Question about the future of ATC

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Yoyoman

Question about the future of ATC

Post by Yoyoman »

Hello dear Luchtzak members,

I plan to buy an air band receiver but before making such expense I prefer to remain careful. Here's my question :

Will the ATC communications remain technically the same in the future or will there be changes ? It would be a bad idea to buy such receiver if it won't be useful in long term ...

The device I'm talking about is the Maycom AR108. Do you know this model ?

Thanks for your advice,

bruno Misonne
www.brunomisonne.com

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

Hello,

It's not tomorrow that anything is gonna change... nor within the next years...

Please don't forget that monitoring frequencies is forbidden in Belgium...while publishing them online is even worse.

Kind regards

Yoyoman

Post by Yoyoman »

Thanks for the info TUB001 ... And regarding monitoring frequencies in Belgium ... I'm talking about ATC frequencies of course ... I am very surprised that it's not allowed, for this simple reason that online you can listen to hundreds of ATC frequenies live :? :?: including nearby airports such as Dublin, Rotterdam and ZÜrich.

However ... If I'm correct the actual broadcast and what you stream is I believe delayed with 15 minutes ...

Kind regards,

Bruno
www.brunomisonne.com

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

Hi Bruno,

Indeed, it's allowed in some countries but not in Belgium.
Too bad for spotters, but most of them don't care...

Regards

Godfather

Post by Godfather »

Just like all things -> if they don't catch you ....

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

The AR108 is a great receiver :)

Too bad it is forbidden in Belgium indeed.
Tot hier en verder

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I have an AR108 and while it's cheap and generally works well, still it is very basic. I find it hard to program, and lack the option to program it from an external PC or so. On the positive side it is VERY efficient on power, I need to recharge the couple of penlight-batteries only rarely.

Perhaps more important: it does not support 8.33 channel separation - though at present this is only a drawback for monitoring high altitude traffic.

Of course I only use my AR-108 on spotting trips to Holland and other cultivated countries. But as I stated before: in Belgium, and probably in most countries, the average policeperson is unable to distinguish an airband receiver from a mobile phone or an MP3-player or a GPS-navigation aid.

Sooner or later, R/T will be encoded and that will be the end to fun - till that day, enjoy!

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

It isn t that expensive either.
Procura NV (Vilvoorde) sells them for 99€ with warranty.
You can also order online via e-mail.

www.procura-nv.be then follow to pilot shop.

As long as you don't emit, they won't catch you. And you can't emit on an AR108.
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

Yoyoman

Post by Yoyoman »

Hello again,

Amazing feedback here : I obtained a lot more info than what I expected to get here ... I must say that this is the first time I'm posting a topic at Luchtzak that is not related with my aviation music ... Except 10 months ago when I was wondering if it is allowed to use a ladder at spotting places ... It looks like I love to check out what is perhaps forbidden :lol:

That AR 108 looks great but I was also amazed when I found out about this shop "Procura" which FLY4HOURS showed me via that link ! It's amazing what these guys are selling ! And also very practical that it's not far from where I live (wavre).

Music keeps me very busy but I would like to learn a lot more about ATC and this is logical since I love planes and spotting. By the way, I ordered this book today via amazon : http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 89-6680645

Thanks once more to have helped me so well !

Bruno

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

Then you are going to like this :

www.liveatc.net
and
www.flightaware.com

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

And this one is funny : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGVxXZGnHug

It's a 9min lasting JFK ground chat.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Yoyoman wrote:I must say that this is the first time I'm posting a topic at Luchtzak that is not related with my aviation music
Maybe you could introduce some ATC conversations in your aviation music? :wink:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Yoyoman

Post by Yoyoman »

I'm overbusy right now but I will be back later today !

@SN26567 : Thanks for the tip : However I have already been using many times ATC in my tracks. This is an example : "Tarmac Activity"

just click here : www.brunomisonne.com/tarmacactivity_128.mp3

That German pilot was perfect in that track !

Best regards,

Bruno

SAB-OM

Post by SAB-OM »

VHF communications will still be used for decades - don't worry :wink:

It takes decades to change something small in the aviation world, there are not only the standards which have to change but also the avionics...
Just see how long it takes for Mode S to be used (and correctly used)

Scanners, receivers.... are illegal in Belgium (although European legacy states otherwise) - Listening to communications not for your "business" is not allowed
and don't think Police won't know the difference ...
I have heard several people being checked by police around EBBR... the results are often different depending on the person involved (I guess it's a lot of paperwork ....)
in general: don't walk publically visible with a radio to avoid problems...
discretion advised 8)

If you want to learn about ATC: 1 golden rule: don't take everything you hear on a radio as perfect or "correct" -- meaning: every controller develops his own "slang language" after a while...

although - Belgium is following ICAO rules regarding RT phraseology ... If you compare this to U.S.A. (FAA 'rules') ... I wonder why there are so few incidents in the USA

---- 5nm - 1000ft is sufficient....

Yoyoman

Post by Yoyoman »

Thanks fo the links Fly4hours ... I knew that first one already, however the second one is amazing too while the ATC conversation is in my favourites :D

@SAB-OM : Great detailed and very satisfying answer being directly related with my first question, thanks !

@André : I just realize we've already been in touch earlier ... We only live 1 or 2miles from eachother !