Oldtimers Fly-In

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips

Moderator: Plane spotting team

meerkat

Oldtimers Fly-In

Post by meerkat »

Can anyone help with details of this years Oldtimer Fly-in please?

I cannot find the website for previous years (computer crash - favouites lost!!) and have not seen any details for 2003. Will there be an event this year?

Thanks for any help

Meerkat

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

Meerkat,

http://www.dac.be/flyin/

Greetz,

Dave

luchtzak

Re: Oldtimers Fly-In

Post by luchtzak »

meerkat wrote:Will there be an event this year?
Ray,

I have seen it on a website that they will not do a fly-in this year because of some trees that are too high on one end of the grass-runway...

Too bad, because I made nice pictures last year ==> https://www.aviation24.be/modules.php?name ... ivatefleet

Expecting them back in 2004 !! Expecting....

ciao,

Bart
:rock:

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

Thanks for the info guys.

I guess that I will now have an extra weekend free to visit some other airfields.

Bart, i have seen your pics - excellent. Definately remind me of the weekend I spent in Diest!

Meerkat :wink:

twan01

Oldtimer Fly-In's

Post by twan01 »

Meerkat,

The Schaffen Fly-In is indeed cancelled for this year because some trees in the extention of the runway which caused the accident last year.

If you have nothing to do for today and tomorrow, you still can go to the SV-4 fly-in at Deurne. Of course not as big as Schaffen but with good weather still worth a visit .

On the "Events" page of my web site www.aroels-aerialphotography.be you can find some further information on interesting aviation events.

Regards :
Keep 'Em Flying !!

"Twan"

www.iapa.be

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

I did not see the crash into the trees last year as I had to leave at lunchtime Sunday - thank goodness as I am not keen to see aircraft fall from the sky! I was at Paris in '73 when the Tu-144 crashed and will be happy never to witness such an event again.

As to the SV4 fly-in - would love to go but as it's my wifes birthday...........! I did get to Bierset today however as well as a quick drive by Maastricht so not too bad an aviation weekend!!

Meerkat :wink:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

meerkat wrote:I was at Paris in '73 when the Tu-144 crashed and will be happy never to witness such an event again.
Ray,

today I added a movie off the Tu-144 crashing. What a coincidence !

Check https://www.aviation24.be/modules.php?name ... le&sid=915

ciao,

Bart
:rock:

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

today I added a movie off the Tu-144 crashing. What a coincidence !
You must have been reading my mind!

Ray 8O

Lyulka

THE Question

Post by Lyulka »

What was the cause of the crash?
1) Pilot's mistake: did a maneuvre from which he must have known the aircaft couldn't handle it.
2) Failure of the onboard computer.
3) Something with a mirage which took of some time before the crash?

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

There has been much speculation as to the cause of the accident with TV programmes made and experts quizzed. One problem has always been the lack of info from Soviet sources, I believe, particularly regarding stuctural failure etc.

If memory serves the strongest theory is now that of another aircraft (Mirage?) in the vicinity causing the pilot to make evasive maneuvres which overstressed the airframe.

I think though that this is one of those mysteries which attains mythical status (like the shooting of JFK) with conspiracy theories flying about obscuring the real facts.

Meerkat