 17, 2011)"

"The clock is finally ticking for Air India to join Lufthansa-led Star Alliance. After a delay of two years, AI has been given time till July 31 to meet all requirements to join the network. Failing which, Naresh Goyal's Jet Airways could pip AI to joining Star Alliance."

"Meanwhile, Jet is learnt to be going full steam ahead and Spohr said it could be ready to join the alliance in some months. "

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... f-carriers

"In May 2011 Lufthansa Passage CEO Carsten Spohr announced that Star Alliance had invited Jet Airways to join the alliance as second Indian member after Air India. He said Star had extended an open arm to both airlines and Jet Airways could join the alliance any time. Spohr indicated that Jet Airways was going full steam ahead and could be ready to join in a few months. (Wikipedia)".
Cheers

EBKT

Post by EBKT »

nothing new actually...

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/ ... Membership

I don't know if the financial problems of AI and joining *A or not, are whether positive as it will give them extra revenue or whether it is negative as the daily business is one mess with other priorities...

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Star Alliance has just upped their game...

News about Shenzhen Airlines joining Star and a very interesting part about Air India... Air India will only allowed to join if the Indian Government let a second airline (Jet?) join the alliance. Star has stated that it will be both airlines or none...

http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/2 ... hina/page1
Star aims to have two members from India

While at the Shenzhen ceremony, Mr Albrecht said Star believes it needs two Indian members to adequately cover that market and he has informed the Indian government Star will only let Air India join if the government allows the alliance to add a second Indian member. “It will be two (members) or nothing,” Mr Albrecht said.

Air India was accepted over three years ago as a new member of Star but has repeatedly delayed formally joining as it has struggled to meet the alliance’s membership requirements. Star earlier this year said Air India had been provided a final deadline of 31-Jul-2011 to meet the membership requirements. An audit is now being conducted to see if Air India is finally in compliance with all the requirements. If Air India is in compliance and if the Indian government does not insist that Air India can be the only Star member, a formal joining date will be announced.

However, Mr Albrecht said Star will not let Air India proceed with joining if the Indian government insists Air India can be the only Star member. He says all airlines in India need ministry approval to join a global alliance and Star needs to know if the government would be willing to provide approval to a potential second Indian member. Star wants to recruit a second member after Air India joins because the Indian market is too big and important to have just one Indian member. “We’re meeting with the ministry in two weeks to discuss what the next step will be,” Mr Albrecht said.

EBKT

Post by EBKT »

Don't know it this is really good news (for BRU):

Senior government officials and members of Star Alliance will hold talks on July 18 on the progress of Air India’s induction into the international airline association. “A meeting with Star Alliance (officials) would be held July 18,” said Arvind Jadhav, chairman-cum-managing director of Air India. Ministry officials, Air India representatives would be there in the meeting with Star Alliance.”

The airline plans to join the Star Alliance network by July 31.

Earlier, in a meeting between both sides, the national carrier’s representatives apprised the readiness of Air India to join Star Alliance by July 31, 2011.

The meeting is also expected to finalise the date of Air India’s formal entry into Star Alliance. Star Alliance has 27 members, including Lufthansa, Air Canada, Singapore Airlines.

source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/Star-Alli ... 21222.aspx

diminbru

Post by diminbru »

EBKT wrote:Don't know it this is really good news (for BRU):

Senior government officials and members of Star Alliance will hold talks on July 18 on the progress of Air India’s induction into the international airline association. “A meeting with Star Alliance (officials) would be held July 18,” said Arvind Jadhav, chairman-cum-managing director of Air India. Ministry officials, Air India representatives would be there in the meeting with Star Alliance.”

The airline plans to join the Star Alliance network by July 31.

Earlier, in a meeting between both sides, the national carrier’s representatives apprised the readiness of Air India to join Star Alliance by July 31, 2011.

The meeting is also expected to finalise the date of Air India’s formal entry into Star Alliance. Star Alliance has 27 members, including Lufthansa, Air Canada, Singapore Airlines.

source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/Star-Alli ... 21222.aspx
why won't this be good news for BRU? The article doesn't say anything about Jet Airways. *A always said that the alliance could hold two Indian carriers.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

diminbru wrote: why won't this be good news for BRU? The article doesn't say anything about Jet Airways. *A always said that the alliance could hold two Indian carriers.
Indeed, see one of the previous posts, Star will only allow AI if they and the Indian government agree with a second Indian member (Jet Airways of course).

kiwiandrew

Post by kiwiandrew »

MR_Boeing wrote:
diminbru wrote: why won't this be good news for BRU? The article doesn't say anything about Jet Airways. *A always said that the alliance could hold two Indian carriers.
Indeed, see one of the previous posts, Star will only allow AI if they and the Indian government agree with a second Indian member (Jet Airways of course).

Be aware that there has been no official confirmation of this news report, and that it has been reported in only one news source ( the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation) . None of the other regular aviation news sources (flightglobal, aviation week etc) have picked up on this story as far as I can see which makes me wonder what was, or was not said by Jan Albrecht at the ceremony.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

kiwiandrew wrote: Be aware that there has been no official confirmation of this news report, and that it has been reported in only one news source ( the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation) . None of the other regular aviation news sources (flightglobal, aviation week etc) have picked up on this story as far as I can see which makes me wonder what was, or was not said by Jan Albrecht at the ceremony.
That's true, so it may not be correct. But really it wouldn't supprise me. And if it is true I assume it is not something Star Alliance would widely announce to the world, but would like to keep that "in house". Rumours or things that are not officially confirmed are often/mostly not picked up by aviation news websites, unless it is a really big story (and this is actually not really, at least this certain part of the "AI-Star-Jet- story").

kiwiandrew

Post by kiwiandrew »

MR_Boeing wrote:
That's true, so it may not be correct. But really it wouldn't supprise me. And if it is true I assume it is not something Star Alliance would widely announce to the world, but would like to keep that "in house". Rumours or things that are not officially confirmed are often/mostly not picked up by aviation news websites, unless it is a really big story (and this is actually not really, at least this certain part of the "AI-Star-Jet- story").
To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me either, but I know on some other sites people have been referring to this story as if it were 100% verifiable fact, which it is not.

I disagree with you however in saying that this would not be a big story. I think an alliance deciding to make an all-or-nothing gamble in a hugely important market by issuing an ultimatum going in to negotiations with any government, let alone the elected government of the world's biggest democracy, if true, would be a very big story indeed.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

If 9W and Skyteam are so close with each other, what is keeping them from officialy anouncing Jet Airways joining Star Alliance?

LJ

Post by LJ »

Conti764 wrote:If 9W and Skyteam are so close with each other, what is keeping them from officialy anouncing Jet Airways joining Star Alliance?
I reckon you mean what's keeping them from announcing joining Skyteam? Otherwise it's a weird question

diminbru

Post by diminbru »

kiwiandrew wrote:Be aware that there has been no official confirmation of this news report, and that it has been reported in only one news source ( the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation) . None of the other regular aviation news sources (flightglobal, aviation week etc) have picked up on this story as far as I can see which makes me wonder what was, or was not said by Jan Albrecht at the ceremony.
only one news source? I found several others :
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroadwar ... ner-wings/
http://www.thehindu.com/business/compan ... 081679.ece
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/pub/sta ... ia-jet.asp
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... f-carriers
http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/2 ... ndia/page1
in this article you will see : "When asked what this might mean for the alliance in terms of coverage on the sub-continent, Mr Albrecht said that there were other options and that even if Air India were to meet the deadline, the agreement does not promise exclusivity to AI. With Kingfisher already claimed by oneworld, the obvious candidate is Jet Airways which currently hubs its trans-Atlantic operations at Brussels Airport, hub for Brussels Airlines, and a Star member."

strangly I also found this website : http://www.jetairwaysbooking.co.in/info ... r-alliance
lol