Plane Spotting at DUB/EIDW.

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips

Moderator: Plane spotting team

BA028_Is_Diesel_Powered

Plane Spotting at DUB/EIDW.

Post by BA028_Is_Diesel_Powered »

Plane spotting at DUB is the best place I think. Its not tricky like LHR which you have to walk miles to a good site. But sadly DUB doesn't have a spectators corner like LGW. Dublin Airport is based in a little hill (if you have been there). Depending on the wind planes usually land from the NE direction and take-off to the SE direction. But it is not rare that the planes go the opposite way around. But I don't know why does morning flights take-off to the S direction. The normal plane spotting area known by many people is the Collinstown Road (beside the main runway). This place is usually crowded by cars. Its actually a little flat area covered in grass until someone drove their car into it. Then other people copied it and drove their car into it. But now this little area is covered by crappy tarmac. A barrier was built in the back to prevent cars getting stuck in the mud while they reversed. A bin was put there and late in the morning a little van arrives to sell hotdogs and burgers to the hungry plane spotters! But its only about 100 metres from the runway.
There is this place that very little people knows. This is the place that I got caught trespassing by climbing over the fence. Its quit tricky to get there. You usually miss the turn going into that road. You could also see the that place if you look from the Collinstown Road. Look directly to the fire station. Then look left from it, now you could see a wooden fence. Thats it! If you are there you are about 30 metres away from the taxiway. Now where do you prefer plane spotting at DUB?