Hellenic Imperial to launch Athens – Johannesburg

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Hellenic Imperial to launch Athens – Johannesburg

Post by sn26567 »

Hellenic Imperial from 08JUN10 begins 3 weekly Athens – Johannesburg service with Boeing 747, according to the airline’s website. Schedule below:

Code: Select all

HT107 ATH0550 – 1330  JNB 747 257
HT108 JNB1530 – 0110+1ATH 747 257
Source: airlinereoute.net
André
ex Sabena #26567

regi

Re: Hellenic Imperial to launch Athens – Johannesburg

Post by regi »

I wonder how long they will keep this route - or is it just about football ?

cnc

Post by cnc »

seems like it.
as a small airline with old 742's doing charter flights mostly i don't see how they could fill up the aircrafts aside from the fifa world cup weeks

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

There is a perhaps a market as Greeks are fleeing their bankrupted country ?

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

From wikipedia : In December 2009, the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority redistributed the rights of some former Olympic Airlines routes as stipulated by the EU, with Hellenic Imperial Airways winning the rights to fly from Athens International Airport to Beirut Rafic Hariri International Airport, Dubai International Airport, and Johannesburg International Airport

They are now the only one flying to Joburg from Greece, so there should be a market, no?

I like the old 747 200 bird. It has 8 C-class seats (ex-LH) upper deck , nice.

Funny to see a 747 only airline. Reminds me of good old Tower Air.

regi

Post by regi »

andorra-airport wrote:From wikipedia : In December 2009, the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority redistributed the rights of some former Olympic Airlines routes as stipulated by the EU, with Hellenic Imperial Airways winning the rights to fly from Athens International Airport to Beirut Rafic Hariri International Airport, Dubai International Airport, and Johannesburg International Airport

They are now the only one flying to Joburg from Greece, so there should be a market, no?

Funny to see a 747 only airline. Reminds me of good old Tower Air.
same same with Thai Pacific Airline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Pacific_Airlines

LJ

Post by LJ »

andorra-airport wrote: They are now the only one flying to Joburg from Greece, so there should be a market, no?
Unless there just isn't a market between Greece and Sout Afirica anyway). Furthermore, how can one operate a 747 classic economically nowadays? The fuel bill must be enourmous....

BTW their flight times are very "customer friendly".
regi wrote:I wonder how long they will keep this route - or is it just about football ?
No, the flight is bookable long after the World Cup

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

There was a feature about Hellenic Imperial in Airliner World for January 2009.

Mr Talal Abu Reyel, Hellenic Imperial Airways Chairman and Managing Director, acknowledged during his meeting with Airliner World that he did not enter the aviation business to make money but rather for a sense of personal fulfilment.

"Hellenic Imperial is a profitable venture, but making money will not impact what I do, he said. The real satisfaction for me now is to how I use my money. I look at the fact that the company is providing employment, supporting the country and bringing happiness to many."

Well, well !

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

Hellenic Imperial was mentioned in the May 2010 edition of Airliner World.

According to Airliner World Hellenic Imperial has plans to start both domestic and international services from Athens this summer.

Domestic services would be to: Alexandroupolis, Chania, Heraklion, Mykonos, Mytilini (Lesvos), Rhodes, Santorini and Thessaloniki.

International Services (medium-haul) would be to: Beirut, Bucharest, Damascus, Dubai, Geneva, Larnaca, London and Paris.

Long-haul flights are planned to Johannesburg, New York and Toronto.

They are trying to securing 737-400 or 737-800 aircraft. They are also looking to replace the 747-200's with either 747-400's, Airbus 340's or Boeing 777's.

In the long term they plan to fly to India, Japan and China.

Hello everyone from a new aviation enthousiast member =)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

theeuropean wrote:Hello everyone from a new aviation enthousiast member :)
Welcome to Luchtzak! Enjoy your flight with us.
André
ex Sabena #26567

cnc

Post by cnc »

theeuropean wrote: They are also looking to replace the 747-200's with either 747-400's, Airbus 340's or Boeing 777's.
i hope they go for the 744 then
btw they do have cute FA's 8-)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Hellenic Imperial Airways, the Greek 747-200 operator that mainly provides charter services, has indeed launched a scheduled route, intending to fill the gap in the Greek long-haul market. On 8 June, the airline began flying three times a week between Athens (ATH) and Johannesburg (JNB), conveniently timed for the FIFA World Cup event in South Africa.

From August, the frequency will be reduced to twice weekly. The route was operated for more than a decade by Olympic Airlines until September last year, shortly before the airline was transformed into the new Olympic Air, which operates short-haul only.

Next in line for Hellenic Imperial are flights to New York, which are expected to begin this summer.

Source: anna.aero
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

cnc wrote:
theeuropean wrote: They are also looking to replace the 747-200's with either 747-400's, Airbus 340's or Boeing 777's.
i hope they go for the 744 then
btw they do have cute FA's 8-)

Last december, there was a 742 ready for delivery at Marana. Don't know if it's has been delivered by now or not, because I've seen recent pictures of Marana where a 742 in Hellenic Imperial c/s is in storage with several pieces missing.

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

If I remember well, they came to BRU for pilgrims to the Hadj, and there were problems due to overbooking, the plane was badly damaged by the passengers.

cnc

Post by cnc »

JAF also chartered one of the 742's for a weekend for a flight to PUJ and some european flights if my memory serves me well

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

cnc wrote:JAF also chartered one of the 742's for a weekend for a flight to PUJ and some european flights if my memory serves me well
Indeed, was at BRU and OST.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Hellenic Imperial reduce Athens – Johannesburg service from Sep 2010

Hellenic Imperial Airways from 30AUG10 reduces Athens – Johannesburg service from 3 to 2 weekly. Sunday flight is being discontinued, as per GDS timetable display on 14JUL10.

Source: airlineroute.net
André
ex Sabena #26567

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

Some exciting news (at least for me), it looks like Hellenic Imperial is planing to launch new international routes out of Athens starting in June.
So far they concern:

Athens-New York JFK
Athens-Toronto
Athens-Montreal
Athens-Chicago (completly new route)

This was all found on their site and it seems that they are much more engaged with this launch than Jo'burg.

http://www.hellenicairways.com/

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

Hellenic Imperial Airways has added 2 A321-200 aircraft to its fleet and is looking to add Airbus A340-300 aircraft to expand its operations (including scheduled flights)...they are going to start some interesting routes out of Athens ([un]fortunatley not BRU) lets see how long those routes will last...They have also signed a customer agreement with Airbus.

www.hellenicairways.com

LJ

Post by LJ »

theeuropean wrote: This was all found on their site and it seems that they are much more engaged with this launch than Jo'burg.
Apparently ATH-JNB was only for the World Cup