emergency ebci

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

jaf217

emergency ebci

Post by jaf217 »

hello,
I was flying today @ Charleroi and there was an emergency today with ryanair flight number 1928 if I remember good. Does anyone have more info?
I just heard that they would coming up at a higher speed, and a possible break overheat

gekko

Post by gekko »

Hey,

I have heard that their slats were locked. They came back (after burning some fuel) for landing at ebci (slats locked, F15). At higher speed than usual (which explains the risk of hot tires).

Grtz

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

gekko wrote:Hey,

I have heard that their slats were locked. They came back (after burning some fuel) for landing at ebci (slats locked, F15). At higher speed than usual (which explains the risk of hot tires).

Grtz
what is a slat ???
What happened to the passengers then? Was it an oubound or inbound flight ?

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

The slats is the movable part of the wing leading edge...

Slats at the front,Flaps at the back part of the wings

if the slats are locked in the retracted position, then the landing speed will be higher than usual....hence the risk of brake overheat....

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Must have been an interesting landing for the passengers. The runway at CRL is not overlong, and there is usually a firm braking at every landing, even with slats extended...

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

airazurxtror wrote:Must have been an interesting landing for the passengers. The runway at CRL is not overlong, and there is usually a firm braking at every landing, even with slats extended...
see, this is something I never understood at Charleroi, the runway is 2550m long, which is way more than the majority of Ryanair airports or other runways in the world (England, La Guardia, Washington-National, Carcassonne etc.) and still the landings are always rough. Why ?

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

stefanel wrote: and still the landings are always rough. Why ?
No idea what your source of inspiration was here, but this is far, faaaaaaaar, from being the case!

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

stefanel wrote:still the landings are always rough. Why ?
Never had a problem, always smooth landing !
Source ????

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Not always rough, and not always smooth, but often a rather firm braking with reverse thrust.
Source : my some 50 landings with Ryanair at CRL ( as a passenger, I am no pilot).
I guess it's sometimes because of the weather, which can be rather bad : rain, wind, even snow. And sometimes, perhaps because the pilot wants to get the first exit, not going until the end of the runway ?

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

airazurxtror wrote:And sometimes, perhaps because the pilot wants to get the first exit, not going until the end of the runway ?
Not the case at CRL :wink:

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

Guys, how about leaving the benefit of the doubt???
I landed at Charleroi more than 20 times.
Very often the touch down is rough and the braking is firm.

Incidentally, I heard from a friend who was flying ULM at Charleroi that Ryanair requests the pilot to bump the nose quickly to accelerate the brake. I don't know if it's true and it hasn't influenced my feeling about those landings.

Perhaps the runway is not flat at the touch down point ?

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

stefanel wrote:I heard from a friend who was flying ULM at Charleroi
What's that? EBCI is class D airspace, no? controlled anyway, so closed to ULM for sure???

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

If a runway is long, braking is not determined by the runway length itself, but the briefed exit point. It's funny to see how much time you can gain/loose during the taxi compared to the flight time. Braking strength chosen depends multiple factors: parking position in the first place, brake temps and turnaround time, runway condition, ATC requirements...

It works in two ways by the way (sometimes heavy braking, sometimes "let it roll")

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

jan_olieslagers wrote:
What's that? EBCI is class D airspace, no? controlled anyway, so closed to ULM for sure???
With a special permission from the BCAA it is normally OK. Otherwise you're right (except that is it a class C airspace), according to the AIP's, ULM's are not allowed at CRL.

The only "true" thing in Stefanel's posts is that indeed on contaminated, short, ... rwy's, the goal is not to do a perfect kiss landing... but stopping your plane is! Not by "bumping the nose quickly to accelerate the brake", though... :lol:

And indeed Stefanel, the rwy is not flat at the "touch down point", it has quite big holes (don't worry, they are made visible by huge white crosses so pilots can avoid them!!!) and that probably explains why you have been shaked more than 20 times there.

This goes beyond everything anyone can expect on such a forum... pffffff, come on!!!

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

TUB001 wrote: And indeed Stefanel, the rwy is not flat at the "touch down point", it has quite big holes (don't worry, they are made visible by huge white crosses so pilots can avoid them!!!) and that probably explains why you have been shaked more than 20 times there.

This goes beyond everything anyone can expect on such a forum... pffffff, come on!!!
Was the runway not resurfaced in 2Q2007 ?

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

TUB001 wrote:
jan_olieslagers wrote:
With a special permission from the BCAA it is normally OK. Otherwise you're right (except that is it a class C airspace), according to the AIP's, ULM's are not allowed at CRL.

The only "true" thing in Stefanel's posts is that indeed on contaminated, short, ... rwy's, the goal is not to do a perfect kiss landing... but stopping your plane is! Not by "bumping the nose quickly to accelerate the brake", though... :lol:

And indeed Stefanel, the rwy is not flat at the "touch down point", it has quite big holes (don't worry, they are made visible by huge white crosses so pilots can avoid them!!!) and that probably explains why you have been shaked more than 20 times there.

I am totally puzzled by your offensive posts. What is wrong?

jan_olieslagers

Weather, mainly. There's several threads going rough, I just stepped aside. Though I'm getting nervous myself as it's hard to plan further flying lessons...

jaf217

Post by jaf217 »

Airbus330lover wrote:
TUB001 wrote: And indeed Stefanel, the rwy is not flat at the "touch down point", it has quite big holes (don't worry, they are made visible by huge white crosses so pilots can avoid them!!!) and that probably explains why you have been shaked more than 20 times there.

Was the runway not resurfaced in 2Q2007 ?
Yes we have very beautifull runway now ;-). still need an extension but i don't know when they will start to work on it

jaf217

Post by jaf217 »

stefanel wrote:
TUB001 wrote:
jan_olieslagers wrote: What's that? EBCI is class D airspace, no? controlled anyway, so closed to ULM for sure???

I am totally puzzled by your offensive posts. What is wrong?
Could you maybe give a definition of a hard landing, you are maybe talking maybe about normal landings.
I only saw one strange landing; a bumpy one and it was the first flight of the FO. What you could maybe have when coming from England or Dublin, these are the "ab initio" flight as they are base in these 2 country mainly and that why all landing are not kiss landings :)
In CRL the runways is 2500m so I thinks there is no problem of length as there come sometimes MD80 (which make a late rotation), B757, and 747 in the past, there was also BAE 146 of TNT and SN Brussels, C130,…..

Now if you want a really good definition of a hard landing make a flight with tub001 ;-) just kidding you know me it was a good opportunity 8). hope to see you soon in the air
:wink:

jan_olieslagers

jaf217 wrote:Could you maybe give a definition of a hard landing
Didn't I once read
"a good landing is one you can walk away from"
"a perfect landing is when the plane can be used again"
?

(you kidding then I can too...)

Bit more serious though: I'm still puzzled by the guy reportedly flying an ULM at EBCI. Of course everything that is disallowed can be allowed by special procedure, but it would seem strange to me. Does anyone know of such a permission being handed out at any of our controlled aerodromes? Specifically for ULM's, I mean.
What I can imagine is an ULM approaching a CTR, normally he'd have to circle it, but nothing stops hing from calling tower and requesting permission to cross the CTR visually. It seems to me that if traffic is very calm, his chances of being cleared are quite fair, and even better with a transponder on board.
BTW I take training at EBBZ marginally outside EBCI CTR, we often see Cessna's and the like on their way to/from training at EBCI, but never did I see an ULM entering or leaving the CTR.