Aviapartner strike @ Brussels Airport (and Flightcare too)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

euroflyer

Re: Aviapartner strike

Post by euroflyer »

Well, in a democratic, well developed, modern country there should be other ways than going on strike (at least most of the time ...). If a certain group of employees like yesterday and today can go on strike without having had serious negotiations (and I do not mean just two or three rouds of meetings with management), without having had a proper, transparent (but of course secret) vote of all the employees in the company showing a clear majority in favour of going on strike this is a very, lets say special, understanding of your rights as an employee. Of course there need to be this possibility of a strike as an ultima ratio, but only as this! The management needs to be more compromised minded probably as well (but I do not know any details about the recent conflict, so I am careful here) and than all this should be possible to solve.

With strike like this nobody will gain anything. If the management is force to change anything they do not really are convinced is necessary they will just work to find a new way around it afterwards and workers will still be unsatisfied in the same way, is that so hard to understand :( ? And in the meantime the customers (pax and airlines) will look for different options if the strikes become too frequent ... (I am sure there are more options in Europe for JET to place their hub :shock: , it does not have to be in BRU ...).

I was lucky today to arrive with hand luggage only (I usually do this as most Business travellers do, simply to avoid exactly these situations which occur again and again - unfortunately not only in BRU I have to admit, but here maybe a bit more often than in other airports across the EU :mrgreen: ...

By the way, anybody describing all managers just as "STUPID" or anybody describing the workers just as "STUPID" is obviously disqualifying him-/herself and only shows to the rest of the world he/she has no idea of the work being done by that "opposite" people. This will NOT change anything and will not help anybody ;)

Come on, sit at one table together as developed human beings and discuss and decide what is REALLY necessary and possible and use your brains first before you act and speech.

YOUR CUSTOMERS (you remember? - the people paying the tickets and the fees of which your wages and salaries are paid :lol: ) will be thankful, but maybe you do not care and just want to follow any political agenda :(
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

an-148

Post by an-148 »

I couldn't agree more with euroflyer....

I've been working for 40 (FORTY) years now and never went on strike: I have to say that the reasons given by the unions were NEVER clear; spontaneous strikes were even more unclear in their motivations.
During the start of the strikes, I always got to hear: "if we succeed, you will earn the results too": after a badly managed strike, they obtained nothing!
Only long term discussions with the "bosses" resulted in satisfactory mesures.
................and, guess what: all colleagues told me I was right !!!!!

We are not anymore in the year 1900, when poor workers had to work 12 hours in the coalmines and send their children, aged 9-10 down the mine: at that time strikes were more than necessary.
Today, in our wellness coutries, people simply want to earn very much money and work as less as possible.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

JoskeDR wrote:don't get me started about that '500€ holiday is expensive for some families' crap, if you don't have the money DON'T GO!
Cheerz
What kind of reaction is that? Without those pax you won't have a job on the airport, think about that.
an-148 wrote:Today, in our wellness coutries, people simply want to earn very much money and work as less as possible.
Exactly, see one of my last posts on this topic: earn a lot and work as less. That's the spirit of today. Sorry but that's not how you run a company.

fc82091

Post by fc82091 »

Atlantis wrote: Do you know what the problem is? I see this also in our company, the "new" ones don't want to work very hard anymore. Before they start they have more questions about their loan then about the work etc.
Thats very true, also bad influence of co workers. on the other hand i understand that a lot of the workers have lost their motivation because of the management. i keep my motivation because i love the aviation sector & colleges and not because im so well payed or because the management top tells me im doing a great job
Atlantis wrote: I know that Flightcare has some new equipment and this for (un)load cargo, baggage. Totally new equipment for disembarking pax, etc. I don't think that they have to complain about their equipment.
yea we have some new equipment and it sure helps but it didn't solve everything ;)

an-148

Post by an-148 »

zteven

Post by zteven »

an-148 wrote:Today, in our wellness coutries, people simply want to earn very much money and work as less as possible.
I must remind you that the (un)loaders are NOT asking for a raise,
but simply for a more humane way of working. That's it.

I can see that this is hard to understand, but you have no idea
how many of these men's backs are literally broken. And those
medical treatments are NOT refunded because these 'injuries'
are not related to their work, says the 'boss'.

Equipment is an issue as well, but promises are made from the
management that new equipment has already been ordered.

Let's just hope they'll achieve an agreement soon.

Greetz

Steven

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

zteven wrote: I must remind you that the (un)loaders are NOT asking for a raise, but simply for a more humane way of working.
Well, that's the best joke I've heard in years. IT IS going about a pay rise, and the pressure at work is just your alibi, as you know that the press otherwise would blame you - remember the strike from the firemen, for their one Maaltijdcheque / Cheque Repas. If it would really be only about a "more humane way of working", you wouldn't go on strike - or you wouldn't push this strike that far.

zteven wrote: ... but you have no idea how many of these men's backs are literally broken...
Do you want us to believe that you have to work at conditions from the 19th century? Off course we all know that your work is physically the hardest at the airport, but then you are paid for it accordingly.

If the work is that dangerous that it brakes your back, I suggest you immediately contact Labour Control / Arbeidsinspectie. And when that's done: there are plenty of vacancies at the airport. Ask Securitas / Securair for example.

zteven wrote: ... And those medical treatments are NOT refunded because these 'injuries' are not related to their work, says the 'boss'.
Our medical system is totally independent from the employer's opinion, so it's not "the boss" who can decide if an injury is labour-related, and if medical treatment has or hasn't to be refunded. Actually, the system is more in favour of employers then "bosses".

janhuub

Post by janhuub »

Atlantis wrote:Exactly, see one of my last posts on this topic: earn a lot and work as less. That's the spirit of today. Sorry but that's not how you run a company.
That is exactly how companies are run these days: companies wont to earn as much as possible with the less possible recourse ( manpwer and equipment)

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Atlantis wrote: Do you know what the problem is? I see this also in our company, the "new" ones don't want to work very hard anymore. Before they start they have more questions about their loan then about the work etc.
Not only in aviation industry.
and... read in the first posts....
A man said....:"I'm paid to unload the luggage and not for drinking and smoking half of the time."
Let time works and they will see a reduction of work due to decreasing of traffic

EBBR

Post by EBBR »

Aviapartner strike at least till 1300 :arrow: a referendum will be held with employees concerned.

Flightcare discussions between Unions and management have been cancelled yesterday night, no idea when the negotiations will be restarted.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1901/reisnieuw ... ngen.dhtml

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Our medical system is totally independent from the employer's opinion, so it's not "the boss" who can decide if an injury is labour-related, and if medical treatment has or hasn't to be refunded. Actually, the system is more in favour of employers then "bosses".
In case of medical affection caused during the workhours, it's insured by private insurers (Aciidents du travail!) The boss as no decision to made. The insurer decides. If the worker disagree with the insurer he have the option to go to the court (Tribunal du travail). The court costs are paid by the insurer !.

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

janhuub wrote:
Atlantis wrote:Exactly, see one of my last posts on this topic: earn a lot and work as less. That's the spirit of today. Sorry but that's not how you run a company.
That is exactly how companies are run these days: companies wont to earn as much as possible with the less possible recourse ( manpwer and equipment)

Yeah, but you cannot blame anybody for this, not the management and not the employees. Because this is THE basic pillar of a market economy, isn't it? If anybody wants to change that, you will have to change the economic system our European countries (and probably more than 80% of the world nowadays) are working with. And their is nothing wrong with this (at least from my point of view), quite a number of countries in the world have tried for years and years to work with different systems and the outcome was, well, not too convincing :oops: .

The problem is not that there is a conflict of interest (customers want the cheapest price but perfect service - companies, their management and their owners want big profits with low costs and risks - employees want long term, secure and good working conditions, short working hours and high wages), the problem is the way how some people try to solve those conflicts! :!: Our should I say the problem is some people do not want to solve those conflicts at all, they want to increase the conflicts because they think that makes their specific jobs more secure (sounds crazy, but some professional trade unionists - and maybe one or the other in some managements as well - seem to think exactly along those lines :oops: )
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

luchtzak

Re: Aviapartner strike @ Brussels Airport (and Flightcare too)

Post by luchtzak »

Industrial action at Brussels Airport

Yesterday evening at about 7 pm Aviapartner workers who ensure the handling of aircraft on the apron have downed tools. A number of flights either had to be cancelled or diverted to other airports. In the latter case, coaches are provided to take passengers from Brussels Airport to the other airports. Negotiations have started at 9 am. A solution is not expected until this afternoon.

This morning, workers with Flightcare, the other handling agent at Brussels Airport, joined the strike in solidarity with their colleagues at Aviapartner. In spite of these actions several flights can actually depart. Passengers are advised to call the special information number 02 753 73 00 or to contact their airline.

Passengers who arrived earlier today can currently not retrieve their registered baggage. We do not expect this baggage to be available before the end of the strike.

Thousands of passengers are affected by this industrial action. Today over 25,000 passengers were expected to depart from Brussels Airport and almost as many were expected to arrive. Members of staff of The Brussels Airport Company and other airport companies try to inform the passengers as best they can, both in the call centre and the passenger terminal itself. Once the strikers go back to work, it may take several hours before the traffic situation at Brussels Airport is back to normal.

Staking Aviapartner en Flightcare: moeizame onderhandelingen/Grève Aviapartner et Flightcare: négociations pénibles

Onderhandelingen tussen directie en het personeel van Aviapartner verlopen moeizaam. Een voorstel vanwege de directie werd bij bespreking met het personeel verworpen. Nieuwe onderhandelingen zijn nu opgestart, maar het water bleek nog te diep voor een snelle oplossing, heet het bij Aviapartner.

De stakende personeelsleden van de andere handling agent, Flightcare, beslisten hun solidariteitsacties verder te verbinden aan de besprekingen die bij Aviapartner aan de gang zijn.

Brussels Airport blijft hopen op een snelle oplossing, maar wijst erop dat de gevolgen van deze actie zelfs in het gunstigste geval nog voelbaar zullen blijven tot dinsdag.

Les négociations entre la direction et le personnel d'Aviapartner se déroulent péniblement. Une proposition de la direction a été rejetée par le personnel. De nouvelles négociations ont repris, mais une solution ne sera pas trouvée rapidement, déclare-t-on chez Aviapartner.

Les membres du personnel en grève de l'autre compagnie d'assistance en escale, Flightcare, ont décidé, par solidarité, de se rallier aux pourparlers en cours chez Aviapartner.

Brussels Airport continue à espérer une solution rapide mais souligne que les conséquences de cette action, même dans le cas le plus favorable, se feront ressentir jusqu'à mardi.

http://www.brusselsairport.be

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

As an employe of AP I can tell that there has been sufficiant notification to the management about too high work presure. But after months there are still no changes made to do anything about it.
The management even hired a consulting group to investigate where there are to many people. :shock:

And yes I can't speak for the employees at handling but at the cargo division there are way to many shortages in number of employees/shift. The management just doesn't seem to understand the aviation buiness is a buisness with high's and lows. One shift there is nothing to do and the other shift it's busy as hell.

At this moment, a CALM period, there are even shortages in employees. ALL shifts there are extra's demanded. A nice outlook at what's comming in the final quarter of this year.

These shortages do alraidy have a bad effect on service levels. Planes have more and more delays and clients are getting discontent.

This a side, yes, the future is'nt clear. It might be possible that there is going to be a drop in tonnages. But counting on that to level work pressure is a bit short sighted.

And just one more thing. The reason why people keep working in this sector is that most of them are affected by the aviation bug. NOT THE WORKING CONDITIONS!!!!!
(e.g. extreme flexibility, high workload,...)

Mirror

Post by Mirror »

BrightCedars wrote: Anyone knows who handles Cyprus Airways? We have business with them tomorrow...
It seems that they diverted to Liege
Mirror

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

brusselsairport wrote:
BrightCedars wrote: Anyone knows who handles Cyprus Airways? We have business with them tomorrow...
It seems that they diverted to Liege
Confirmed on another forum viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23616#p192463
but for today only....

zteven

Post by zteven »

LX-LGX wrote:
zteven wrote: I must remind you that the (un)loaders are NOT asking for a raise, but simply for a more humane way of working.
Well, that's the best joke I've heard in years. IT IS going about a pay rise, and the pressure at work is just your alibi, as you know that the press otherwise would blame you - remember the strike from the firemen, for their one Maaltijdcheque / Cheque Repas. If it would really be only about a "more humane way of working", you wouldn't go on strike - or you wouldn't push this strike that far.
Clearly you know more than I do about this strike from the (un)loaders in my company.
And I guess that you were also at the negotiations? No?

As a loadmaster I am not on strike. I was just trying to brief you fellow forummembers
about the situation within the company but I guess that's not necessary because some
of you seem to know a lot more than I do.

Greetz

Steven

EBAW_flyer

Post by EBAW_flyer »

I must remind you that the (un)loaders are NOT asking for a raise, but simply for a more humane way of working.
I can say you for the flying staff the current situation is NOT a humane way of working. Some of the crews are flying all night, flights departing after midnight, and landing around 9-10AM. Not to mention the uncertanty and all the waiting.

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

For years now, the management of FC and AP have ignored what happens to their workers.

If people here think it's normal to be only two off loaders/bagagists to handle the luggages and the cargo of an A330-300, then there is something I don't get... What about a redcap in charge of three flights at the same time ??
This is what they live everyday.

When you play with fire, you get burned one day or the other. If the "Audi-BMW" managers now pretend they didn't see that strike coming, then they are even more stupid that I thought (an euphemism in the Belgian aviation world).

This strike is a good reminder: "Sabena's demise is well behind now, so stop trying to f*** us by saying that other people wait for our jobs". This is over. All my support to them. And other ones operating from BRU should stop playing with fire. ;)

EBBR

Post by EBBR »

The topic disappeared from the website but last month flightcare luggage loaders already issued a strike warning!

Een verwittigd man is er 2 waard!