Ryanair: only airline not providing wheelchair for free...

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

SN30952

Ryanair: only airline not providing wheelchair for free...

Post by SN30952 »

I introduced this case in Luchtzak Latest News -LLN-
Bob Ross, 54, is claiming the £18 fee he handed over is discriminatory and no-one should have to shell out for such a service.
He was charged £18 for the use of a wheelchair when he travelled from London to Perpignan in France in February last year and again on his return journey a month later.

Mr Ross told Central London County Court that he rarely used a chair, preferring crutches or sticks instead but that he finds walking extremely painful. The 1km journey through the airport was too much for the regular traveller to manage, the court heard.
"The distance at Stansted is such that it is totally impossible for me to get from the check-in desk to the aeroplane without using a wheelchair," Mr Ross said.
Stansted Airport and low fare airline Ryanair, with whom Mr Ross was flying, disagree over which of them should foot the bill.
Ryanair could absorb the cost of paying for passengers' wheelchairs by adding just 2p extra to the price of each of its flights, according to the claimant?s legal team.

Ryanair is currently the only airline in the UK that does not provide wheelchairs free of charge to those that need them at Stansted.

Jason Galbraith-Marten, for Mr Ross described Ryanair as a "no frills airline" which keeps down costs by having planes on the tarmac for no more than 25 minutes. Ryanair adopted a position suggesting that use of wheelchairs was a matter of choice ... a frill akin to sandwiches or newspapers, and Ryanair does not provide that frill.
He said, however, that there had been some change now in this attitude by the airline.

Lien

Post by Lien »

The wheelchair problem has been discussed in a pragramme on the BBC a while ago.
They asked the question to Michael O'Leary with his usual answers.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Lien wrote:They asked the question to Michael O'Leary with his usual answers.
And what did he answer ?

I have my opinions about Ryanair but don't want to retype it, you can check it via this link: https://www.aviation24.be/sutra17992.html#17992

Such a shame that they discriminate elderly, disabled and other minorities!!

TWA

Post by TWA »

Most cargo companies treat their shipments better than Ryanair does?

Again, shame on you, RYANAIR :evil: :pang: :heyyou:

TWA :cool2:

JetB

Post by JetB »

Be careful what you say TWA :? I expect a response from A318 soon :wink: Anyway I know its hard to stay neutral when we talk about this airline but hey, we have a new member.
His name is Sean and he is going to be a Ryanair cabin crew member soon.
So after the glitter and glamor is gone, I hope to get the real inside not the propaganda he is spreading now :twisted: (just joking kid).
So many topic's about Ryanair !
Simple conclusion NO SUBSIDIES NO RYANAIR

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

This is an outrage :!: :evil:
They should get punished badly for such discrimination and inhuman treatment :!:

I hope no otheer low-cost carrier ever tries to imitate Ryanair, because it seems to pay off until now, but it's starting to change because of all those :censored: things :!:

ciao,
TriStar :censored:

Lien

Post by Lien »

luchtzak wrote:And what did he answer ?

The passenger demanded a wheelchair (service) provided by Ryanair and did not get it.
Michael answered that the pax should go with his own wheelchair to the check-in
and than they will arrange it for him to get on board with his wheelchair.
The passenger did not like this solution.(according to Micheal O'Leary).
(this is only the short story as Michael O'Leary has his way of explaining,like
can been seen in that BBC programme which also appeared on Canvas).

A318

Post by A318 »

Well you know how it goes, nobody likes Michael but (almost) everybody flies Ryanair and (almost) nobody likes Bill Gates but everybody uses Microsoft products, strange world hey ;)

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Lien

Post by Lien »

Latest news on Ryanair:

Ryanair decision faces delay

Budget airline Ryanair announced a new route from its Brussels hub on Monday as news emerged that an EU decision on its airport deal may be postponed until January.

The “no frills” carrier is launching nine new routes from England, Sweden and Germany as well as one from its disputed Belgian base in Charleroi.

Brussels is investigating whether Ryanair has benefited from illegal state aid to fly into the airport, 40km south of Brussels.

A difficult decision on the EU probe has been put back by the European Commission’s transport directorate which was initially due to announce its findings in September.

Two possible dates for a decision in December also now look unlikely to be met due to a packed commission agenda.

"We are looking at a decision in January 2004," said an EU official.

Speaking to journalists in Charleroi airport on Monday, Ryanair Chief Executive Michael O’Leary repeated his appeal to the commission to rule in the company's favour.

O'Leary stressed that Ryanair had confidence in the airport by opening up a new route from Charleroi to Valladolid in Spain - amounting to an investment of $60 million.

"Today we are renewing our commitment to Brussels Charleroi airport by announcing a new Spanish route to Valladolid. This new daily route will commence on 15 January 2004, and will deliver 100,000 additional passengers and create 100 new jobs in the Walloon economy."

"We remain hopeful that the EU Commission will support the enormous benefits for Belgian consumers and visitors of low fares air services at Brussels Charleroi," added O'Leary.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Lien, your post is :offtopic: in this thread on wheelchairs, but I will nevertheless answer to some of the bullshit of Mike:
Lien wrote:O'Leary stressed that Ryanair had confidence in the airport by opening up a new route from Charleroi to Valladolid in Spain - amounting to an investment of $60 million.

"Today we are renewing our commitment to Brussels Charleroi airport by announcing a new Spanish route to Valladolid. This new daily route will commence on 15 January 2004, and will deliver 100,000 additional passengers and create 100 new jobs in the Walloon economy."
The investment in Charleroi is zero and additional jobs in Charleroi as well, because at the same time Ryanair is opening a new route to Valladolid it closes the route to Liverpool: no additional planes, no additional crew, no nothing! Only a change of destination.
André
ex Sabena #26567

SN30952

Judgment reserved to an unspecified date

Post by SN30952 »

The judge at Central London County Court reserved judgment to an unspecified date. (reported DEC05)
I keep following the case.