BRU-PVG-BRU on SN/HU

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
liebensd

BRU-PVG-BRU on SN/HU

Post by liebensd »

It was the 4th time this year that I needed to go to Shanghai for business.
For some reason there were almost no flight available on the date that I had to fly. Normally I am flying Swiss but they and Lufthansa didn't had any economy tickets available any more, so the company booked me a return flight to Shanghai with Brussels airlines operated by Hainan airlines.

Friday 15 October
Brussels Airlines SN4117 flight operated as Hainan Airlines HU7908 from Brussels to Shanghai, departure time : 13H30

Check in at Brussels Airport went smooth. Only there was a strange remark of the check-inn person, I wouldn't get any status or award miles on Miles and More since it was a Hainan flight. Strange I thought, since my ticked was sold by Brussels Airlines. Later I asked also the Brussels airlines staff about this strange remark, they convinced me that I should get my miles.

After some shopping at the B-pier in Brussels I went to the aircraft. At the gate Hainan's Airbus A332 B-6133 . Boarding went normal and the load factor in Eco was something about 80-90 %. I had seat 11H in the forward eco compartment. Since this was my 4th flight to Shanghai this year, on the 3 other flights I had the opportunity to fly with Swiss, I can compare this flight with the others.
Some very strange remark, Swiss has about 70% Chinese persons on the flight and Hainan 70% Europeans. Strange isn't it? After the flight I knew why.

After reaching cursing altitude the crew started serving lunch. In general the taste was not bad, but also not spacial. The lunch consisted of a salad and a hot dish, I had potato with some beef (If I still can remember), some fruit and a cake. Hainan serves juices and soft drinks with it and also "some" wine was available.
They also served a breakfast just before arrival in Shanghai.

The seats were ok, but the flight entertainment system had so its own will. It refused to do what I wanted.

The return flight was on Monday the 25th. Departing in Shanghai at 00H10. Flight was SN4118 operated as HU7909.

Check-inn was a little bit chaotic. I had seat 13H this time. Since it was almost mid night at Shanghai Pudong terminal 1 it was very quit in the airport. At the gate Airbus A332 B-6089 was waiting for the flight towards Brussels.
Boarding went smooth, but the flight left Shanghai with half an hour delay.
I can be very short about the service on this part of the trip. It was almost the same.
The food was almost the same like on the incoming. The salad was not so fresh any more, already some brown spots on it. I asked for some wine with the food I got some, a half plastic cup of red (because it was finished) and a half cup of white wine. Also before arrival a breakfast was served.
We arrived 30 minutes late in Brussels.

My general feeling about the flight is quit poor. The tickets I had were a B-economy class and a Y-economy, so with a price of almost 2K € it was not cheap.

If I also need to compare the Hainan flight with my 3 previous Swiss flights to Shanghai, Swiss is much better. The catering of Swiss is much better, they offer on the same flight lunch, Ice cream, a sandwich and breakfast. They also have a wide (and enough) variation of alcoholic drinks. In general the service of Swiss is much better. And this is also why there are so many Chinese people flying on them I think.

Best regards,

Dave

regi

Re: BRU-PVG-BRU on SN/HU

Post by regi »

Dear Dave,
I read your report with great interest because I also need to fly this connection often.
I was also happy about the service of Swiss , food and so on. But the seats on those A340...how was it on Hainan ? ( clean?, seat pitch, the IFE box under the seat in front of you, hardness,...)

Duration: because of the recent direct flight you save about 4 hours and avoid the danger of Zurich closure ( fog, ice,...) Personally I think this is a major advantage for Hainan.

Malfunctioning IFE: too bad. Certainly a point that Hainan has to correct for super long flights. Btw how long did it take? ( 12 hours returning by Swiss from Pudong in a narrow seat with a IFE box next to your feet isn't great :| )

Your points: I hope that you still can add them up, such a flight brings in many miles ! :)

Passengers:
I saw some frantic Asian people in full panic at Zurich airport because of the airport subway. But at BRU they can complain about the long walk. Whatever.
I refer to my etnic remark concerning Jet Airways . Could it be that Chinese people just as Indians rather take a foreign brand instead of the Chinese product, just because they trust more the foreign product? Every Chinese bussines man I asked about his car preference was "imported Benz" with some exceptions for a Q7 ( yep, the Audi mastodont) . The only Chinese made car that is regarded as acceptable is the Nissan Teana.
Price: 2,000 € is not cheap ! Probably short duration , on short notice and without a Sathurday overstay?

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

Hello Regi,
I was also happy about the service of Swiss , food and so on. But the seats on those A340...how was it on Hainan ? ( clean?, seat pitch, the IFE box under the seat in front of you, hardness,...)
I don't know if there is a big difference in hardness between Swiss an Hainan seats. The only thing I noticed was that I had a little b*tt pain during the Hainan flight. Cleaniness was +/- ok, but after a time toilets are not so clean any more, it is still Chinese staff.

Some other small issues are for example, during the flight they offer some water to drink. Swiss offers mostly bottles, Hainan uses paper cups. On a bottle you just can sip and close it to use the remaining part later, a cup you need to drink at once because the lack of a cup holder. Swiss uses proper metal forks and knives, Hainan plastic. On the Shanghai -Brussels flight: if you order coffee with milk, they just pore the milk from a big can directly in to the coffee, result some light brown thing to drink. It are only small issues but if they sell expensive tickets in eco, you also want to see a proper service.

I don't care if I need to step over in Zurich if the +12hour flight is better. BTW Zurich airport is quite nice and easy. Last month I made also a Swiss flight to Mumbai, I had only 40 minutes between de-boarding the Mumbai flight and take off of the Brussels flight. I managed it without a problem.

The other advantage that I already had with Swiss is that I got a free upgrade on the Shanghai to Zurich flight, and that was supreme! This is of course something you can not blame Hainan for, that I didn't get it.
Your points: I hope that you still can add them up, such a flight brings in many miles ! :)
I hope I will get them, so that I will have my senator card before the end of the year.

Best regards,

Dave

regi

Post by regi »

thank you for the swift reply

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

The amount of FF miles you receive on a SN BRU-PVG flight is not mutch: 0,000000000

Since the miles are given by the airline who operates the flights, and you can only receive miles on the Miles and More card from Star Alliance airlines. So Hainan is part of Star alliance, you receive nothing.

It is quite pity. SN is "telling" (or at least giving the impression) that you can earn miles on these flights, and makes a comment that the amount can be different from the quoted one.

From SN website:
* These flights are operated by a partner airline. Miles credited on your account by partner airline may differ from the ones shown above
and
The frequent Flyer policy of the operating carrier applies, please consult the website of our partner for up-to-date information.
Then the challenging job comes, finding some info on the HU website. Result I can't find info about this issue.

The answer from the help desk (only in Dutch):
Op de website http://www.milesandmore.com vind U al de partner airlines van het Miles & More frequent flyer programma.

Hainan Airlines, die de vluchten uitvoert tussen Brussel en Shangai, is geen lid van het Miles & More programma en ook geen lid van de Star Alliance. Voor deze vluchten kan U geen mijlen sparen op de Miles & More kaart.

Op de website van Brussels Airlines staat dit ook vermeld tijdens het reservatie proces:

- bij de pagina VLUCHT 1 staat onderaan * * Deze vluchten worden uitgevoerd door een partner luchtvaartmaatschappij. Het aantal toegekende mijlen voor deze vluchten kan verschillen van het hierboven vermelde getal.

- bij de pagina SAMENVATTING 3 staat bij tariefvoorwaarden:
De frequent flyer regels van de uitvoerende maatschappij zijn van toepassing. Gelieve de website van de partnermaatschappij te bezoeken voor up-to-date informatie.

Voor verdere vragen over het Miles & More programma gelieve ons telefonisch te contacteren.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Miles & More Team
The answer on my e-mail came from M&M and not from SN.

If you want to know how many miles you receive you have to read several websites and than maybe you have the right info. Isn't that a perfect example of bad communication?
Also SN should update their own staff at the ticketing corner @ Brussels airport. They told me before departure that I would receive miles.

So my question is, what is service is SN offering for its customers with the HU codeshare flights? From my point of view nothing!

Best regards,

Dave

Outsync

Post by Outsync »

You will get miles on your MM card if you have a Brussels Airlines ticket 082, and you will get miles on Fortune Wings on a Hainan ticket 880

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Thank you for the trip report, liebensd.

> After reaching cursing altitude

At what flight level was it that everyone started cursing? 8-)

curse [kɜːs]
1. a profane or obscene expression of anger, disgust, surprise, etc.; oath
2. an appeal to a supernatural power for harm to come to a specific person, group, etc.
3. harm resulting from an appeal to a supernatural power to be under a curse
4. something that brings or causes great trouble or harm

Stij

Post by Stij »

I always fly Hainan because otherwose I have to change planes twice and the trip would take far to long. The routing I always take is BRU-PEK-XMN.

And yes, my experiences are the mostly the same as yours but I would like to add a few remarks:

1. The schedule has been optimized for connections to Afrika, resulting in a dreadful schedule if you do not originate or go to Africa: one deaprts in BRU at 12:30 and arrives at PEK at 5:30 (23:30 in BRU), so very difficult to get a nap... and then at 7:30 (1:30 in BRU) I have my connection to XMN where I arrive at 10:30 (4:30 in BRU). And because no way on earth your hotel room is available at that time, I have no choice but to start working... I admit the return flight is pretty convenient: XMN 21:10 23:45 PEK 1:30 (so sleepy enough to get a nap) 5:45 BRU. And as I return most of the time during the night of Saturday on Sunday, I return home by the bakery, pick up the rolls and go to my family: nice feeling. Although a nice late afternoon flight (standard return from China) would be more comfortable as well.

2. The smell!!! On Hainan, China doesn't start at PEK, but in BRU, when you approach the door of the A330, you smell China! It's incredible. And no, it's not a nice Uulong tea you smell.

3. On most of my Hainan flights there were a lot of (load) Chinese tourists.

4. A couple of my conculeagues told me they managed to get in C on Hainan for 2500€ (booked via SN), next time I'll try to go for that.

Cheers,

Stij

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

Outsync wrote:]You will get miles on your MM card if you have a Brussels Airlines ticket 082, and you will get miles on Fortune Wings on a Hainan ticket 880
This is the ticket info: SN/ETKT 082 273800xxxx, so we will see. At least SN's information is not so clear.
Stij wrote:. The smell!!! On Hainan, China doesn't start at PEK, but in BRU, when you approach the door of the A330, you smell China! It's incredible. And no, it's not a nice Uulong tea you smell.
On my flight to Shanghai, there was also a smell in the cabin. 4 or 5 Rows behind me someone trowed up. The people sitting next to it had a nice smell for 10 hours or so. The crew tried to solve the smell with som perfume, but it was only working for some time. But this can happen on every flight.

Greetz,

Dave

Stij

Post by Stij »

On a flight between MUC and PVG one of our Chinese fellow travelers didn't trow up, but passed out completely and lay in the galley on the floor. Our LH cabin crew wasn't worried a bit. Apparently this had happened before...

Cheers,

Stij

P.S. This was one of the best crews I ever had, and it was all about the little details. Upon boarding the plane a steward greeted me, verified my boarding pass and said "Welcome aboard Mr. X, we reserved a window seat for you tonight". After dinner and just before the lights were switched of, the purser passed in the isle and asked everybody who was still awake individually if everything was fine, if they needed anything... And yes, I was travelling economy (as always). It didn't cost LH a penny, but you feel... welcome and special... even if you know you're not.

regi

Post by regi »

Stij wrote:On a flight between MUC and PVG one of our Chinese fellow travelers didn't trow up, but passed out completely and lay in the galley on the floor. Our LH cabin crew wasn't worried a bit. Apparently this had happened before...

Cheers,

Stij
You mean: the crew was assuming that the passenger was drunk as a skunk. So they were not worried that he had a heart or brain failure?

Outsync

Post by Outsync »

Well about the smell, I don't think the smell causes any discomfort...

Have you ever been on a Jet Airways aircaft, Brussels Airlines or Hewa Bora? Even the American carriers have a distinctive smell...

Stij

Post by Stij »

Outsync wrote:Well about the smell, I don't think the smell causes any discomfort...

Have you ever been on a Jet Airways aircaft, Brussels Airlines or Hewa Bora? Even the American carriers have a distinctive smell...
Yes, flew them all! But Chinese carriers are a bit different in my opinion. But you;re right it''s not really discumforting, you get ysed after 5 minutes or so.

Cheers,

Stij

worldtraveller931

Post by worldtraveller931 »

I took HU flight to BJ now about 4 times.
since there is now a direct flight and the prices are quite ok, this is a big advantage.
the seating in economy is better then average, the video and audio is quite well, but the service on board is not that good.
you will not get starved, but the catering is dissapointing. ( don't ask an extra additional wine or a litlle brandy after they came around with the meal)..