Brussels Airlines in 2021

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Luke777

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2021

Post by Luke777 »

A330 pilot shortage; apparently Brussels Airlines has to cancel longhaul flights due to pilot shortage for their 330s, they do the utmost in searching pilots at rest with goodwill to perform some extra flights, but without a financial bonus, so the responce is poor... i wonder if the managers made already a simple calculation in difference between the cost of a bonus and canceling a complete flight ?

b.lufthansa

Post by b.lufthansa »

Lack of cabin crew as well. The airline cancelled at least 7 flights due to staff shortage.

A rumour was that the flight to JFK was cancelled to use the cabin crew for medium haul operations.

Luke777

Post by Luke777 »

They count on "goodwill" of the staff; meaning: without any financial compensation... i wonder if these requests are originated by german managers, but they have to understand: such things do not work in Belgium.

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

Luke777 wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 10:35 They count on "goodwill" of the staff; meaning: without any financial compensation... i wonder if these requests are originated by german managers, but they have to understand: such things do not work in Belgium.
Have you ever worked as crew member within a belgian airline?

Luke777

Post by Luke777 »

Me in Emirates, my brother is with SN

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Kapitein wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 15:18
sn26567 wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 15:08
Kapitein wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 15:03

OOSFB is currently in AMM, so maybe...
... to get rid of the Eurowings livery? It's about time!
hopefully :D

OO-SFB was to return from AMM today but flight got cancelled this morning.

According to FR24 she was to run SN379 on 04NOV. Doubtful then that she has a new spectacular livery to be unveiled on 18NOV. (But just getting rid of the ugly old one would do for me ;) ).

H.A.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Luke777 wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 08:30 A330 pilot shortage; apparently Brussels Airlines has to cancel longhaul flights due to pilot shortage for their 330s, they do the utmost in searching pilots at rest with goodwill to perform some extra flights, but without a financial bonus, so the responce is poor... i wonder if the managers made already a simple calculation in difference between the cost of a bonus and canceling a complete flight ?
Two days ago, I asked Brussels Airlines Public Relations what happened exactly and why these flights were cancelled. I got the answer today:

"We cancelled a total of 7 flights over the weekend (Saturday, Sunday, Monday), including two due to technical problems and 5 cancellations due to crew shortages. One of these 5 flights (Tenerife) was then operated the next day.

Regarding the shortage of crew that we faced this weekend: this was caused by an unusually high number of sick leave absences among our crew, mainly due to the autumn season and, of course, the pandemic, which requires heightened vigilance when feeling sick or having a cold. Like any operational company, we always provide a crew reserve to replace sick colleagues. This reserve is normally sufficient to ensure our operations, but the real statistics were not in our favour this time, unfortunately
."
André
ex Sabena #26567

HappyFA

Post by HappyFA »

sn26567 wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 17:18
Luke777 wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 08:30 A330 pilot shortage; apparently Brussels Airlines has to cancel longhaul flights due to pilot shortage for their 330s, they do the utmost in searching pilots at rest with goodwill to perform some extra flights, but without a financial bonus, so the responce is poor... i wonder if the managers made already a simple calculation in difference between the cost of a bonus and canceling a complete flight ?
Two days ago, I asked Brussels Airlines Public Relations what happened exactly and why these flights were cancelled. I got the answer today:

"We cancelled a total of 7 flights over the weekend (Saturday, Sunday, Monday), including two due to technical problems and 5 cancellations due to crew shortages. One of these 5 flights (Tenerife) was then operated the next day.

Regarding the shortage of crew that we faced this weekend: this was caused by an unusually high number of sick leave absences among our crew, mainly due to the autumn season and, of course, the pandemic, which requires heightened vigilance when feeling sick or having a cold. Like any operational company, we always provide a crew reserve to replace sick colleagues. This reserve is normally sufficient to ensure our operations, but the real statistics were not in our favour this time, unfortunately
."
I’m afraid that a lot of companys faced this problem the past weekend. The demand was really high and companys are stille afraid that when they hire people that they are with too much. Because it can all collapse really quick due the 4th golf. I think the struggle is real at this moment and I do understand the problem.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

OO-SFB due to return from AMM tonight, ETA 2040LT

Put on line tomorrow 05NOV as SN203 to DSS.

H.A.

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

Luke777 wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 12:33 Me in Emirates, my brother is with SN
And so your brother has never shown "good will" for the company? :|
I'm pretty sure belgian FCM/CCM show much more "good will" in general than in many airlines around us.

I guess there is a limit somewhere.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

sn26567 wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 17:18 Two days ago, I asked Brussels Airlines Public Relations what happened exactly and why these flights were cancelled. I got the answer today:

"We cancelled a total of 7 flights over the weekend (Saturday, Sunday, Monday), including two due to technical problems and 5 cancellations due to crew shortages. One of these 5 flights (Tenerife) was then operated the next day.”
A weird explanation, they had crews without an aircraft and at the same time aircraft without crew and nobody thought about swapping crew or aircraft...

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Pilot are trained to fly OR a330, OR a320's. You cannot just swap them. For cabin crew, we are all trained on a320 but not everyone fly a330.

Beside the certification there are more complex mater in term of rostering. If a crew was suppose to fly in the morning, you can't simply reroster them in the afternoon, it might be surprising but crew are human and have a life a family etc.

For those last minut change, there are crew on stand-by but even those stand-by are during are certain period.

For the rest, crew can do good will (paid) but even for that it's not that easy as it could interfer with the duties of next days because of flight time/duty time.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

crew1990 wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 19:48 Pilot are trained to fly OR a330, OR a320's. You cannot just swap them. For cabin crew, we are all trained on a320 but not everyone fly a330.

Beside the certification there are more complex mater in term of rostering. If a crew was suppose to fly in the morning, you can't simply reroster them in the afternoon, it might be surprising but crew are human and have a life a family etc.

For those last minut change, there are crew on stand-by but even those stand-by are during are certain period.

For the rest, crew can do good will (paid) but even for that it's not that easy as it could interfer with the duties of next days because of flight time/duty time.
I know, I was working in ops/crewing, probably before you were born, but it would be very surprising if two A330 flights went tech and only 320’s were lacking crew. Sometimes you have to dig yourself into a hole to fill another one and hope you find a solution for the next day. Only that requires manpower in crewing, but as the company has been stripped to the bone...

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Then, if you was working in ops/crewing, probably before I was born, I guess you know that sometimes, shit happend and it's better to cancel flights and rebook 1000 pax than having a snowball effect having a repercussion on 1000 pax per day for a week.

Luke777

Post by Luke777 »

Pilots are trained to fly A330 ? By who ?? Most of SN instructors are retired or fired and no new instructors are hired, with the 330 instructors still available, conversion to 330 will take several months... apparently nobody had foreseen the indispensability of instructors

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

Luke777 wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 08:37 Pilots are trained to fly A330 ? By who ?? Most of SN instructors are retired or fired and no new instructors are hired, with the 330 instructors still available, conversion to 330 will take several months... apparently nobody had foreseen the indispensability of instructors
Could be, but your way of expressing training sounds old school. Training is done by SFI's, LTC's and TRI's.

Or maybe Belgian pilots, or companies, still think old school about training?

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

OOSSO is going to EMA, isn't there a repaintshop?
Just guessing :)

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Kapitein wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 06:17 OOSSO is going to EMA, isn't there a repaintshop?
Just guessing :)
Brussels Airlines repaint their aircraft at EMA & OSR, nearly all the time. The conference is in 11 days, so perfect timing if something happens.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Matt

Post by Matt »

It's a paint job on OO-SSO

Kinda weird that they choose an A319 for this and not OO-SFB... Owh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway: Maybe a retro Sabena livery, for Sabena being 20y bankrupt? :lol: (or are they changing the name back, that would be shocking :shock: - Sarcasm )

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

After Swiss and Austrian, now Brussels Airlines beeing a network airline, why not "Belgian"

I like Brussels Airlines but it's to me too long on a airplane and just "Brussels" does not sound goods in my opinion.