Soup with mayonnaise

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Nat

Soup with mayonnaise

Post by Nat »

As this section of the forum is listed as non-aviation, i`ve decided to ask a question that`s been on my mind for a long time :lol: .
I`ve happened to be at the table with Belgians several times, and one thing a did at the table surprised them a lot. Every time there was some soup on the table, i asked to bring a tin with mayonnaise to the table and added a spoon of mayonnaise into my soup plate (many people do it in Russia - eat soup with mayonnaise). At that moment my Belgian mates opened their eyes widely and asked :shock: : "Soup!!??? With mayonnaise!!!???" I felt a bit awkward and didn`t ask them why they were so surprised. Can anybody explain why it caused such reaction? Does it really seem so disgusting?
Oh, and i for instance couldn`t understand how it was possible to eat peach with tune :D

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Never seen anyone putting mayo in his soup - seems disgusting here in Belgium, yes.
Peach with tunny fish is perfectly acceptable, and quite good in fact.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Never seen it in the life of me, indeed. Some soups are served with cream, yes, but mayonaise? Strange, very strange.
But then, traditions are different between countries and regions and isn't that a nice thing? Always something to learn!
BTW have I heard that in Russia it is usual to have soup AFTER the main course rather than before as we do here?

SN30952

Re: Soup with mayonnaise

Post by SN30952 »

Nat wrote:I felt a bit awkward and didn`t ask them why they were so surprised. Can anybody explain why it caused such reaction? Does it really seem so disgusting?
Oh, and i for instance couldn`t understand how it was possible to eat peach with tune :D
Mayonnaise is for at least 80% fat.
Have you tested lately your BMI, Nat?
I suppose you're over 18, so click yes (ja). Even if you do not speak Dutch*, this thing would be understandable.
But if you like the taste of some mayonnaise in your soup go ahead, it is perfectly possible, Nat.
Russians on average consume some 2.5 kilo mayo on yearly basis...
Now, you know that some countries have sweet mayo. No exactly to my taste, because some of these sweet mayos are too sweet for me.
What mayo are you adding, the sweet type or the more sour?
Mayonnaise has (only) one set back: it is not cooked**. So it has to be (very) fresh.
And what can be wrong to add a flavoured oil-in-water suspension to a hot dish?

People might be surprised you want to add mayonnaise to your soup. The ones that showed more than surprise, and tell you that it might be 'disgusting', do not show at least respect for 'different' tastes. (And might also do this about your other tastes or opinions) The mayo test as ultimate tolerance test?

In some cultures, they add yogurt to soup. I liked very much in Istanbul, their garlic soup (shorba) with some bulgar type yogurt.

Peaches and tuna, is a nice food fusion idea.
Something else than pineapple on pizzas, or in sweet and sour pork.
The tuna with peaches looks way more healthy than the mayo in soup, btw.

*I remembered having read something about 'Mayonnaise in Russia', and I was also surprised.

See also: The Russian market of sauces: mayonnaise.
Overwhelming number of Russians (about 90 %) use mayonnaise at preparation of food.

The total amount of the market of mayonnaise in Russia makes by different estimations from 350 up to 450 thousand tons per one year an estimated 1,5 – 1,7 billion $ in money terms.

** it needs chemical agents to keep.

Nat

Post by Nat »

SN30952 wrote: Peaches and tuna, is a nice food fusion idea.
Something else than pineapple on pizzas, or in sweet and sour pork.
The tuna with peaches looks way more healthy than the mayo in soup, btw.

:D My BMI is ok, but actually i do not think that those people at the table were shocked because they estimated all those chemical parametres of mayonnaise or just thought that it was unhealthy. Yes, in Russia people eat lots of mayo, some even eat just bread with mayonnase, but after all, most people from time to time eat some unhealthy food and we are not the fattest nation in the world :jump2: .

After all these posts i stick to the opinion that it`s just a matter of table habits. In some cultures it`s ok to eat insects or reptiles, but if i ever saw someone eat them at the table, i`d vomit into my salad :lol:
I can`t find any rational explanation to why i put mayo in my soup, but without it i cannot eat soup at all. Of course, nobody at the table said that it was disgusting, but they were pretty amazed.

As for peach with tuna.... Well, i`ve tried it only once in my life, because everybody was eating it at the table. But i put a lot of effort to finish it, and still feel disgust when remember it. Although, peach and tuna are a healthy combination.

Ah, somebody`s here asked whether in Russia they eat soup not after the main course. Well, mainly no, and often soup is the only dinner course, because Russian soups are different from, let`s say French, they are much thicker and often they replace both the 1st and the 2nd course. :)

jan_olieslagers

Nat wrote:actually i do not think that those people at the table were shocked because they estimated all those chemical parametres of mayonnaise or just thought that it was unhealthy.
Sounds reasonable, yes. If I see someone eating a shoe, I'll not start calculating the calorie or vitamin content of shoes, I'll just be disgusted...
Nat wrote:After all these posts i stick to the opinion that it`s just a matter of table habits. In some cultures it`s ok to eat insects or reptiles, but if i ever saw someone eat them at the table, i`d vomit into my salad
Agreed again! Tradition and habitudes are all of it! And I am no more curious to taste termites than you, though some claim them to be a delicatesse.
Nat wrote:Ah, somebody`s here asked whether in Russia they eat soup not after the main course. Well, mainly no, and often soup is the only dinner course, because Russian soups are different from, let`s say French, they are much thicker and often they replace both the 1st and the 2nd course. :)
Yes, but are you then referring to the "bit of liquid with big lumps" I think it is called "borstsch" or so in Slavonic languages and a bit kin to Hungarian "gulyasz"? Here in Western Europe we call those a stew ("ragoût" in French) rather than soup... It all depends on language, and that's an habitude, too!

Greetings (just had my very Belgian fries & sausages...)

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Here is one of the favourote belgian dishes with mayo:
(these are no worms, but shrimps)
And tuna with mayo is served like this:

jan_olieslagers

Shame on you Fons! A correct "tomat-crevet" (tomato with shrimps) is seasoned with cocktail sauce rather than mayonnaise!!!!

SN30952

De belgian garnaaltomaat sauce.

Post by SN30952 »

jan_olieslagers wrote:Shame on you Fons! A correct "tomat-crevet" (tomato with shrimps) is seasoned with cocktail sauce rather than mayonnaise!!!!
Depends how you make* cocktail saus/sauce, J_O?
But a Belgian garnaaltomaat** is not an American delicacy. It is made with Cocktail saus, not with C-sauce, which contains lots of ketch-up and therefore lots of sugar.

:shakehead: Don't listen to him, Nat. Make it belgian style, not american style... :lol: :lol: :lol:
btw, C-sauce is shaken, our belgian style cocktail saus is stirred. For the difference ask James B.

*or where you buy it...
**as in the first picture above.

Nat

Post by Nat »

Yes, but are you then referring to the "bit of liquid with big lumps" I think it is called "borstsch" or so in Slavonic languages and a bit kin to Hungarian "gulyasz"? Here in Western Europe we call those a stew ("ragoût" in French) rather than soup... It all depends on language, and that's an habitude, too!
Actually i was talking about Russian soups while "borstsch" originates from Ukraine, and it`s a certain kind of soup with lots of beet. In Russia soup is soup, where all vegetables in it are cut in a way bigger sizes. The main difference between French soups and Russian, is that you can partially chew them while you cannot chew French soups at all.

And that picture with tuna you posted. It`s the same tuna that was in that peach :D

How about vol-au-vent? Do you like it?
Last edited by Nat on 22 Jul 2007, 10:11, edited 2 times in total.

Nat

Post by Nat »

jan_olieslagers wrote:Shame on you Fons! A correct "tomat-crevet" (tomato with shrimps) is seasoned with cocktail sauce rather than mayonnaise!!!!
To tell the truth, i`ve never seen tomato with shrimps served with mayonnaise in Belgium.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Nat wrote:To tell the truth, i`ve never seen tomato with shrimps served with mayonnaise in Belgium.
I've never seen soup with mayo in Russia, in fact I never have seen it elsewhere, but I'm open to learn and taste... :fork:

sproutmuncher

Post by sproutmuncher »

Honestly, I eat mayonnaise out of the jar on a spoon.
What's the difference between swirling a spoonful of mayo into your soup, or a spoonful of sour cream or creme fraiche? Do it girl :roll:

Comet

Post by Comet »

wakemeupb4 wrote: 16 May 2018, 09:16 I like things such as Vegemite and cheese, so what do I know? :P do whatever makes you happy
Is Vegemite like Marmite? I love Marmite spread on cheese :-)
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

Comet wrote: 29 May 2018, 19:09
wakemeupb4 wrote: 16 May 2018, 09:16 I like things such as Vegemite and cheese, so what do I know? :P do whatever makes you happy
Is Vegemite like Marmite? I love Marmite spread on cheese :-)
Vegemite is Australian axle grease. Some like it, some hate it.