Sabena Technics: 371 jobs at risk

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

LX-LGX

Sabena Technics: 371 jobs at risk

Post by LX-LGX »

During a special board meeting, management has told the employees that they will have to restructure the company. Prognose for 2008 is a loss of 13 mio euro (turnover 125 mio euro).

Source (Dutch only so far?): Het Laatste Nieuws:
http://tinyurl.com/dfjaeh

Desert Rat

Re: Sabena Technics: 371 jobs at risk

Post by Desert Rat »

I'm not surprised, most of the profitable activities have been transfered on the french side... :roll:

AF332

Post by AF332 »

A question related to this: does anyone know how well the business is going in the Snecma plant (Safran Group) in Brussels (near the DHL plant)?

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I guess that soon there will be a similar announcement for Snecma BRU, the aim usually is to bring back the business to the home country...

Andries

Post by Andries »

Rumours about loss of jobs were allready circulating inside the company for quite some time now. However, nobody expected the number of jobs to be so high. 370 jobs means 1 in 3 people :shock: . That would mean that fom the collegues in my team, at least 2 (or 1 and myself) will lose their job ... Sad day ! :cry:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

regi

Post by regi »

Just a question, no critiscism: would the fires and loss of airplanes and spare parts have influenced this decision?

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

nope, they took the money and did not reinvested it...

spokkie

Post by spokkie »

Maybe yes.
But overall not really.
TAT has got what they wanted, the sabena technics brand & havy militairy (c130) + nato.
The rest was/is just extra.

Now they shutdown havy, in a couple of years line & light.
And c130 + nato moves to france. Imo they already have taken away most profitable parts of snt bru.
ANd placed them in FR

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

It's sad news.

Years ago, Sabena Technics was known worldwide bacause of its famous technicians and their knowledge of Boeing. Multiple carriers let their aircrafts on Belgian soil for maintenance in that time.

It was a pity that TAT had to take over Sabena Technics. We all know what will follow. The mother company will take the best parts and the profit. The famous Sabena Technics has no future with this company, it will be disappear within 2 years if they don't take action. But what can they do? A lot of questions, but an answer?

Good luck all!!!!!!

Andries

Post by Andries »

spokkie wrote:TAT has got what they wanted, the sabena technics brand & havy militairy (c130) + nato.
The rest was/is just extra.
Inside the company, it is said that over half the people working in Hangar 8 (C-130 + Nato) will lose their job ... Not very bright prospects !

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Then the Belgian Air force should say that they don't want to go to Bordeaux with the A/C's, this is belgian tax money, it should stay in Belgium...

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Did they plan to rebuild the hangar lost to fire?

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

I don't know in how far it has contributed to Sabena Technics' problems, but Brussels Airlines' decision to insource the maintenance on its non-RJ fleets as much and as quick as possible certainly didn't help them either, did it?

SN has already insouced the entire maintenance cycle of their A319s, is currently running a program to insource more of the maintenance on their A330s too and with the integration VEX and their 737s, line maintenance on the 737 fleet is now also already done in house, with the prospect of going the same path as the A319s and the A330s.

Besides, with SN being bought by LH, I can image that in future any maintenance which Brussels Airlines can't do itself, might be done next door (or elsewhere) by Lufthansa Techniks, rather than by Sabena Technics...

The only positive note I can think of is that as a consequence of all the insourcing, Brussels Airlines currently has a lot of vacant maintenance related positions, maybe it is worth posting a link?

http://www.cvwarehouse.com/brusselsairl ... fault.aspx

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Buzz wrote:Did they plan to rebuild the hangar lost to fire?
You must be kidding...

Andries

Post by Andries »

Desert Rat wrote:
You must be kidding...
It was the intention to rebuild the hangar, but Brussels Airport wanted TAT to share in the costs. As we allready noticed, investment isn't really TAT's strongest side. They invested in the name 'Sabena Technics', which they now have. And that's it folks. They got what they wanted and now they are slowly closing down SNT BRU. No new hangar, some jobs lost now, a few more within some years and some years after that SNT BRU will be no more. Mark my words !

spokkie

Post by spokkie »

Andries wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:
You must be kidding...
It was the intention to rebuild the hangar, but Brussels Airport wanted TAT to share in the costs. As we allready noticed, investment isn't really TAT's strongest side. They invested in the name 'Sabena Technics', which they now have. And that's it folks. They got what they wanted and now they are slowly closing down SNT BRU. No new hangar, some jobs lost now, a few more within some years and some years after that SNT BRU will be no more. Mark my words !

You can't say theu don't invest. They invested havely in theire french locations.
But still alot of companys ONLY want SNT BRU.
They are already finding out that sabena technics doesn't provide the same quality across the line (french sites)

We have open skies (the only reason they are done in SNT BRU is on demand of BA)
TAM, A330 landing gear replacements. We did the 1st one (they where very happy) they went to nimes(if i'm not mistaking) very bad result. Now they ONLY want SNT BRU

Andries

Post by Andries »

spokkie wrote:You can't say theu don't invest. They invested havely in theire french locations.
Just my point ... their French sites, but BRU ???
spokkie wrote: But still alot of companys ONLY want SNT BRU.
They are already finding out that sabena technics doesn't provide the same quality across the line (french sites)
We have open skies (the only reason they are done in SNT BRU is on demand of BA). TAM, A330 landing gear replacements. We did the 1st one (they where very happy) they went to Nimes(if i'm not mistaking) very bad result. Now they ONLY want SNT BRU
This just shows that buying the name 'Sabena Technics' doens't automatically give your company the competence to deliver high quality.

By the way, the first TAM was originally intended for Bordeaux, but due to a strike at that site, the aircraft was done at BRU. Guess they like our Belgian Quality ;)

Greetz !

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

You can't say theu don't invest. They invested havely in theire french locations.
But still alot of companys ONLY want SNT BRU.

We have open skies (the only reason they are done in SNT BRU is on demand of BA)
TAM, A330 landing gear replacements. We did the 1st one (they where very happy) they went to nimes(if i'm not mistaking) very bad result. Now they ONLY want SNT BRU

And TAT is closing Nimes in a couple of years......
Many of the air forces aircrafts were there for maintenance..... but same as BRU... reducing and... in Nimes ..closing

sabenatechnics

Post by sabenatechnics »

spokkie wrote: Now they shutdown havy, in a couple of years line & light.
And c130 + nato moves to france. Imo they already have taken away most profitable parts of snt bru.
ANd placed them in FR
The problem at heavy maintenance is that the planes enter in a really bad condition (for example the latest Aegean stayed with us for over 6 months) but they exit almost brand new, at other companies abroad they only inspect what was asked to inspect, at snt when they find problems which wasn't on the inspection cards it still is going to be repaired maybe this is where the good name comes from?
the other big problem is the planning department, last month we had a A330 from TAM for a landing gear change, if you know that sabena technics didn't make any money on that plane whats the point in doing the job? for the moment their is an A320 from Cyprus inside for a C check ( it's a left over from dinar because they coudn't follow up ) on that plane, before it even enterd the hangar, they knew they would lose money on it so what is the point in working like that. maybe it's beter to fire some people in management or planning??

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

sabenatechnics wrote:[for the moment their is an A320 from Cyprus inside for a C check ( it's a left over from dinar because they coudn't follow up )
Left over or Cyprus didn't wanted the A/C to be Overhauled in Dinar???

I heard that Cyprus was not happy with the French TAT work last time...