JAL launch nonstop B787 between Tokyo and Boston

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

JAL launch nonstop B787 between Tokyo and Boston

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Japan Airlines (JAL) announced today that it will launch a brand new route between Tokyo’s Narita International Airport and Boston Logan International Airport starting April 22, 2012. The airline also announced its plans to operate the highly-anticipated Boeing 787-8 configured with business and economy class cabins on this route, making Boston the first destination named by JAL to utilize the Dreamliner.

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201105/001803.html

RoMax

Re: JAL launch nonstop B787 between Tokyo and Boston

Post by RoMax »

As far as I know they announced already quite some time ago (the press release is from 27 May).

I mentionned it in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44976
JAL will start a new route from Tokyo Narita to Boston with the B787 in April 2012. This route was impossible before but thanks to the long range of the 787 and the limited capacity Boston will finally get its first link to Asia.

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

I guess its because of the runway lenght at Boston, that there is no direct flight to Asia at this moment?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

andorra-airport wrote:I guess its because of the runway lenght at Boston, that there is no direct flight to Asia at this moment?
Yes indeed, the airplanes wich are capable of flying US-Asia non-stop need a longer runway. That's why BOS is so happy with the B787. Before all the delays ANA and Hainan said they also planned non-stop flights to BOS with the B787. But then all the delays began...

Certair32

Post by Certair32 »

How long is the runway at BOS?
What would be the average flying time between BOS and Tokyo?

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

1. Is the shortest route from Tokyo to Boston over the North Pole? http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=NRT-BOS%2C ... =wls&DU=mi
2. If so, will JAL fly over the North Pole? Do JAL have any transpolar routes?

DC3 Fan

Post by DC3 Fan »

NRT-BOS great circle route max northing is N72°, so not a true polar route. In 1965 I flew in an SAS DC8 from ANC to Bodo which reached N86°+, but after the fall of the Iron Curtain that route is history.

Boston runways are not that short. From the internet:
http://www.globalair.com/airport/apt.ru ... ptcode=BOS

Two runways > 10,000 ft in length

andorra-airport

MR_Boeing wrote:
andorra-airport wrote:I guess its because of the runway lenght at Boston, that there is no direct flight to Asia at this moment?
Yes indeed, the airplanes wich are capable of flying US-Asia non-stop need a longer runway. That's why BOS is so happy with the B787. Before all the delays ANA and Hainan said they also planned non-stop flights to BOS with the B787. But then all the delays began...
Thank you for your answer. But any how, in the past KE flew with a 747 from SEL to BOS.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

andorra-airport wrote: But any how, in the past KE flew with a 747 from SEL to BOS.
That's possible, didn't know that. But if that's indeed the case, I assume it was with a (fuel-)stop? At least on the BOS-SEL part, SEL-BOS shouldn't be a problem, but when departing in BOS the aircraft is very heavy.

andorra-airport

MR_Boeing wrote: I assume it was with a (fuel-)stop? At least on the BOS-SEL part, SEL-BOS shouldn't be a problem, but when departing in BOS the aircraft is very heavy.
Yes, correct. First it was SEL-BOS-JFK-SEL , later it became SEL-BOS-IAD-SEL.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

First Boeing 787-8 arrived in BOS today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLjVcrzRchM

Will soon depart again to NRT.

Route to be operated 4 weekly until June, when it will go up to daily.
So after HND-FRA by ANA we now have the second long haul route by the 787 operating.

For who isn't following anymore, there are currently 9 787's delivered (7 to ANA and 2 to JAL). In March there were 3 deliveries (1 to ANA, two to JAL), the same was planned for this month, but so far only the one for ANA was delivered (16 April), there are two JAL's to follow in the comming week. But I don't know if they'll make it before the end of the month.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

In (early) May JAL will introduce 787 flights to Moscow, Delhi and Bejing.
http://airlineroute.net/2012/04/23/jl-787-may12/

This is possible thanks to the delivery of 2 extra 787's today or tomorrow (L/N37 and L/N38). Fly away is expected for tomorrow or 27 April.
If these two are delivered JAL will have 4 787's. They plan to have 10 by March 2013 (3 JAL 787's are still at Everett waiting for rework).