Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

nordikcam

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by nordikcam »

I flew today SN 3727 BRU MAD with airbus A320 OO-SNF. Flight was full 100% and some overbooked passengers !!!!
At the gate in MAD I can see flight back to BRU was full too !

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

As from Monday next week, a new flight schedule will be effective at Brussels Airport. In the temporary structures Brussels Airport can accommodate up to 18,000 departing passengers per day, provided that the passengers arrive evenly spread over the day. Taking into account the applicable safety measures, the growing numbers of passengers per flight and the comfort that Brussels Airport wishes to offer passengers, the slot coordinator, Belgium Slot Coordination, has drawn up a new flight schedule.
It sounds to me that the planned reinstatement of many services next week cannot go ahead as expected:
Ryanair, Jetair, Vueling, Easyjet, SAS, Aer Lingus, Iberia etc.

Especially with the huge surge in passengers next Wednesday evening / Thursday morning for the long weekend. But all airlines continue to report a full return to Brussels next week. Maybe there's just a lag in communication, and the airlines will shortly communicate altered schedules, or how they will continue to operate some routes from regional airports?
In the temporary structures Brussels Airport can accommodate up to 18,000 departing passengers per day,
Can the road checks also cope with this number?

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

lumumba wrote:
sn26567 wrote:You think Brussels is bad? Read the following:

Due to the cancellation of the Daylight Saving time (DST) in Egypt, EGYPTAIR calls for its customers to be present at the airport 4 hours prior to the international flights and 2 hours prior to the domestic flights timing.
Brussels compete with Dusseldorf,Amsterdam,CDG etc... that's where we have to look.
My God ! Egypt is not relevant .. nor Israel for that matter !
Lets come back on topic with some common sense please ?
Of course we have to look at airports such as DUS, EIN, CGN, LIL, LUX etc .. possibly AMS and CDG but those are not excessively efficient given their sheer size which is not comparable to BRU or CRL.
So, from my limited experience the EU standard rule regarding (pre)check-in time before EDT should be (or used to be) along these lines (rule of the thumb) :
- Schengen/no luggage : 1 H
- Non schengen /no luggage : 1H15
- Schengen/luggage : 1H30
- Non Schengen / luggage : 1H45
Exceptions : US might be 2 H and Israel 3 H ...
The Belgian specific extra security hurdles/overhead, IMO questionable, should NEVER exceed 15 min in total.
Typically, the flying creed, the customers are entitled to anticipate 1H15 to 2H00 pre-departure check-in time depending on the specificities of the flight. This seems a realistic (but still conservative) estimation to me.
Therefore BRU as well as CRL urgently needs to get their act together in order to regain some form of competitiveness.
It takes years to build customer confidence up and just no time to break it down ...
Let me point out that also for security reasons, it is advisable to accelerate the throughput inside the terminal, thus reducing the volume of people present at any given time ...
Last edited by sn-remember on 29 Apr 2016, 17:18, edited 32 times in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

This afternoon and tonight the families of the victims will be allowed into the departure hall, without the press, but accompanied by psychologists. They can express their sorrow on a newly erected remembrance wall.

This afternoon as well the government should decide when to reopen the departure hall, in consultation with the police and DGAT.

Next Tuesday the National Security Council should decide about the safety measures in airports. With regard to the queues, the General Commissionner of the federal police Catherine Bolle said that she understands the need for speed and efficiency in an airport and that a balance must be found between efficiency and security.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

The departure hall at Brussels Airport will partially reopen on 1st May.
Brussels Airport.jpg
Full article: https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... all-1-may/

Best regards,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Three flights will be registered from the departures hall on 1 May, two of them Brussels Airlines flights: SN3737 (Malaga) + SN3819 (Lisbon), both STD 17:15. The third one is a Jetairfly flight.

To know which airlines will use the departure hall and which airlines remain in the provisional structure after 2 May, see https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... s-airport/
André
ex Sabena #26567

b-west

Post by b-west »

What is the third flight departing from the departures hall, apart from the two SN flights?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

b-west wrote:What is the third flight departing from the departures hall, apart from the two SN flights?
Jetairfly TB7229 to Palma de Mallorca (STD 17:00) .
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

The queue to get inside this morning was about 1h15 min (from the bus station to the temporary hall) and then 45min from the hall to get through security. Only 3 lanes were open. I know its not BRU's fault, but this is unworthy to a gateway inside/outside the country. :s

SLM

Post by SLM »

I don't understand why only 3 lanes are open to get trough security.
We had the same problem mid April.

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

I arrived yesterday (Saturday 30 April) and was picked up by friends I called by mobile once I got to the P2 parking paying machines next to the Sheraton, friend called me when they were waiting for me at level 6, by the time I got up there and drove out of P2 had to pay 3.5 euros at a machine at the exit.
I find this unacceptable, first 30 minutes should be free of charge (sinc there is no other way to get picked up), shame on you Brussels Airport.

barnabelg

Post by barnabelg »

SLM wrote:I don't understand why only 3 lanes are open to get trough security.
Short of staff maybe? Are they using the same people for the checks outside, the same company? So maybe they did not hire anyone new?

Anyway, none of what I am reading here is changing my mind about avoiding BRU for now. I have just booked my travel for the next few weeks through RTM, AMS, LIL, FRA...

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

A small question:
why did they put what looks like sand on the ground around all those tents at the departure level?
(see picture)

webstermc

Post by webstermc »

It seems to me that there are far mote waiting queues during the weekend. On a worrday, we hear that 1hour is feasable, during the we, a lot more is needed.

Is this just a feeling or van this be confirmed?

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

SLM wrote:I don't understand why only 3 lanes are open to get trough security.
To make the point ad absurdo?
:wink:

H.A.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Inquirer wrote:A small question:
why did they put what looks like sand on the ground around all those tents at the departure level?
(see picture)
They resurfaced the curb and the finishing layer is sort of yellow/brown, but it's definitely not sand ;)

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

It seems to me that there are far mote waiting queues during the weekend.
I am due to travel Wednesday evening. With the bank holiday on Thursday, I expect the airport to be extremely busy. Looking at a sample of flights scheduled on Wednesday evening, many are fully booked. What's more, there will be many more flights operating from BRU starting tomorrow. I fear the system is not ready for so many passengers :oops:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Charlie Roy wrote:there will be many more flights operating from BRU starting tomorrow. I fear the system is not ready for so many passengers :oops:
But the departure hall is open again, allowing for an 80% of the normal capacity. There are also be additional lanes at the departure level for the police pre-checks!
André
ex Sabena #26567