Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sean1982

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote: Which leads me to my final question: when are the police finally going to give free the airport of BRU again?
No time frame has been given I'm afraid :/

avroflyer_1

Post by avroflyer_1 »

Inquirer wrote:I am rescheduled by Brussels Airlines onto a flight leaving from Liege for my next trip: thanks for that guys, you're doing a great job and I really mean it, because half the airlines in Europe simple don't bother and have canceled their flights to BRU and that's it for them.

Brussels Airlines have also organized a free shuttle bus from Brussels to Liege, but I am just wondering if it's possible to drive (and park) at Liege airport? Or is everything full there already?

If its not possible to use own transport, I'll kindly take their offer for a shuttle, but otherwise I prefer to drive there myself with the short term lease car I am currently driving as mine is still stuck at the front park in BRU. :?

Which leads me to my final question: when are the police finally going to give free the airport of BRU again?
I would personally take the shuttle, because parking space at LGG is limited due to the huge amount of flights leaving LGG lately however that is the information that I've got at this time so perhaps someone near LGG could provide exact info.

Enjoy your flight!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Brussels Airport says that all emergency accommodations have now been closed: a solution was found for all stranded passengers.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

That is good news in these harsh time! Let's pick up our lives and show those evil things (those are not human beings for me) that we will not bend!

Hopefully EVERY airline can soon start it's operations out of BRU again!

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

The NOTAMs have been updated:

Code: Select all

Text:AD ONLY AVBL FOR FERRY, EMERG, STATE AND SAR FLT. GENERAL AVIATION FLT ALLOWED TO/FROM APRON 51C AND GENERAL AVIATION TERMINAL. CARGO-ONLY FLT ALLOWED TO/FROM APRON 9 AND 60. AIRPORT SLOT COMPULSORY FOR ALL CIV FLT. NO NIGHT CURFEW IN PLACE
Thomas

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

A heartwarming news story on the many ordinary people who became anonymous heros Tuesday:
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20160323_02199363
Nice gesture too, btw.

mad_fab

Post by mad_fab »

KriVa wrote:The NOTAMs have been updated:

Code: Select all

Text:AD ONLY AVBL FOR FERRY, EMERG, STATE AND SAR FLT. GENERAL AVIATION FLT ALLOWED TO/FROM APRON 51C AND GENERAL AVIATION TERMINAL. CARGO-ONLY FLT ALLOWED TO/FROM APRON 9 AND 60. AIRPORT SLOT COMPULSORY FOR ALL CIV FLT. NO NIGHT CURFEW IN PLACE
So Abelag is now open?

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Anyone knows how DHL is handling their BRU operations?

mad_fab

Post by mad_fab »

Established02 wrote:Anyone knows how DHL is handling their BRU operations?
I read LEJ somewhere (which make sense), but can't remember where.

simulator

Post by simulator »

@ Inquirer...
I've just come home from assignment to EBLG this morning, handling 6 departing flights....when I arrived at EBLG this morning around 05:30hr the parking was nearly empty, by the time I left at 12 hr it was already 75% full... and this is basically the first (full) day of operations out of EBLG.... I'm quite confident that at present rate of flights leaving EBLG, by the (beginning of the) weekend the parking space around the airport will be fully occupied...
Just for your info...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Brussels airport announces all flights suspended until Monday 28 March at earliest after Brussels Attacks.
André
ex Sabena #26567

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

I'd strongly advice anybody affected by the reroutings through one of the regional airports to use the ground transport organized by Brussels Airlines: it's free (we're going the extra smile, remember?), it's convenient, it's straight to where you need to be and you will avoid parking problems or parking fees even because indeed, no regional airport is doted with sufficient parking for the influx of passengers currently experienced by them.

The full schedules of both shuttle lines to LGG and ANR can be found online:

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-be/ ... liege.aspx

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-be/ ... twerp.aspx

What's more: everybody flying us is upgraded to flex&fast onboard, meaning free meals and drinks, because we also go the extra smile on the air. Just a small gesture to all those people often in distress because of what's happening in Belgium and the changes it has brought to their travel plans.
Last edited by tolipanebas on 24 Mar 2016, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

simulator wrote: I'm quite confident that at present rate of flights leaving EBLG, by the (beginning of the) weekend the parking space around the airport will be fully occupied...
Just for your info...
There are a few hidden parking, but I guess everything has a limit yes.
Check this for the most detailed map : http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/50.64214/5.46255
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

sn26567 wrote:Brussels airport announces all flights suspended until Monday 28 March at earliest after Brussels Attacks.
And from what I heard I strongly doubt it will open on monday... But I guess the only smart thing to do until they get access is to close a couple days at a time iso closing for a longer period.

jake99

Post by jake99 »

Established02 wrote:Anyone knows how DHL is handling their BRU operations?
Truck operations seems to be starting again at the Hub(a lot of trucks on the parking already one hour ago)
Yesterday Kalitta landed and was handled on brucargo,there was also one or two inbound flights this night.

Also BAC started to build shelters near the connector (swissport side).
Apparently this will be the temporary check-in.(the "tunnel" underneath the connecor is closed because there is a fenced zone created where they are building these shelters)

Rumors are that Building 5 will be a baggage claim building
Last edited by jake99 on 24 Mar 2016, 18:30, edited 2 times in total.

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Brussels Airport has started a luggage retrieve operation.

Hand luggage and checked-in luggage from certain aircraft can now be retrieved in building 722 at Brucargo.

Flights:

Brussels Airlines
Toulouse Blagnac - SN3575
Marseille Provence - SN3597
Paris - Charles De Gaulle - SN3629
Lisbon - SN385
Sevilla - SN3741
Madrid - SN3721
Milan Malpensa - SN3157
Birmingham - SN2037
Faro - SN3801
New York JFK - SN501
Hamburg - SN2623
Malaga - SN3735
Nice - SN3617
Bilbao - SN3713
Budapest - SN2823
Lyon - SN3587
Hannover - SN2633
Berlin Tegel - SN2581
Venice - SN3201
Stockholm Bromma - SN2303
Rome Fiumicino - SN3177
Milan Linate - SN3147
London Heathrow - SN2093
Hamburg - SN2173
Tel Aviv - SN3289
Abidjan - SN285
Cotonou - SN285
Dakar - SN205
Entebbe - SN469
Kigali - SN469

Iberia
Madrid - IB3207

Turkish Airlines
Istanbul - TK1942

Air Baltic
Riga - BT602

Aegean Airlines
Athene - A3621

Czech Airlines
Praag - OK631

Etihad Airways
Abu Dhabi - EY454

More info is available on the website of Brussels Airport: http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/alarm/69875/

Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Two Jet Airways crew man and woman hit by the explosion, pic of the hostess http://185.26.182.217/Rqae5eb53b-c103-4 ... /file.jpeg

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

What will the options be if it turns out the terminal has structural issues after the attack? Any idea what the possibilities are?
How long can an international airport remain closed?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

They will have to build some temporary infrastructure outside/next to the existing families, I suppose?

It has happened before in at least 2 cases I've seen for myself: DUS was once hit by a fire and in VIE they have been checkin people in in sort of tents on the car park during renovation works too.
Looked a bit strange at first, but worked just as well in fact and not uncomfortable even as they were heated and well insulated etc because those structures stood there for more than a year.

What may have to happen however is that BRU may have to limit its capacity and in that case choices will have to be made: I suppose home based airlines will get priority then? Some airlines may be locked out even, so not nice, but what can they do? they can't remain closed for weeks just because 5% of their infrastructure is damaged, can they?

edit: just saw that Bralo20 mentioned that indeed they are already building the alternative infrastructure, so I guess they go for this scenario?

b-west

Post by b-west »

The damage to the terminal is extensive. A colleague witnessed it and said the area where Delifrance was located is completely demolished, you can look straight onto the tarmac from there. It may sound hard, but we were extremely lucky the third and strongest bomb only was set off after everybody was evacuated. The casualties would've been much higher.

There will be a need for temporary checkin counters, maybe in a tent in front of the terminal, who knows.