So-called Desert Air Force numbers nearly 1,500 aircraft.

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

SN30952

So-called Desert Air Force numbers nearly 1,500 aircraft.

Post by SN30952 »

More than 200 commercial planes, including more than 50 giant Boeing 747s, are parked in neat rows a half mile west of Interstate 10. A handful do get sent to the crusher each year.
Airlines and aircraft leasing companies will spend $300 to $1,250 a month to park and maintain unused planes in the desert rather than sell them for parts and scrap metal.
The so-called Desert Air Force currently numbers nearly 1,500 aircraft. In reality, only a third, 508 built after 1979, are good candidates to re-enter commercial service.
Airlines plan to increase capacity by about 7% in 2004, to within a hair's breadth of what it was at the peak in 2000. In 2005, capacity might grow even faster.
New American CEO Gerard Arpey says the world's largest airline is "through running from competition with low-cost carriers."
Its capacity will grow at least 7% in 2004. To do that, it is re-installing two rows of seats in its B757s and A300s that were removed in 2001 to give passengers more legroom. It also will fly its planes more hours each day.
But American also is quietly making preparations to bring 28 McDonnell Douglas MD-80s and 14 Boeing 767s back into service earlier than the 2005 and 2006 time frame envisioned when they were parked in the desert. A decision has not been made, but American officials indicate that they are leaning toward an early return of the MD-80s, the first of which could be flying by summer.
United says its fleet plan won't be determined until it nears the end of its Chapter 11 bankruptcy process sometime next year. Industry analysts expect United to bring planes back from the desert to help fight encroachments by rival American and to combat low-cost carriers.
Other network airlines, some of which are still trying to get big labor concessions, aren't as far along in the process. But analysts say they all face the same competitive pressures pushing them toward defensive capacity increases. Most can, like American, squeeze more hours each day out of their planes to generate some extra capacity. But defending their market positions is likely to mean recalling planes from the desert.
Bernard Han, Northwest's chief financial officer, did nothing to calm analysts' fears during a conference call in October.
On the one hand, he said, "We do think that we ... need to be prudent about capacity growth in 2004. ... On the other hand, Northwest intends to vigorously defend our market share, as we see more aggressive capacity growth around us." Allen says the big carriers have little choice. "The low-cost carriers are all moving aggressively, and the big carriers will have to respond. They don't want to blink an eye and a year later have a big competitor" in markets they used to dominate.

twan01

Post by twan01 »

I visited David Monthan AFB and the military aviation cementaries in Arizona already some years ago.

One of the highlighted plans on my agenda for next year is a photo report on these civilian aviation stock-yards.
Keep 'Em Flying !!

"Twan"

www.iapa.be

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

Twan,

Don't you need than someone to carry something? ;)

Greetz,

Dave

twan01

Post by twan01 »

Dave,

I only have to carry about 20 kilo's of photomaterial and I have wheels underneath my photocase, so I think I still can handle it on my own,
however, I'll think about your offer :wink: :wink: :wink:
Keep 'Em Flying !!

"Twan"

www.iapa.be

Onetimer

Post by Onetimer »

At David Monthan AFB their are only former military airplanes? Not? But More North-West of Tuscun you there is a small airfield, called "Pinal", where Civilian airplanes are stored... When I was in Arizona for the SATC-training one of the old Sabena 747 was parked there. Also the 747 modified to transport Space-shuttles was there. You can land with small aircraft on that field or take pictures while you are airborne but on the ground you sometimes get chased away by the CIA ... they have a small base in a corner of that airfield. Thay have Cobra's and blackhawks standing there ...
If in the coming weeks I finally get a scanner I will put some pictures online...

See ya

twan01

Post by twan01 »

That's right "Onetimer",

Just at the other side of the road to Davis Monthan AFB you have also the Pima Air Museum, very interesting with a lot of unique aircraft.

For some special photography you also have to drive a little bit around looking for some scrap-yards were you surely will find some "Gone Glory"
Sad that some aircraft has to end their life that way.
Keep 'Em Flying !!

"Twan"

www.iapa.be

Lien

Post by Lien »

Onetimer wrote:Also the 747 modified to transport Space-shuttles was there. You can land with small aircraft on that
In my opinion there are two B747 modefied for NASA/Shuttle use, and are still in use.

Lien

Post by Lien »

Here are some recent pics of N911NA - N905NA

N905NA
N905NA

N911NA

N911NA - N905NA

Avro

Post by Avro »

It must be impressive to be standing near N911NA 8O

Comet

Post by Comet »

I've seen the Shuttle modified 747. This was in Iceland, and it had the Space Shuttle "Enterprise" on its back. It did a low fly past over the Reykjavik City Airport (the domestic airport as opposed to Keflavik International). There were crowds gathered on the hill opposite, but as we had a hotel room which overlooked the airfield, we had a superb view of it from our bedroom window. It was quite something.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

What was the Shuttle doing in Iceland? I thought it travelled only between Florida and California.

And outer space, of course!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:What was the Shuttle doing in Iceland? I thought it travelled only between Florida and California.

And outer space, of course!
I think it had been doing a tour of Europe or something, and I think it was going to the Paris Air Show at the end of its tour. Iceland might have been the first "stop" on the way from the US to Europe. I think that's the reason.
Louise

Lien

Post by Lien »

Space Shuttle Enterprise ?

I thought NASA had only 5 shuttles in service:

Columbia (lost recently)
Atlantis
Endeavour
Challenger (lost in 1986)
Discovery

Remain = 3

Onetimer

Post by Onetimer »

All those shuttles ... :offtopic:

Reviewing the links of all off you ... it might be possible that the one I saw there was an old one ...

Twan01 ...
I didn't mean Pima Air Museum ... For me one of the best museums in the world!!!
But I meant that at "PINAL" airfield a lot of civilian airplanes are stocked or even destroyed (when I was there they were a VASP MD-11) And I am convinced that the first post of this page goes about PINAL and not PIMA ...
If you go to AZ and visit the Tuscon area ... it is really worth to go there!!

Although I start to have doubts ... Marana exists too .. used to be Avra Valley... But in 1999-2000 it wasn't large enough to accommodate 747's

Onetimer

Post by Onetimer »

Marana ... seems like there are two of them ... Marana "Pinal Airpark" And "Marana Northwest Regional" (former Avra Valley)

Onetimer

Post by Onetimer »

Made a temporary "Group" at MSN.
Duality of files is to low for Airliners.net

Have a look
http://groups.msn.com/Arizonapictures/shoebox.msnw

twan01

Post by twan01 »

Onetimer,

I didn't mixed-up Pinal with the Pima museum. I know both.
I see that you know also a lot of these, and although I have some contacts in Arizona to inform me, your inputs on information would be appreciated too.

I'll keep you informed about my plans to visit, as soon as these take some concrete form.
Keep 'Em Flying !!

"Twan"

www.iapa.be

Comet

Post by Comet »

Lien wrote:Space Shuttle Enterprise ?

I thought NASA had only 5 shuttles in service:

Columbia (lost recently)
Atlantis
Endeavour
Challenger (lost in 1986)
Discovery

Remain = 3
Well I know for an absolute fact that there was a Space Shuttle called "Enterprise" because I saw it. It was being carried on the back of the modified Boeing 747.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

For anyone else who thinks I am making this up, follow the link below. This backs up my story about the Shuttle being taken to the Paris Air Show, though it does not mention Iceland, that is when I saw it!!!!!!!

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/res ... prise.html
Louise