FRA Visit

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
anjin

FRA Visit

Post by anjin »

Flew BHX-FRA-LEJ-FRA-BHX 13-117 April with a 5hr stay in FRA outbound and 1 night inbound. Flew LH 737-500 BHX-FRA-LEJ and LEJ-FRA and the FRA-BHX was on a BMI A319 undr LH call signs.
At FRA the viewing terrace is open 1000-1900 in the summer with a 5€ charge, you can come in and out to eat/use the toilet. No drinks or large cases allowed outside. Good selection of aircraft.
Stopped at the Intercity Hotel which is opposite the terminal for €80 and a €5 courtesy bus fee (1 charge only). There are some rooms with good views but tree's in the way. The popular mound is ten mins walking to the right of the Hotel. This is really only good for landing traffic (sorry can't remember the r/w). Taking off they are well overhead. A few aircraft taxi straight past the mound on way to the takeoff position. Just prior to the mound is a small area with a DC3 and DC4 commemorating the Berlin Airlift, and right at the mound there is a path directing towards the Zeppelin Museum (1.5 km).

LEJ well DHL apart it's dead, the airport is massive for such a small amount of pax aircraft (similar size to say BHX if you've been there). The taxi from stand to runway took ten mins..Only a few daily LH mvmts to FRA/MUC/DUS, the odd charter flight, 1 x AN124 and 2 World MD11 passing through on troop flights. Only interesting stuff were a IL18 gate guard and a Interflug Tu134 as photo below. There was the CCA Saab flight to BRU which had a few DHL staff on board can't see that staying for long
Obviously at night it's a different story but i'm too old for that!
Hope this is of some use and keep up the good work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/plane_spotting_freak/

sn26567

Re: FRA Visit

Post by sn26567 »

Nice photo gallery!

I remember LEJ in the old communist days, when Interflug was actually flying there, even with a Business class where champagne was served during the Leipzig Fair. The airport buildings were small, but sufficient for the small traffic. And police was everywhere.
André
ex Sabena #26567

regi

Re: FRA Visit

Post by regi »

Yes, former East Germany is not well served internationally.
You mostly need 2 flights to get to Leipzig or Dresden. ( thank you for the CCA possebility, I forgot about it )
Both airports saw massive investments and I guess that Dresden has won the battle with the Airbus activities.
No more flights by Ryanair to Altenburg ?

Anyway, nice pictures from FRA .