BRU-IST-BRU with TK in C: Turkish delight!

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

BRU-IST-BRU with TK in C: Turkish delight!

Post by sn26567 »

I had to make an unforeseen quick trip to Istanbul and book in a hurry. I checked with Expedia Corporate and the direct flights on Turkish Airlines (TK) were fully booked in Economy. Business was still available at a cost barely higher than economy on the other airlines, which in addition imposed a transit in a foreigh airport. Company policy thus allowed me to fly business, an experience I had not enjoyed for years.

Thus, on Monday, 22 October, I arrived at the airport at 16:05 and proceeded to row 1 for check-in. Four counters were open for Turkish, one for business and three for economy. It did not make a difference: all four were as long and the C queue had passengers that had nothing to do there. They could not care less!

After 20 minutes it was my turn. After a quick check-in with an AviaPartner agent assisted by a TK lady, I was given an invitation to the British Airways lounge. I proceeded to the baggage scan, where the fast lane was not open, but the normal lanes were fast enough. And now, direction BA lounge. Very large and comfortable, with a lot of choice: all types of hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, fresh fruit, etc. A nice experience. I managed to give a few business phone calls in a quiet and relaxed atmosphere.

Flight TK 1940 - BRU-IST
Boeing 737-800 with winglets, TC-JGE (cn 29789/1065) "Tekirdag"
Seat 2A (dark grey leather, 2-2 configuration, middle seat replaced by a table)
STD/Actual: 17:35/17:45
STA/Actual: 21:55/22:25
Load factor 100% both in C and in Y

To my surprise the plane was a Boeing 737-800, whereas Amadeus and my confirmation e-mail from Expedia had mentioned an Airbus A321.

Boarding started at 17:05. Coming from the lounge I was among the last people to board. After settling in my comfortable seat, I was offered a drink (choice of champagne, orange juice or water; guess which one I chose!).

Due to ATC restrictions the plane pushed back only at 17:45, ten minutes late. Announcements were made only in Turkish, with a tape taking over for English. Unusual take-off from 07R in a beautiful weather.

As soon as we reached our cruising altitude of 11,700 m (no indication in feet on the screens), hot towels were distributed and a delicious meal was served. I cannot resist sharing the menu with you:

Mixed salad of garden leaves and celeriac
---
Smoked trout and rocket leaves salad
---
Red snapper filed with olive oil and herbs, ratatouille, romanesco flower, potatoes
or
Beef stew, steamed potatoes, mixed vegetables, green asparagus
or
Fettuccine pasta, roquefort sauce, spinach, tomato
---
Profiterole
---
Selection of cheese and butter

I selected the fettuccine, served very hot. A nice Turkish red wine with it. And a coffee and a Bailey's to finish. After that the flght attendants came regularly with drinks at will.

The flight itself was seamless, but not much to report. It was dark. A last round of hot towels to clean my face and my hands before landing.

Due to strong head winds we arrived late in a rainy Istanbul. It took me about hlf an hour to get a visa and clear immigration. My Priority-marked baggage was waiting for me.

Very nice experience indeed.

Just one question: with such a high load factor on the two Turkish Airlines daily flights between Brussels and Istanbul, I wonder why SN cancelled the route. It seems to me that by bilateral agreements they could hace caught a part of the fat cake.
Last edited by sn26567 on 23 Oct 2007, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

AF332

Post by AF332 »

I flew several times with SN Brussels Airlines to Istanbul (operated by an Airbus A319 or sometimes a BAe AVRO RJ85). The load factor was generally well (+/- 80%). But I think SN Brussels Airlines experienced too much price competition from Turkish Airlines.

Philippe

capetown

Post by capetown »

@ sn26567 -

did you have a glimpse at how economy looks like ? I'll try them on the BRU-IST route in a couple of weeks from here. Timetable says a 738 so I should be expecting an Airbus? :wink: Flew them in 98 long-haul - BRU-IST-KUL (the long haul part on a A340) - service was ok, but the male cc got a bit too enthusiastic about the two female friends traveling with me ...

chunk

Post by chunk »

Thanks for that sn26567 - glad you had a good trip on Turkish.

As for Economy capetown, my brother flew DXB - IST (he had a wedding there) - AMS on Turkish during the summer and he said that they were the WORST airline he had ever flown on. And trust me, he has flown on some utterly crap airlines in his time. But that is one person's opinion, others have said they are decent....only one way to find out!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

capetown wrote:Did you have a glimpse at how economy looks like ?
I cannot tell you the seat pitch, but it was full. Service looked decent: they got a hot meal.
André
ex Sabena #26567