How to make good pictures: share your experience

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

William

Post by William »

But there must certainly be an aperture that is really the maximum to take a good pic of an airplane ? ...

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

I think it also depends on the lens you use.

I take the sharpest pictures at around f9, with my Sigma 50-500. But Robin Zartos is using a Canon 90-300, and he takes sharp pictures at f6 :wink:

The best is to try try try :D And you'll notice there is no (or very less) difference between ISO 100 - 200 :idea:
Tot hier en verder

William

Post by William »

Your saying ... try your own thing, actually ?! :)
Well like I said ... I use 6.3 / 7.1 but I've never really compared the dfferences ...

Oh yes, another thing ...
What has to match ... something like 1/250, what's that ??

BieleAlbatrosy

Post by BieleAlbatrosy »

My equipment:
Canon EOS Digital Rebel
Canon 28-90mm
Sigma 70-300mm
recently added Canon 100-400mm L IS USM
2 x 512MB CF cards
Vosonic X's Drive VP-300 40GB

For the rest, I shoot in Av-mode, trying to stay at ISO 100, F6.3, but with the weather like nowadays often ISO 200.
When I catch too much noise in my picture, then there is always something like "Helicon Noise Filter" (Google for it). It really decreases the noise without deteriorating the picture too much. Be carefull with it, some small details or lines may become less visible, but really great program. It helped me get some pics on A.net which would otherwise have been rejected.

Stoney

Post by Stoney »

William wrote:But there must certainly be an aperture that is really the maximum to take a good pic of an airplane ? ...
No, if the lighting is good you can crank up your aperture to say 22. Notice if you do this almost everything in your pic will be in focus, this is not always nice.
I like pictures with the subject in focus and everything in front and behind of the subject blurred, this requires a lower aperture value, 6 for example...

William, just exercise on some "normal" subjects, people, cats, dogs, etc... See the difference in different settings and learn.

WoodPecker

Post by WoodPecker »

Hi guys,
always shooting at ISO 100 and aperture F8 (sharpest aperture for my lens).
Canon Digital Rebel (yup, got it in the US)
Canon EF 70-200 F/4 L USM
Canon EF 18-55 non USM
Lexar 512mb 40x

soon to be added : either sigma or canon TC 1.4X

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true

Andries

Post by Andries »

WoodPecker wrote:Hi guys,
always shooting at ISO 100 and aperture F8 (sharpest aperture for my lens).
Canon Digital Rebel (yup, got it in the US)
Canon EF 70-200 F/4 L USM
Canon EF 18-55 non USM
Lexar 512mb 40x

soon to be added : either sigma or canon TC 1.4X

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true
Very nice pics !!! Extremely sharp ! :thumbsup2:

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

William

Post by William »

Indeed ... nice pics you've got there WoodPecker !!

Buzzydriver

Post by Buzzydriver »

Hello guys,can i ask an question concerning a name i see on several sites? someone knows corne,it must be an photoshop or so?can you give me their websiteadress,thanks a lot

westwings

Post by westwings »

Buzzydriver

Post by Buzzydriver »

thank you for the very fast answer

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Stoney wrote:sharpness (focus) doesn't have anything to do with ISO values...

ISO is the speed of your "film". The higher your ISO value, the less light you'll need to make a correct exposure...

If you want to have more sharp pics I would suggest to get your shutter speed as high as possible and also put your aperture on a higher value...
(If lighting allows you to do this offcourse)

If you read my previous post you'll see how aperture(diafragma) can control the sharpness of your pics...
You can probably imagine that if your shooting at 4.5 aperture a very small area of the pic will be "sharp". Resulting in a general "unsharpness" on the pic. So get that aperture to a higher value and a bigger area of the pic will be in focus...

Depth of field (scherptediepte) is one of the most important rules in photography, learn it, and never forget it!!!
I wouldn't tell that ISO has nothing to do with the sharpness of your picture. The three most important parameters of every photo are ISO setting, shutter speed and aperture.

On a cloudy day, you might consider switching to ISO 200 or even ISO 400. Why? Well, it's true that it will increase the grain on your photo, but your sensor will be more sensitive to light. Therefore you'll be able to retain the same shutter speed of eg 1/500th but with an increased aperture of f/8.0 instead of f/4.0 or so when using ISO100.

So basically, if you're using Tv-mode (Canon), and thus keep your shutter speed constant, increasing your ISO value will increase the DOF and hence overall sharpness of your photo since the aperture will have increased.

You should look at it as some sort of triangle: shutter speed, aperture and ISO value are all related to each other and should be well-considered in order to get the result you want.

Greets,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

Buzzydriver

Post by Buzzydriver »

Hello guys,a little question.how many photos can i store on an 1 giga compactflash card in a nikon d70 in the maximum pixelconfiguration?
2é question, the shop topfoto in germany,take they also my old equipment over,minolta 500 with standard glass + 75 300, 4 years old.

Andries

Post by Andries »

Buzzydriver wrote:Hello guys,a little question.how many photos can i store on an 1 giga compactflash card in a nikon d70 in the maximum pixelconfiguration?
2é question, the shop topfoto in germany,take they also my old equipment over,minolta 500 with standard glass + 75 300, 4 years old.
Number of pics on a 1 Gig CF ...
I don't own a D70, but considering the number given by Dpreview (2.2Mb / JPEG large - Fine), you would get approximatly 450 pictures on 1 card.
You have to keep in mind that when taking pics of aircraft in blue sky's, the filesize will drop and you can easily get over 500 shots ! Whenever you take pics with very very much detail in it, the filesize could rise ...
Basic rule is : the more detail, the bigger the filesize !
If you take pictures in RAW format, or *.nef files with Nikon, your card could be full after 100 to 150 shots as the sizes of these pics can go up to 8Mb !

Thenumber of pics (RAW+JPEG, RAW, JPEG Fine and JPEG Normal) they (Dpreview) think will get on a CF 1GB.

:arrow: 3008x2000 RAW + JPEG : 87 times on a 1Gb CF with an approx. size of 6.7Mb/pic
:arrow: 3008x2000 RAW : 94 times on a 1Gb CF with an approx. size of 5.4Mb/pic
:arrow: 3008x2000 JPEG Fine : 291 times on a 1Gb CF with an approx. size of 2.5Mb/pic
:arrow: 3008x2000 JPEG Normal : 573 times on a 1Gb CF with an approx. size of 1.5Mb/pic

About TopFoto ...
I don't know if they 'll take over your old gear, but I can tell you their service and prices are :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Just do a seach in the forum and you'll see the shop has been mentioned here before many times.

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

Buzzydriver

Post by Buzzydriver »

Hello guys,its me again with a final question about my future purchase of an slr camera,next friday i go to topfoto at duren to buy a camera,wat will you choose in my place? nikon d70 with 18-70/70-300 lens or a canon Eos 300 with 18-55/55-200 lens,the camera wil serve for spottingphotos and also normally using within the family.many thanks for your opinion,i can need some help because we are not so expert in this matter,
thanks in advance.bye

BlondeLeffe

Post by BlondeLeffe »

Go to Topfoto and take each camera (plus lenses) in the hand. What camera feels better? What camera do you like? Never buy a camera that others mentioned you had to buy because of their experience if you don't like that particular camera. Everytime you hold that camera to take pictures, you get some bad feeling about it.

Both the Nikon and the Canon are good cameras. You won't have a bad buy if you follow your mind...

PS - add the new Canon Eos 350D in your list (it is the newer version of the 300D)

AirforceNiels

Post by AirforceNiels »

Went to BRU yesterday with my Nikon D70. Most of the pictures I took were good except a few. These were extremely dark. I've got no idea how this comes. Maybe, i've got to change some settings ? I just bought this camera so I'm not quite experienced with it. Does someone know how I can avoid this in the future ?
http://coppermine.luchtzak.be/thumbnails.php?album=353

Avro

Post by Avro »

What were the exact settings you've used to make those two pictures ?

My guess would be you used a shutter speed which was way to high ...

Chris

peacemaker

camera

Post by peacemaker »

i was wondering or the konica minolta z10 is a good camera for spotting?

Bottie

Re: camera

Post by Bottie »

peacemaker wrote:i was wondering or the konica minolta z10 is a good camera for spotting?
I had the minolta Dimage Z1 ... and I kicked it like I would give a free kick from 25 meters ... It was retrieved in 3 peices in my garden ...

but this doesn't mean the Z10 is a bad one ;)