AF Longhaul

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Kapitein

AF Longhaul

Post by Kapitein »

Is there someone that has experience with AF on there longhaul destinations, especially to Asia (Tokio).
I saw that they use a mix of A330 and 777-200/-300 to NRT.

How is there service, seatpitch (I'm 1,90 m), food,...

Jense

Post by Jense »

In the A330 (both -200 and -300):
Affaires Class: 55.0" pitch 21.0" width
Tempo Class: 32.0" pitch 18.0" width

In the B772:
Premiere Class: 64.0" pitch 22.0" width
Affaires Class: 55.0" pitch 21.0" width
Tempo Class: 32.0" pitch 18.0" width

(credits to seatguru.com)

http://coppermine.luchtzak.be/thumbnails.php?album=7 for some pictures of their meals.

No experience myself on AF...

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Hi brubiac,

I haven't flown AF yet, but as I'm following quite a lot of airlines and their different aspects (service,...), I'll try to give you some information.

First of all, you'll have to take the Thalys to CDG. AF will offer you miles on the Thalys-segments (for in case you are a member of their FF programme), and you'll drive in First Class, even with an Y-class ticket.

You will normally get your boarding pass for your connecting flight already when you check-in for your train in the Air France agency.

Once you arrive in CDG, you have to go to a baggage-drop off corner to check-in your luggage (unless you are flying with handluggage only).

The airport: ADP and French ATC are not really known as being 'reliable' due to the high amounts of strikes. Also AF like to strike from time to time, so keep that in mind. I've heard already a lot of negative feedback about CDG, which can be a pain during peaktime. I'd like to check out the airport first as a passenger before I further comment on that (the same is said about LHR, but after having been in T1, T2 and T4, I don't really have a big problem with the airport).

Air France and service: just like on any other airline, the crew can be good or bad. In all the AF feedback I've read till now, I've read a lot of positive comments about the crews, so I wouldn't worry too much about this. About the meal service: AF are known for their great service on longhaul flights. As an AF crew member once told me: "a good service is very important on longhaul flights, and AF try to offer this very good service to the customer". On flights to/from NRT, you will not only get 2 full meals, there will also be a bar available in each economy class section where you can take as many drinks and snacks as you want for in case you're hungry/thirsty. If I'm not mistaken, AF still hand out small amenity kits with small things like a toothbrush and toothpaste,...

AF and seats: AF offer the 'standard' 31-32 inch seat. All A332's, A343's, B772's and B773's are equipped with personal TV-screens and audio channels.

About the aircraft type: an advantage of the A332 is the 2-4-2 seating which is easier than the 3-3-3 in the B777 if you have a window seat. On the other hand, it must be a great experience to try out their brand new B773's.

Enjoy your flights! If there's anything you want to know, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

MSS658

Post by MSS658 »

maybe my TR wil help you ZYR-CDG-ATL-CDG

Robin_Bamps

Post by Robin_Bamps »

Hi Brubiac,

I flew AF last year (just a domestic hop TLS-CDG on an old A320), but I still was very satisfied about the flight : good flight, friendly crew and no delay (I arrived earlier than planned)!

I have no experience with long haul flights though...

Regards, Robin Bamps.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Thanks to everybody for the response.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I made the trip you intend to do (CDG-NRT) on a 747 when AF was still flying them to NRT. In first class. As Fredericg explained, crews can be good or bad. I was unfortunate enough to have a bad crew. First class comes with a lot of expectations, and I was really disappointed. Food was excellent, but service was bad. The stewardesses were more interested in chatting with one another than in taking care of the need of their high-fare paying passengers. My experience with Air France in general is more negative than positive.

Have a nice trip anyway!
André
ex Sabena #26567

TMT98

Post by TMT98 »

Hi,

Might be kinda late, but I flew AF AMS - CDG - (SIN) - CGK (and back) back in 2001.
Was in a 777. They had nice PTV's with some funny to boring games (as far as I remember). Catering was great, service was in the flight to CGK (Jakarta, Cengkareng) a bit unpleasent. Like they weren't realy in the mood for flying that day.
The toilet seat went up or down automaticly, don't know wether thay still have those or not, 'cause I think those will brake at some point when people push them up or down.

For kids they had some kind of puzzel on the regional routes.

hvv

Post by hvv »

This may be too late, but anyway. I used AF frequently when I lived in France. My personal experience (with the caveat that my last flight with them was in 2002):

Positive:
- Good onboard service
- Good food and drinks
- Pleasant seats

Negative:
- Incredibly rude/unpleasant ground staff at CDG
- Unreliable on timing (a number of 7-hour delays and a significant number of 2+-hour delays)

Hope that helps.

Hans.

lastrow

Post by lastrow »

hi, basically I agree with the comments of sabena_690, adding two things:

- I flew last year in summer from CDG to Seoul/Incheon in a AF 777 (200?) in Y - nice plane and good service. I really like the cup noodles they have offered in the second period of the flight. And those kind of snacks were for free and no problem if you take more than one. Entertainment system is average on these machines: inseat video with small displays and also very sluggish user interface. flight crew was very kind and professional. also I can confirm about ear-plugs, sleeping mask and refreshment tissues for every pax in Y.

- I had a really bad experience with the AF ground crew on CDG: they made me miss a flight and were really very uncooperative. I missed my plane because different people of the ground crew were sending me around in the check in area, because the original check-in queue I was standing in was closed before last two pax (including me) were processed. So I was told to move to another one to let me check in.

At the next queue, I was told to move to a third one and at then the check in was closed for this flight! This happened also to another passenger scheduled for this flight. Basically, AF refused to take responsibility for this incident although it was not my fault ( I arrived about 50mins before take off at the check having the 45 mins minimum time in mind). Reservation desk was very unfriendly like "another 3000. stupid dude for today", I would say "arrogant", just French. At the end I took the night train from Paris to my destination Berlin, because AF offered my to buy a regular ticket to get home.

I hate AF still today for this incident. However, most travels I do are paid by my employer, so I have taken AF a couple of times after.

-lr.