UA951 BRU-IAD

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Predixs

UA951 BRU-IAD

Post by Predixs »

September 15th I boarded the United B772 N786UA with destination Washington Dulles.
Because of the Belgocontrol problem => (https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59373) that day we had a departure delay of 47 minutes. But the crew had some tricks up their sleeves, instead of the planned Fl340 we climbed to Fl370 and because of this we arrived with only 1 minute of delay.

The Qatar dreamliner was on our left and this A330 of Etihad was waiting for a departure slot on our right.
Etihad A330
Etihad A330
DSCN0645.jpg (664.42 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
The in flight entertainment was ok and completely free of charge. There were some nice movies and some TV/Music channels and even some basic games.
DSCN0647.jpg
DSCN0647.jpg (717.51 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
The flight itself was very nice and mostly turbulence free and the cabin crew was very helpfull and nice to the passengers.

The inflight food was amazing! There was so much food and so many drinks :)
First we got a snack and a drink.
A light snack
A light snack
DSCN0646.jpg (684.7 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
20 minutes later our dinner was served! Spinash Lasagnia or Chicken with Curry.
One of the best airline meals I ever had!
One of the best airline meals I ever had!
DSCN0658.jpg (851.18 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
Nextup was an Ice cream, honey and ginger ice cream to be exact.
A bit too much ginger for my taste ;)
Honey and ginger ice cream
Honey and ginger ice cream
DSCN0659.jpg (770.69 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
After a while we were treated with a nice hot sandwich.
Hot Sandwich
Hot Sandwich
DSCN0671.jpg (682.79 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
Some coffee is always a plus.
Coffee
Coffee
DSCN0660.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 2250 times

Some window pictures:
DSCN0650.jpg
DSCN0650.jpg (790.13 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
Dirty wing
Dirty wing
DSCN0653.jpg (486.25 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
DSCN0679.jpg
DSCN0679.jpg (614.49 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
Racing a CRJ of Delta
Racing a CRJ of Delta
DSCN0684.jpg (528.92 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
Washington Dulles
Washington Dulles
DSCN0708.jpg (673.72 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
DSCN0714.jpg
DSCN0714.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2250 times
A nice golf course
A nice golf course
DSCN0720.jpg (908.83 KiB) Viewed 2250 times

We went off the plane, got to the connecting flights terminal and grabbed our bags off the conveyor belt, walked 10m and dropped it on another conveyor belt, completely pointless and stupid! Then off to the security check again completely pointless in my opinion, there are no shops, nothing, so why are we checked again? It is all because we could have taken something out of our bags so if they just put the bags automatically on the other conveyor belt then people will hate IAD less for connecting flights. Because you loose 1-2 hours with this crazy system. After this screening we had border control, really happy and friendly people (Not at all). Finally after 2 hours and 30 minutes of queueing we were in the departure hall, it's a good thing we had 3 hours of connecting time!!!

Off to the next flight, UA1567, IAD - PHX. Maybe I'll make a flight report on this 5 hour flight as well ;) Just stay tuned.
Wouter C.

sn26567

Re: UA951 BRU-IAD

Post by sn26567 »

Very nice report about all aspects of your flight. No alcohol served in economy class?

Arriving in the US is rarely a piece of cake, especially if you have a connecting flight. I see that things didn't change much. Pre-clearance in Europe on departure will be a big step forward!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

Thanks for the report!

As Andre mentionned... changing in the US isn't easy...

Looking forward to your report on the connecting flight!

Stij

convair

Post by convair »

Predixs wrote:
We went off the plane, got to the connecting flights terminal and grabbed our bags off the conveyor belt, walked 10m and dropped it on another conveyor belt, completely pointless and stupid! Then off to the security check again completely pointless in my opinion, there are no shops, nothing, so why are we checked again? It is all because we could have taken something out of our bags so if they just put the bags automatically on the other conveyor belt then people will hate IAD less for connecting flights. Because you loose 1-2 hours with this crazy system. After this screening we had border control, really happy and friendly people (Not at all). Finally after 2 hours and 30 minutes of queueing we were in the departure hall, it's a good thing we had 3 hours of connecting time!!!
One should not lose sight of the fact that when you travel to the US, you have to go through customs and immigration control at your first point of entry.
Between the moment you grabbed your bags off the belt and drop them on the next belt, your bags were supposed to receive custom clearence. Most of the time today, it's a random check and you might not have noticed it even.
Now, for the security check before taking a domestic flight, they consider that all airports in the world are not equally safe (and, personnally, I would tend to agree with that), hence a check of their own, maybe not better, but it's their own...
It's the same system at JFK, Chicago, Atlanta etc...and you sure need to take that into account when planning your trip, specially your plane connections.
And, yes, they are very serious about it, bordering paranoia. Don't even think about testing their sense of humor there!!! You may be very sorry for that...

I know it's a pain in the.....but it's the way it is nowadays!

Predixs

Post by Predixs »

sn26567 wrote:Very nice report about all aspects of your flight. No alcohol served in economy class?

Arriving in the US is rarely a piece of cake, especially if you have a connecting flight. I see that things didn't change much. Pre-clearance in Europe on departure will be a big step forward!
I did see some small bottles of wine being passed around but I always chose for a soda or just some water when they drove their cart past our seats. :)
convair wrote:
Predixs wrote:
One should not lose sight of the fact that when you travel to the US, you have to go through customs and immigration control at your first point of entry.
Between the moment you grabbed your bags off the belt and drop them on the next belt, your bags were supposed to receive custom clearence. Most of the time today, it's a random check and you might not have noticed it even.
Now, for the security check before taking a domestic flight, they consider that all airports in the world are not equally safe (and, personnally, I would tend to agree with that), hence a check of their own, maybe not better, but it's their own...
It's the same system at JFK, Chicago, Atlanta etc...and you sure need to take that into account when planning your trip, specially your plane connections.
And, yes, they are very serious about it, bordering paranoia. Don't even think about testing their sense of humor there!!! You may be very sorry for that...

I know it's a pain in the.....but it's the way it is nowadays!
Thanks for this clarification! :D
I still think it's strange, but hey it is still the USA that I was traveling to indeed.
Hopefully the pre-clearance will help travelers when flying to the United States in the future.

Then indeed the friendliness,
Me: "Hello, how are you"
He: "Documents"
Me: "Thanks and have a nice day sir"
He: "Next"
Wouter C.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

If possible why not connecting in YYZ Canada ? At the border they are friendly...more than in the US and we never have to wait so much. We connect smoothly.
It's what I'm doing every 3 months flying to Canada, US or Caribbe.