Airbus has suffered another monumental setback

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

bits44

Airbus has suffered another monumental setback

Post by bits44 »

Airbus can't buy a bit of good luck, another costly setback, luckily no one was hurt.

http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_objecti ... _page.html

DFW

Post by DFW »

Bummer!

An engineer buddy of mine was on duty when the wingspar of a C-17 Globemaster came crashing down. He and another senior engineer mediculously examined every inch of it to check for damages. They found nothing to reject the wingspar, but it still took some balls to sign off on it.

If that Lufthansa bird falls out of the sky 20 years later, the JAA/FAA will still have the paperwork as to who signed off on the repairs.
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly an airplane?

waldova

Post by waldova »

I´m sure this happens at every factory once. Ofcourse this will cost a lot of money. Maybe the fault of this is not the tecnici who was working that day but on the engineer that developed the crane that had to carry the wing. But this indeed is will just be a waste of money now for Airbus.

teach

Post by teach »

The title of this topic is seriously misleading. How is this a 'monumental' setback??? It's a simple accident in a plant. It'll cause ONE A340 to be delayed in delivery. That's no reason to jump for joy, but a 'monumental setback'?? Please man...

fleabyte

Not monumental

Post by fleabyte »

I agree it is not monumental, but it is not trivial.

If I was Lufthansa, I would refuse to accept that wing, and make them build a new one, who knows what stress this drop has caused internally

waldova

Post by waldova »

Well, I'm sure that Airbus and the costumer will investigate the wing totally before deciding it can be used for a new plane. But it would be stupid to build a new wing if this wing can be simply repaired and be as good as new!

Airbus330lover

Re: Not monumental

Post by Airbus330lover »

fleabyte wrote:I agree it is not monumental, but it is not trivial.

If I was Lufthansa, I would refuse to accept that wing, and make them build a new one, who knows what stress this drop has caused internally
But you'r not LH :lol:

bits44

Post by bits44 »

It's a simple accident in a plant. It'll cause ONE A340 to be delayed in delivery

It not a A340 wing.

An Airbus insider told the People: "As blunders go, it is astronomical.
"Jumbo wings are incredibly expensive and take a long time to build, so the repair bill is going to be massive.

There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

bits44-

The WING was an A340 wing, NOT a wing for an A380, as can be decuted from the span mentioned: 206ft is correct for the A340, the A380 wing has a span of roughly 260ft!

Besides, some close reading would also have shown you as the article mentions "the plant ALSO produces wings for the A380".

Anyhow, this is an industrial accident, certainly not a nice thing, but things like this HAVE happened before and will happen AGAIN too.... that's why companies like A and B have their own inductrial accident 'insurance' as part of their business plan....

C_J

Post by C_J »

Strange they are talking about a 'JUMBO-jet' all the time. Is the A340 a jumbo?

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

These days, every plane that has 4 engines and looks big is a Jumbo ...
Tot hier en verder

teach

Post by teach »

It not a A340 wing.
Yes it is.
"Jumbo wings are incredibly expensive and take a long time to build, so the repair bill is going to be massive.
Where exactly does it say here that it was not an A340 wing?

bits44

Post by bits44 »

Sorry I didn't realize that A340's were now considered to be Jumbo jets,
my mistake.
There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

MX727

Post by MX727 »

Somebody is going to get fired.......if not already. Good that nobody was hurt. Wonder how LH is going to get involved checking that wing.
Regards,
JAHC

Avro

Post by Avro »

That's indeed a very costly mistake !! Thanks for reporting

But as we say: sh*t happens ;)

Chris

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

MX727 wrote:Somebody is going to get fired.......if not already. Good that nobody was hurt.
The article states "The gigantic 50-ton plane part which had taken TWO MONTHS to build was smashed in seconds when a support chain snapped. "

That means it wasn't a human error, it would have been one in case someone took the wrong chain (e.g. 20 ton instead of 10 ton ...), so, unless you know how it or what happened exactly, don't make your conclusions too fast :roll:
Last edited by Bottie on 02 Jan 2006, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

fleabyte

someone will get fired

Post by fleabyte »

I had a colleague at Martin Marietta that got a pink slip for a crane operator hitting a Titan 4 nose cone, always will be a scapegoat for a high visibility industrial accident

regi

Post by regi »

Sadly enough Airbus gets a bad name here. But who supplied the hoisting equipment? If a chain snaps, it means or that the anti snapping didn't work (to prevent too heavy loads are lifted) , or that the chain was substandard.

DFW

Post by DFW »

It may or may not be human error. But I'm willing to bet it was. Cranes, like airplanes, are designed to not fail when operated and maintained properly. Industrial equipment are usually built with factors of safety of 4, meaning it takes 4 times normal operating loads to break the equipment. (Airplanes use a FS of 1.25-1.5, to shave off weight.)
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly an airplane?

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

If your crane can lift a maximum payload of 50 tons, and you use a chain that can take 20 tons and then lift a payload of 30 tons with the result the chain breaks , we can talk about human failure, and in this case the 'anti snapping thing' won't have any result.

When you lift a 20 ton payload with chains that can handle this, and they snap, then you have bad luck, sometimes damage on lifting equipment is not visible.

A word about a the 'anti snapping device' ... When your chain snaps, this won't help you, it is the control unit that is built in the hoist that decides when a payload is too heavy or not:

On this picture, you can see the control unit on the right, and this is configured with the specifications of the hook and (steel)cable . When you try to lift a 20 ton payload with a 10 ton hoist, you will lift it 5mm and the control-unit will descent the payload until the (overload) tension on the cable is gone, that's it.

In the following case:

The hook has a maximum payload of 60 tons, the payload on it is 13.5 tons, the chains are 4x 5 tons, so with those 4 chains you can lift 20 tons. Let's say, someone took the wrong chains, 4x 2.5 tons, you have a capacity of 10 tons, and you lift that piece, then you have a bigger chance you can search for your piece somewhere it wasn't mentioned to be placed. And, your 'overload protection' won't do anything, because the hook, cable and hoist didn't go in 'overload'. In this case, human failure...