A lot of cancelled SN flights?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

firrech

A lot of cancelled SN flights?

Post by firrech »

Since beginning September, every day, I can read a lot of cancelled SN flights (sometimes Birmingham, Bristol, Malaga, Manchester, ...).

Does someone know reasons?

Thank you.

Q-pot

Post by Q-pot »

Not enough pilots on AVRO sector

Solution was the wet lease of 3 MD83, but these have problems (licences)so not flying yet for BA

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Will these problems result in routes being cut? I'm sure that one Flightline MD can't hold up BruAir for very long?

Ems

brussels airlines

Post by brussels airlines »

I don't think routes will be cut, as you can see on another topic and on luchtvaartnieuws.nl they are opening a new EU line: Ljubljana.

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

brussels airlines wrote:I don't think routes will be cut, as you can see on another topic and on luchtvaartnieuws.nl they are opening a new EU line: Ljubljana.
Fair enough, cancelling flights but not cutting then adding new routes... there must be a logic involved somewhere! :?

Emirates

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

200 % brussels airlines logic :oops:
In favor of quality air travel.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Emirates wrote:
brussels airlines wrote:I don't think routes will be cut, as you can see on another topic and on luchtvaartnieuws.nl they are opening a new EU line: Ljubljana.
Fair enough, cancelling flights but not cutting then adding new routes... there must be a logic involved somewhere! :?

Emirates
Brussels Airlines will cease operations to Valencia as of November.

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

Atlantis wrote:
Will that be just during the winter or indefinetly?
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Not later than this morning, I was organising a meeting in a hotel not far away from Brussels Airport. One of the main speakers, a German, was coming from Frankfurt, and the best flight for him to be on time was one of the 2 daily SN flights. Glad to see a German selecting SN over LH!

Guess what: the SN flight was cancelled. He had to re-book on LH and was of course half an hour late in my meeting.

SN has only two daily flights to/from FRA. If one of them is cancelled, they loose the customer, whereas with 10 daily flights, LH can easily rebook on another of their flights.

It means that, if you have to cancel flights, you better look at which destinations it will harm the least.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Totally right. 200 % b.air logic again :cry:

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

euroflyer wrote:
Atlantis wrote:
Will that be just during the winter or indefinetly?
Definitive

SN1203

Post by SN1203 »

Emirates wrote:
Of course there is a 'logic involved somewhere'. Brussels Airlines has x aircraft, x cabin crew and x cockpit crew for x number of flights. Scheduling will never publish a destination if there is no crew/aircraft/slot/... to fly it.
Air Key West wrote:200 % brussels airlines logic
Exactly! If you have to cancel a flight for whatever reason during the morning wave, and LH has enough free seats to accomodate Brussels Airlines' pax within +/- 30 minutes from the original schedule, you would be stupid to cancel a flight with higher pax loads/more difficult reroutings/...

By the way, it is not because you have 7 daily flights to a destination that you have enough free seats to accomodate passengers from a cancelled flight.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

sn26567 wrote:Not later than this morning, I was organising a meeting in a hotel not far away from Brussels Airport. One of the main speakers, a German, was coming from Frankfurt, and the best flight for him to be on time was one of the 2 daily SN flights. Glad to see a German selecting SN over LH! Guess what: the SN flight was cancelled. He had to re-book on LH and was of course half an hour late in my meeting. SN has only two daily flights to/from FRA. If one of them is cancelled, they loose the customer, whereas with 10 daily flights, LH can easily rebook on another of their flights. It means that, if you have to cancel flights, you better look at which destinations it will harm the least.
Although some here don't like it when legislation is brought forward, it has to be done also here, to understand why this flight was probably cancelled.

When a flight is cancelled within 7 days before departure, the airline has to pay each pax 250 euro indemnity (for a BRU-FRA), on top of the rerouting costs. This compensation however has not to be paid if "pax are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival."

As SN1203 said: by cancelling this one flight and with many LH-flights as alternative, the unconvenience for the passengers was limited.

It's not pleasant for an airline to pay the 250 euro compensation. But more important for them is the possibility that, with a decent rerouting, the client won't be that mad, and will book again.

firrech

Post by firrech »

Terrible the number of cancelled or high delayed SN flights.
On 21 September, about 4 cancelled and 5 high delayed....

How can they continue on that way??

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

The MD-83 is not here yet it seems.
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

One single reason: LACK OF CREW.
There won't be any M83 since Flightline was unbale to fly the due contract.

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

What do you mean by no MD-83?

Welcome to apocalypse airlines :lol:
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Yesterday (21st), OO-VEK had a broken cockpit windshield and another 737 also had a technical problem. Hence the number of delays and cancellations.
I'm in love with my lust, burning angelwings to dust, I wish I had your angel tonight...
www.myrre.be

EBBR

Post by EBBR »

An average of 8 flights cancelled each day!

Nice impression for potential Brussels Airlines buyers or investors :roll: :cry:

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Are you sure 8 flights cancelled ? I'm not connected all day long to Brussels Airport's web site, but I don't see that many flights cancelled. This morning I saw Helsinki was cancelled.