Swissport wildcat strike at Brussels Airport - 22/08/2017

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

flightlover

Re: Swissport wildcat strike at Brussels Airport - 22/08/2017

Post by flightlover »

PttU wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 12:16
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2017/08/23/vergeten-bagage-op-brussels-airport/ wrote: Concreet over gisteren: Swissport erfde in 2012 het afhandelingscontract met Brussels Airlines door afhandelaar Flightcare over te nemen. Met stijgende passagiersaantallen woog het al niet winstgevende contract van Swissport steeds zwaarder rond de nek van het bedrijf.
Does this mean Swissport is paid the same, regardless of the amount of passengers on a flight? Or even regardless of the amount of flights?
I can't imagine that being the case, but if you settle on a price of 5€ per pax and it costs 5.10€ per pax to brake even, you'll get the contract but still have to find 0.10€ per pax inside the handlers operation. As this is a labour intensive organisation and managers are not known to be cutting their own salaries...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 10:27 interesting analysis of the dire situation in which handlers at BRU are stuck:

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2017/08/23 ... s-airport/

Basically, the opinion is that although workers are somewhat 'strike-happy' during certain periods of the year, they do have a valid point in that they are rather underpaid for the hard job done and the pending renewal of their equipment is long overdue, 2 issues currently impossible to tackle structurally due to the razor thin profit margins (if any) handlers are operating under because of the extreme pricing pressure airlines at BRU have put on them.

The solution proposed is that BRU would use part of its own healthy profit margin (whereas it does very little itself in the whole process of flying, one has to admit) to help invest its handlers invest in more and better material (see it as a way to invest in the service levels of the airport and to make it a more reliable airport once again), whereas airlines operating at BRU should be made to accept paying certain minimum handling fees to guarantee a correct payment for those working on the ground jobs outsourced by them.

I think that indeed both are very valid suggestions to be looked at and they could be made to work if all actors are brought around one table, with some legislative help from the government. Long term it is extremely damaging to our country's export oriented economy if its main airport is seen as an unreliable point of entry because of all these recurrent strikes and other events which can be traced back to a lack of underinvestment somehow.

I agree that if it means ticket prices must be made a euro or so more expensive because it it, then so be it: nobody who really matters is going to stay home, if he really needs to be flying. Clearly a structural solution is needed here and it goes almost beyond saying that more money will thus have to be found somehow in order to deliver it: in the absence of that, we're just waiting till the next strike happens really, only to cry out loudly about it, once again.
Handeling charges in BRU are already quite high compared to surrounding airports and on top of that swissport handling at bru was some of the worst services I ever had to deal with worldwide in the last 14 years. (Which is not always the employees fault btw)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Inquirer wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 10:27 interesting analysis of the dire situation in which handlers at BRU are stuck:
Basically, the opinion is that although workers are somewhat 'strike-happy' during certain periods of the year, they do have a valid point in that they are rather underpaid for the hard job done and the pending renewal of their equipment is long overdue, 2 issues currently impossible to tackle structurally due to the razor thin profit margins (if any) handlers are operating under because of the extreme pricing pressure airlines at BRU have put on them.

The solution proposed is that BRU would use part of its own healthy profit margin (whereas it does very little itself in the whole process of flying, one has to admit) to help invest its handlers invest in more and better material (see it as a way to invest in the service levels of the airport and to make it a more reliable airport once again), whereas airlines operating at BRU should be made to accept paying certain minimum handling fees to guarantee a correct payment for those working on the ground jobs outsourced by them.

I think that indeed both are very valid suggestions to be looked at and they could be made to work if all actors are brought around one table, with some legislative help from the government. Long term it is extremely damaging to our country's export oriented economy if its main airport is seen as an unreliable point of entry because of all these recurrent strikes and other events which can be traced back to a lack of underinvestment somehow.

I agree that if it means ticket prices must be made a euro or so more expensive because it it, then so be it: nobody who really matters is going to stay home, if he really needs to be flying. Clearly a structural solution is needed here and it goes almost beyond saying that more money will thus have to be found somehow in order to deliver it: in the absence of that, we're just waiting till the next strike happens really, only to cry out loudly about it, once again.
I'm allways sceptical when a journo from Flemish state VRT gives his personal views on a social conflict. Usually, he/she then sympathises with the trade union members who go on strike. Same here. It starts where he says that the loaders aren't paid good. Not true. Their basic salary isn't spectacular indeed. But included bonuses for night shifts and weekends, they have a good income.

Same about the journo's referral to the trade unions' view that this wildcat strike was unevitable and logical because of trumendous pressure from managers who are only interested in making more profit (typical trade union language). The result of the negocations proof that there was just one aim: to get a financial bonus (2 x 190 Euro). And indeed: for trade unions, the best way to get that, is to organize a wildcat strike when the employer is weak: during the peak holiday season.

The proposal of the trade unions = that Brussels Airport should invest in equipment, is only valid when that equipment can be used by the three parties involved: Swissport, Aviapartner and Brussels Airport. But the airport can't buy it cheaper then Swissport or Aviapartner can. Thus: Brussels Airport will lease or rent it at a higher price than when the handler would have bought it. The proposal that Brussels Airport should spend some of its nett profit to buy equipment, is nonsense. One could also argue that the trade unions could use some of their own assetts to buy equipment, and rent it.

And finally, journo Decraene says that the strike has caused "kwaad bloed" with the airlines and the passengers. No sir: we -the aviation, travel, tourism trade- were not angry. We were outragious: level 10 on a scale 1-10. Not because we had to solve problems, but because passengers were used as hostage, because passengers were screwed for no reason.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 18:34

I'm allways sceptical when a journo from Flemish state VRT gives his personal views on a social conflict. Usually, he/she then sympathises with the trade union members who go on strike. Same here. It starts where he says that the loaders aren't paid good. Not true. Their basic salary isn't spectacular indeed. But included bonuses for night shifts and weekends, they have a good income.

Same about the journo's referral to the trade unions' view that this wildcat strike was unevitable and logical because of trumendous pressure from managers who are only interested in making more profit (typical trade union language). The result of the negocations proof that there was just one aim: to get a financial bonus (2 x 190 Euro). And indeed: for trade unions, the best way to get that, is to organize a wildcat strike when the employer is weak: during the peak holiday season.

The proposal of the trade unions = that Brussels Airport should invest in equipment, is only valid when that equipment can be used by the three parties involved: Swissport, Aviapartner and Brussels Airport. But the airport can't buy it cheaper then Swissport or Aviapartner can. Thus: Brussels Airport will lease or rent it at a higher price than when the handler would have bought it. The proposal that Brussels Airport should spend some of its nett profit to buy equipment, is nonsense. One could also argue that the trade unions could use some of their own assetts to buy equipment, and rent it.

And finally, journo Decraene says that the strike has caused "kwaad bloed" with the airlines and the passengers. No sir: we -the aviation, travel, tourism trade- were not angry. We were outragious: level 10 on a scale 1-10. Not because we had to solve problems, but because passengers were used as hostage, because passengers were screwed for no reason.
You have to take everything in account and Brussels Airport is making a lot of money let's spread it with all the workers I'm tired of this ultra liberal talk.....

You are saying it's a well payed job,first this is very personal sure when it comes to give you nights away and your weekends!

This is very arrogant to me....
Hasta la victoria siempre.

PttU

Post by PttU »

sean1982 wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 16:58 Handeling charges in BRU are already quite high compared to surrounding airports
Which airports are "surrounding"? CRL?
Passenger wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 18:34 It starts where he says that the loaders aren't paid good. Not true. Their basic salary isn't spectacular indeed. But included bonuses for night shifts and weekends, they have a good income.
I can imagine living in Brussels (or near BRU) is more expensive than living near CRL.

Or you could take a view from the other side: of they need to do night and weekend shifts to get a decent (or good) income, doesn't that mean the basic salary is too low?

The discussion whether wages are low or high is always a difficult one. No-one will ever say they get paid too much ;)

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

No-one will ever say they get paid too much
There are some few who do ; they are generally considered fools. It is already very bad practice to publicly state you are being paid enough. Ask me how I know ...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 19:34
Passenger wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 18:34 I'm allways sceptical when a journo from Flemish state VRT gives his personal views on a social conflict. Usually, he/she then sympathises with the trade union members who go on strike. Same here. It starts where he says that the loaders aren't paid good. Not true. Their basic salary isn't spectacular indeed. But included bonuses for night shifts and weekends, they have a good income.

You have to take everything in account and Brussels Airport is making a lot of money let's spread it with all the workers I'm tired of this ultra liberal talk.....

You are saying it's a well payed job,first this is very personal sure when it comes to give you nights away and your weekends!

This is very arrogant to me....
Before one accepts a job as handler at an airport, one knows that the job includes early morning shifts, late evening shifts, night shifts, weekend shifts and public holiday shifts. But at the same time, the employer tells you that there is a bonus for every such shift, which will result in an average total salary that values the irregular working hours.

It is ridiculous that the management from Brussels Airport Company nv/sa should pay a profit bonus to employers from Swissport nv/sa and Aviapartner nv/sa. Why not to the bus drivers from De Lijn and TEC, or to the train conductors from Belgian Rail? They also send passengers to the airport on public holidays, thus allowing Brussels Airport Company to make profit.

My above remarks are not "ultra liberal" at all. At the contrary: they are basic economics. If employees want new equipment, they ask their employer if it's possible to buy them. But at Swissport, I guess that management will tell the employees that the shareholders already had to open their wallets twice last year (think they had to invest 2 x 5 mio Euro), meaning it's not the right moment to ask for new pushback trucks and/or new high loaders.

Referring your statement about my "ultra liberal talks". I'm not familiar with the leftist, sloganesk, trade union language, but I guess "ultra liberal" would mean that employers would be legally allowed to make split shifts 05h-09h and 18h-23h, allowing them to cover the two daily peak times with just one team. I do not post "ultra liberal talk". I only post basic realism. Competition between airlines and agressive practices from low cost carriers are forcing airlines to look for new savings. Handling agents thus cannot allow their employees to sit down and wait 20 or 30 minutes till their plane arrives, like they could do 20 years ago. Because the handing agent can't simply send out invoices like he could do 20 years ago.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

sean1982 wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 12:23
luchtzak wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 12:04 And now ... the backlog ...

Hope the wildcat strikers ALL need to work overtime to clear it :roll:
Overtime? Not a second!

The people who caused all this are now working 'normal' again: they have put all the bags on the luggage belts upstairs to the arrival level et voilà. Finished for them, but pure misery for ALL people working at the reclaim area!!! Not a second they think about this! One airport family, tous ensemble? Yeah right. All they care about is themselves.

The people working at the reclaim area (lost & found) now have to work for WEEKS to handle all the bags + they get all the blame from furious passengers. Another thing the ""colleagues"" (lol) downstairs forget: they never have to deal with angry passengers, while the people upstairs have to constantly deal with angry passengers because someone didn't do his job downstairs!

It should be like this: all the people who have stopped working and caused all this misery should be the ones that have to clean it all up AND should have to explain it to the passengers.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

lumumba wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 19:34You are saying it's a well payed job,first this is very personal sure when it comes to give you nights away and your weekends!
These striking scumbags knew what payment to expect when they applied for the job. If that doesn't satisfy them they should reflect on their own life-decisions and not ruin important trips of others out of frustration.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

What I find very bad is the way Brussels Airlines is treating there passengers about there luggage.
One of my colleagues that lost is bag between Luanda and Brussels and continuing to Beyrouth...

Was treated very badly he did not find nobody to help him he went to the ticketing desk and ask for help...

They asked him if he could read...TICKETING...They also said it's not there problem...
This is rude and unacceptable...nobody help him he stayes 5 hours in the Airport...

It's a pity because he is a Emirates passenger he tried for once Brussels and believe me they lost him...

Not because the luggage we explained him but what happened after is completely unacceptable...

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

lumumba wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 23:36 They asked him if he could read...TICKETING...They also said it's not there problem...
This is rude and unacceptable...nobody help him he stayes 5 hours in the Airport...
With all respect, but I think the story went a bit more like this: "sorry sir, we are as you can read the ticketing desk, I can have a look for you but I don't have any information to help you, you have to go to the Lost & Found services of our baggage handler Swissport". Not the outstanding service people might expect, but in a situation like this with thousands of pieces of luggage in a backlog, the staff has no clue where people's baggage is exactly and they need to refer to Swissport to make sure they can provide the 'ticketing related' service to those passengers that they can help.

It's also with a reason that BRU, SN, Swissport, etc. all asked pax that already left the airport to stay away until they are informed about what will happen with their baggage (and usually it will be sent to their home/hotel/... ).

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

RoMax wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 11:05
lumumba wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 23:36 They asked him if he could read...TICKETING...They also said it's not there problem...
With all respect, but I think the story went a bit more like this: "sorry sir, we are as you can read the ticketing desk, I can have a look for you but I don't have any information to help you, you have to go to the Lost & Found services of our baggage handler Swissport". Not the outstanding service people might expect, but in a situation like this with thousands of pieces of luggage in a backlog, the staff has no clue where people's baggage is exactly and they need to refer to Swissport to make sure they can provide the 'ticketing related' service to those passengers that they can help.

It's also with a reason that BRU, SN, Swissport, etc. all asked pax that already left the airport to stay away until they are informed about what will happen with their baggage (and usually it will be sent to their home/hotel/... ).
If it would happen the way your are saying I would not react....
But it was clearly CAN YOU NOT READ TICKETING.....
WE CAN NOT HELP YOU....
I'm a Brussels Airlines fan and passenger I ask him to try Brussels Airlines and when this happens make me sad....

He his from Lebanon nobody told him nothing that's why he went there....

Anyway I send a reclamation to Brussels Airlines this is ununacceptable!

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

lumumba wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 11:08 If it would happen the way your are saying I would not react....
WE CAN NOT HELP YOU....
I'm a Brussels Airlines fan and passenger I ask him to try Brussels Airlines and when this happens make me sad....
Ok, 1st question: where you there yourself in person when it happened?
- Yes: even though the staff was right in saying they could not help, it was definitely wrong in the way they communicated.
- No: maybe consider the posibility that the frustration, anger, etc. of your colleague which might have very much clouded his way of judging the situation: what was actually said vs. how he interpreted it.

Not saying you are (or he is) lying. But from the times that I came out of my calm office to help pax during strikes, security backlogs after 22/3, etc. I also have a certain degree of being critical about what passengers say. I can give you numerous of examples of passengers that were lying straight in my face about a situation, what happened to them, etc. simply because they had a very bad experience in one part of the process (reflecting that bad thing on the overall experience).

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

RoMax wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 11:28
lumumba wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 11:08 If it would happen the way your are saying I would not react....
WE CAN NOT HELP YOU....
- Yes: even though the staff was right in saying they could not help, it was definitely wrong in the way they communicated.
- No: maybe consider the posibility that the frustration, anger, etc. of your colleague which might have very much clouded his way of judging the situation: what was actually said vs. how he interpreted it.

Not saying you are (or he is) lying. But from the times that I came out of my calm office to help pax during strikes, security backlogs after 22/3, etc. I also have a certain degree of being critical about what passengers say. I can give you numerous of examples of passengers that were lying straight in my face about a situation, what happened to them, etc. simply because they had a very bad experience in one part of the process (reflecting that bad thing on the overall experience).
No he was relax we where even laughing about it because his flight was cancelled to Frankfurt yesterday night on top of it but Lufthansa was very good on that matter.

Anyway he went relax to the counter and that's the answer he received so he called me to explain etc....

It's a pity because he was very happy of his flight even with 1h30 of delay because the luggage strike and despite that lost his luggage...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 11:08 [f it would happen the way your are saying I would not react....
WE CAN NOT HELP YOU....
lumumba wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 11:39 No he was relax we where even laughing about it because his flight was cancelled to Frankfurt yesterday night on top of it but Lufthansa was very good on that matter.
Anyway he went relax to the counter and that's the answer he received so he called me to explain etc....
It's a pity because he was very happy of his flight even with 1h30 of delay because the luggage strike and despite that lost his luggage...
So your friend arrived from Luanda-Brussels, and was confronted with an empty luggage belt. Unlike all other passengers, he didn't went to the Lost & Found Desk to fill in the form on which his contact details should be noted. No: he left the arrival hall, and continued to a Brussels Airlines Ticket Desk. He then asked them to trace his luggage and/or do the registration that all other passengers were doing at the Lost & Found desk. I have never arrived in Dubai without luggage, but I'm pretty sure the Emirates Ticket Desk will not help me when I would arrive without luggage and I would go to that Ticket Desk to find my luggage. And I'm pretty sure they will tell me they are a Ticketing Desk, no Lost & Found sideway.

Regarding the way you describes how it was told him: you are obviously not telling us the whole story.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

off course if this story was considering FR everyone would be up in arms about it. Some people here defend SN even if they'd throw a pile of shit at a customer :roll:

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

If someone would post here that Brussels Airlines ordered a passenger to sit outside, on a wing, one particular guy would believe that.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 16:08
lumumba wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 11:08 [f it would happen the way your are saying I would not react....
WE CAN NOT HELP YOU....
lumumba wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 11:39 No he was relax we where even laughing about it because his flight was cancelled to Frankfurt yesterday night on top of it but Lufthansa was very good on that matter.
So your friend arrived from Luanda-Brussels, and was confronted with an empty luggage belt. Unlike all other passengers, he didn't went to the Lost & Found Desk to fill in the form on which his contact details should be noted. No: he left the arrival hall, and continued to a Brussels Airlines Ticket Desk. He then asked them to trace his luggage and/or do the registration that all other passengers were doing at the Lost & Found desk. I have never arrived in Dubai without luggage, but I'm pretty sure the Emirates Ticket Desk will not help me when I would arrive without luggage and I would go to that Ticket Desk to find my luggage. And I'm pretty sure they will tell me they are a Ticketing Desk, no Lost & Found sideway.

Regarding the way you describes how it was told him: you are obviously not telling us the whole story.
I'm not going to tell all the story here but yes he went to the lost and found desk the same day.

But there was no reference number on the paper and no answer at all the phone numbers we got.

So 3 days later after his flight to Frankfurt was cancelled he went to the ticketing desk and he received the answer I said before.

But anyway a complain was mailed to Brussels Airlines.

Another thing I don't have to justify myself to you because you don't believe me I did this time......

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

RoMax wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 11:28
WE CAN NOT HELP YOU....

Were you there in person? His story wouldn't surprise me. From my time at the airport I remember several situations where it was clear SN staff thought they'd shit gold and they were running the place...

convair

Post by convair »

Ansett wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 13:02 As to the wildcat strike by Swissport baggage handlers at BRU, although I fully respect the right to strike and lawful trade union actions, I think it is high time to impose financial sanctions on workers who (through their unions I suppose) do not give an official strike notice of at least one week. It would give time to negotiate and if negotiations don't succeed, I will be prepared to accept the strike, since I myself and the airlines would have had time to prepare for a strike scenario.
I fully agree with you.
And in a complex and integrated society, it is becoming unacceptable to have some groups of people paralyzing everyone's activities for a whim or holding the people hostage.
It's high time we learn to solve this type of dispute in a civilized manner.