DHL expansion?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

BIAC weerlegt de verklaring van de woordvoerder van DHL (28 september 2004)

Eerder vanavond verklaarde een woordvoerder van DHL dat hun business plan om gedurende de nacht tot zestien vluchten in te zetten met vliegtuigen van het type MD-11, reeds sedert maart 2003 bekendgemaakt werd en sindsdien ter tafel ligt bij de diverse betrokkenen.
De hypothese van 16 MD-11 nachtbewegingen maakte deel uit van het vorig jaar door DHL neergelegd plan, dat een uitbreiding inhield van de nachtbewegingen van DHL tot 35.000 per jaar. Na onderhandelingen werd dit plan door DHL vervangen in maart 2004 door het zogenaamde FOXTROT-plan, dat de uitbreiding van de DHL nachtbewegingen tot 22.000 per jaar beperkte, waarin begrepen 4 nachtbewegingen met een MD-11.
Bijgevolg weerlegt BIAC met klem de verklaring van de woordvoerder van DHL.
De luchthavenautoriteiten werden pas op 23 september 2004 door DHL op de hoogte gesteld van hun plannen om het aantal MD-11 langeafstandsbewegingen tijdens de nacht van 4 op te trekken tot 16.
Seems that DHL is playing dirty games after all: At the end of 2003 DHL's initial plan was to expand to 35000 nightflights including 16 MD11 flights. However in March this plan was abandoned and another plan was made by DHL, stating 22000 nightflights and 4 MD11 flights. It is only on September 23 2004, that DHL spoke again about an expansion to 16 MD11 flights!
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

Avro

Post by Avro »

I really had to laugh when I heard the following on the radio an hour ago: "The people which are against the night flights in BRU are apparently calling the MD-11 an "old flying garbage" :lol: :lol:

I hope some of those poeple will read this because here are some facts about the MD-11:

Program launch: December 1986
First flight: January 1990
Certification granted: November 1990
Powerplants: 3 PW4460's or 3 CF6-80C2D1F

Gemini's MD11's are between 14-15 years old and those of World are between 9-10 years old.

If I understood it correctrly LH should operate some of the MD11 flights in the future (which should rise the number from 4 to 16). I did a quick search and found that the MD11's of LH are between 3-6 years old.

This is definitely not an old plane nor a flying garbage !!!!

Now back to the topic:

- The B747 doesn't take part in the discussion because there are no B747 night flights in BRU if I'm correct.

- As an MD11 sucessor they were again talking about the B777 on the radio.
Wonder if the MD-11 is a "Em Dé onze" for the French speaking politiciens.
Yes that's how it is called by frech speaking people ;)

Greetz
Chris

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Like the Boeing 737 is called Boeing zevedriezeve in Flemish, zeuvendriezeuven in Dutch and sept-cent-trente-sept in French.
André
ex Sabena #26567

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

Avro wrote:I really had to laugh when I heard the following on the radio an hour ago: "The people which are against the night flights in BRU are apparently calling the MD-11 an "old flying garbage" :lol: :lol:
hahahahahaha :D
They are probably confusing it with the DC10, cause for them, thats probably one and the same plane.
Matthias Thoen

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

and the kids continue to fight eachother ...... what a world :evil:
Matthias Thoen

Avro

Post by Avro »

Just saw the DHL news on VTM. They were giving facts about DHL's fleet based in BRU or flying to/From BRU. It was very funny to see since they made a lot of mistakes.

They weren't able to give correct numbers of A300's, B757's based in BRU. They talked about the B732, the CV580, the MD11 but didn't even mention the DC-8 etc. .......

It's amazing how many journalists present their news not being well prepared :roll:

And then they used a picture of an SV MD11 as background while showing their figures. The head on shot of the MD11 reminds me of a picture I already saw somwhere, maybe here or on A.net. I wonder if they asked the photographer to use the picture ???

I'm seriusly considering writing an e-mail to VTM to tell them the real numbers.

Now concerning the topic, nothing new as usual.

Chris

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

Aaarghh... VTM did it again. :twisted:
In the 7Pm news they showed different DHL planes: A300, CV850, B757, MD-11 8O ???, and a B737-200 :? ????
Then they were talking about the "noise"of the MD-11 :shakehead:
And when I really got like this :dammit: was when the reporter said that it's waiting for quiter planes like the 777 but ( I quote ) that type won't be flying the first six years. :confused:
Or does he mean a 777 freighter?
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

ILS25L

Post by ILS25L »

Goodevening,
MD-11, it is hard to believe but they talk about the 777-freighter which in my opinion still have to be manufactured.
Why do they not go for the A380 ? Fedex ordered them, why not DHL ?
Greetz, Karl

leopoldm

Post by leopoldm »

Just some ideas from our Asian friends about how to manage cargo flights ...

http://www.aircargoworld.com/features/1103_2.htm

Can't we imagine this kind of solutions here in Europe ?

Greetz,

Leopold

Avro

Post by Avro »

MD-11 wrote:Aaarghh... VTM did it again. :twisted:
In the 7Pm news they showed different DHL planes: A300, CV850, B757, MD-11 8O ???, and a B737-200 :? ????
They painted the B732 and the MD11 in DHL colours. It's easier to tell the poeple that its a DHL plane instead of saying that AT is operating a DHL flight with the B732 and that Gemini and World are doing the MD11 flights.
(BTW the MD11 and B732 in new DHL were looking nice ;) )
MD-11, it is hard to believe but they talk about the 777-freighter which in my opinion still have to be manufactured.
Indeed, it still has to be manufactured. For the moment Boeing is studying the case, but hasn't even launched the Freighert version nor a conversion program.....
Why do they not go for the A380 ? Fedex ordered them, why not DHL ?
If DHL will be growing that much in the next coming years then the A380 could indeed be a nice replacement for the MD11's. But this is really some dreaming for the moment. !!!

Chris

V-Bird

re

Post by V-Bird »

sn26567 wrote:
Like the Boeing 737 is called Boeing zevedriezeve in Flemish, zeuvendriezeuven in Dutch and sept-cent-trente-sept in French.
and triple seven in english!

Avro

Re: re

Post by Avro »

V-Bird wrote:
sn26567 wrote:
and triple seven in english!
The Triple Seven is the B777 not the B737 ;)

SN30952

The Gimini MD-11's

Post by SN30952 »

It seems these MD-11 are from Gimini.
Gimini is flying as a subcontractor for DLH.
Look what they write on their website:
Whether your 747 is half empty or half full, you should consider the DC-10-30F and the MD-11F

No matter how you look at it, a partially loaded B747F is no match for the efficiency and economy of a fully loaded DC-10-30F and MD-11F from Gemini. Our DC-10-30F Stage 3 freighters can carry 162,000 pounds of payload 3,500 nautical miles - without extra overhead that comes with a 747. Our MD-11F is even quieter than the DC-10. In fact, the MD-11F is the only current wide body, 200,000 pound plus load aircraft that meets the July, 2002 Brussels National Airport nighttime noise restrictions.

The MD-11F carries a full load of 204,000 pounds more than 3,600 nautical miles and can carry 192,000 pounds of payload 4,200 nautical miles. This exceptional load carrying ability comes with a 33% reduction in required fuel in comparison with the B747-200F.

That is why the DC-10-30F and MD-11F are the best aircraft for markets that generate less than 100 tons of cargo per day. They are also smarter for use in developing markets. If you have too much cargo for a DC-8, but not enough for a B747, lease or charter a reliable and efficient DC-10-30F or MD-11F freighter from Gemini.

Gemini. Your DC-10 air cargo partner.

They also have jumpseats
Here is the ' ACM (Jumpseat) Policy and Procedures'
We (Gimini) are pleased to welcome you aboard our DC-10 and MD-11 aircraft. We offer the following guidelines to assist you in complying with our Jumpseat Policy and Procedures.
Schedules are not updated. Various other European, SE Asia, and South America destinations, please call for flight times and frequency

Gimini. Schedules

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Belgian newspaper "Het Laatste Nieuws" knows Verovering van Amerika valt tegen voor DHL
De Amerikaanse tak van de Deutsche Post-dochter DHL doet het wegens de verstikkende concurrentie minder goed dan verwacht en komt pas ten vroegste in 2006 uit de rode cijfers. Moederbedrijf Deutsche Post corrigeerde daarom de beoogde groeicijfers naar onder, en verwacht voor dit en volgend jaar hogere verliezen dan eerst geraamd. Dat heeft het bedrijf woensdag in Bonn bekendgemaakt.

Het tekort zou voor dit jaar kunnen oplopen tot 500 miljoen euro. Ook voor 2005 verwacht het bedrijf 300 miljoen euro verlies bij zijn Amerikaans filiaal. Bij de voorstelling van de halfjaarresultaten in juli verklaarde Post-topman Klaus Zunwinkel nog dat DHL in Noord-Amerika in 2005 winst zou maken. Die prognose wordt nu met een jaar opgeschoven.

De Amerikaanse expressmarkt staat bekend als lucratief, maar er heerst ook een harde concurrentiestrijd. Hoewel de resultaten tegenvallen, wil Deutsche Post echter niets veranderen aan zijn plannen in de VS. In 2003 nam Deutsche Post nog het Amerikaanse Airborne over om zo de activiteiten op de Amerikaanse markt te verruimen. De Amerikaanse koeriermarkt wordt momenteel beheerst door Federal Express (FedEx) en United Parcel Service (UPS) terwijl DHL een marktaandeel heeft van 8%.

DHL is losing 500 million Euros this year, and foresees 300 million Euros next year.
DHL has an 8% marketshare in USA.

SN30952

DHL's US West Coast operation

Post by SN30952 »

DHL intends to begin its new West Coast operations a year from now with 10 daily flights,
DHL is searching for an Inland Empire home to plant its West Coast regional hub.
And San Bernardino wants to land it.
Tax breaks, freeway access and a lack of neighboring opposition would seem to make San Bernardino the best pick in the region.
Airports in Riverside and Ontario are also angling for DHL, pairing up with big-league developers to land the company and its 400 jobs.

Santa Barbara Airport (SBA/KSBA) Elevation 3m, 3 Runways
San Bernardino Internatl Airport Authority
(909) 382-4100
294 S Leland Norton Way
San Bernardino, CA 92408

Ontario Int´l Airport (ONT/KONT) Elevation 288m, 2 Runways, Noise Restrictions: Preferential runway use 22:00-07:00. No training flights
Ontario International Airport (ONT)
(909) 937-2700
2900 E Airport Dr
Ontario, CA 91761
Ontario International Airport (ONT) is located 35 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in the west end of San Bernardino County.

Riverside Municipal Airport
(909) 351-6113
6951 Flight Rd
Riverside, CA 92504

Riverside Municipal Airport is located 2.9 mi W of downtown Los Angeles

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Meanwhile DHL contacted Liège Bierset airport, they have recontacted DHL that they would be more than happy to welcome DHL in Bierset. Total cost of the eventual move: 500.000.000 €

Meer in de GVA

Avro

Post by Avro »

luchtzak wrote:Meanwhile DHL contacted Liège Bierset airport, they have recontacted DHL that they would be more than happy to welcome DHL in Bierset. Total cost of the eventual move: 500.000.000 €
I heard that too Bart. But in fact I'm sure DHL doesn't plane to move to Liège. By contacting Bierset they probably want to force the federal, flemish and Brussel governments to quickly find a solution in their favour.

I more and more think that DHL does not want (for anything) to completely leave BRU, but are now trying to get the best deal with the concerned governments. To achieve this they just start negociating with the Bierset.

Just my 2 € cents, don't shoot me if I'm wrong

Chris

pilatus

Post by pilatus »

For all the the ones who want to be solidair: Tomorrow Friday 01/10 at 13.00lt all the employees of the airport will come to the arrivals for 1 hour :twisted:

Avro

Post by Avro »

pilatus wrote:For all the the ones who want to be solidair: Tomorrow Friday 01/10 at 13.00lt all the employees of the airport will come to the arrivals for 1 hour :twisted:
So will all the companies make a 1 hours strike ???

I'm not against the fact that the DHL and EAT employees strike but why should TV, SN, FQ, TUB etc.. be striking for one hour ??? I already explained what I was thinking of that earlier so I won't repeat myself. ;)

This being said, I won't be able to come since I will be at university. But I would like you (Pilatus) to know that I'm crossing the fingers for all of you DHL/EAT employees and that I hope for the best. I would like to express my sympathy and solidarity but don't know how. :?

Chris

Avro

Post by Avro »

Maybe Bart or somebody else can make some sort of banner showing Luchtzak's solidarity to the DHL/EAT employees. That banner would then be on the frontpage during a few days ..........

Chris