Brussels-Zurich-Shanghai with Swiss

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
liebensd

Brussels-Zurich-Shanghai with Swiss

Post by liebensd »

Hello,

For business reasons I will be “stationed” in Shanghai for the next months.
The flight that has been chosen was with Swiss trough Zurich to Shanghai. The reason was very simple, the cheapest (Company policy), so of course economy class. I did made already long haul flights with Swiss so I knew they were not bad.

The first flight was Brussel-Zurich.
Flight: Swiss LX787 Brussel-Zurich
Date: 20-03-2010
Aircraft: HB-IJV A320
Departure: 10H00

I arrived well in time on the airport. At the check-inn counter was a small queue. Since I would be several months away I had more than the normal allowed 20 KG with me. During the check in I was waiting until the girl would tell “Sorry Sir but you have too much luggage”. But for some reason I don’t know this question didn’t came so I was lucky. Or I need to say my company was lucky. Thanks Swiss.
I received the seat 33D, somewhere in the back of the aircraft. There were only a few people on the flight. I was impressed how Swiss divided the different classes in the aircraft. Something about 40% of the seats were reserved for business class.
Since the flight was only a short one, less than 1 hour you can not expect a lot of service. We received a croissant, a drink and a Swiss chocolate. On arrive in Zurich a bus picked us up and dropped us at the Shengen arrivals.
For the international flight I needed to change form terminal. A train/subway takes you from the on to the other terminal. During the ride you can enjoy some Swiss landscapes and cow sounds.

Zurich-Shanghai Pudong.
Flight: Swiss LX188
Date: 20-03-2010
Aircraft: HB-JML A340-300
Departure: 13H00

Seat: 41B so again in the real back.
I boarded the flight with the first people. This has a very good reason, on many flights people are carrying a lot of hand luggage. On most short-haul flight you have a problem when you board late, than you can place your bag in the seat in front of you and away your leg room.
The flight was full or almost full. After departure a lunch was served. Because I wass in the back I hadn’t a chiose any more between Chicken (I think it was chicken) and Ragout. My neighbor had the last chicken. The taste of the food was not bad, but I have experienced already better eco-class food. A week before I did BRU-DME-BRU with SN, and to be honest the food there was better. I was hungry enough so my plate was empty when I gave it back.
The entertainment system onboard was good. Enough choice between different movies, it were movies on demand. After 3-4 hours of flying a nice refreshment was served a wonderful ice-cream of Mövenpick. After reading some hours, the crew was there again with something to eat and drink. This time it was a sandwich.
Before arrival in Shanghai a breakfast was served. The arrival was some 30 minutes ahead of schedule. The nice thing was that (on both flights) you can see on the landing and departure entertainment system. There are several cameras placed under the aircraft and in the landing gear.
Passing trough boarder control and customs was very fast. I guess they are prepared for the World expo next month here in Shanghai.
Overall the flight was good. 3 years ago I did the same flight but with BA trough Heatrow. For several reasons I think Swiss, or this flight was better.

Dave

sn26567

Re: Brussels-Zurich-Shanghai with Swiss

Post by sn26567 »

Hi Dave,

Nice to read that you had a good flight. It seems however that the seats you got were not the best for an aviation enthusiast. Did you not ask for a window seat?

I nevertheless agree with you that Swiss still has an excellent reputation.

Enjoy Shanghai!
André
ex Sabena #26567

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

Hello André,

I never ask for a window seat, always for an alley seat. I am almost alway traveling alone, and than you have alway the problem that you need to disturb someone before you can go to the bathroom or the luggage compartment.

Dave

regi

Post by regi »

I did exactly the same flight. Swiss is okay. And the ice cream is a nice touch. But it is a long flight. And when you come back within some months, it will be even an hour longer because of the head winds.
At those moments you feel the small seat pitch. :|