Amsterdam Schiphol to get US border control? And Brussels thereafter?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Amsterdam Schiphol to get US border control? And Brussels thereafter?

Post by sn26567 »

The U.S. authorities would like to conduct passenger and baggage border controls in Amsterdam Schiphol airport and have ask Dutch authorities for the authorisation to do so. That would remove a great hassle from passengers travelling to the U.S. and give Amsterdam airport a competitive advantage over other European platforms.

Could we expect the same in Brussels soon?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Re: Amsterdam Schiphol to get US border control?

Post by Acid-drop »

What's the hidden goal ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Acid-drop wrote:What's the hidden goal ?
Main cost of this setup is for the organizing country, because "it's in the benefit of their citizens". Airport and airline(s) probably share the costs at AMS.

They (U.S.) want a whole terminal then, or at least a very secured area, because once the passengers are cleared by them, they are seen as domestic passengers within the U.S.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

The US itself is in favour of more pre-clearance facilities, they are talking with at least 7 European countries/airports. AMS would obviously favor having US pre-clearance as it is a good selling point. Look at Ireland and Aer Lingus, how they use it as a marketing tool.

VAA

Post by VAA »

It is keeping 'unsafe' passengers as much as possible out of the US and even out of the international areas of US airports I assume..

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

VAA wrote:
It is keeping 'unsafe' passengers as much as possible out of the US and even out of the international areas of US airports I assume..
Exactly my thoughts... thats probably the true hidden goal.
i doubt its a commercial/marketing matter.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Acid-drop wrote: Exactly my thoughts... thats probably the true hidden goal.
i doubt its a commercial/marketing matter.
If you are looking at the US' goal yes. What I said was from the perspective of AMS, which is purely commercial (same like DXB which is crying to get US pre-clearance after AUH got it, altough it is quite a disaster in Abu Dhabi). But either way, it's hardly a 'hidden' goal, is it?

Btw, most famous examples of pre-clearance are Ireland and AUH, but Canada for example has quite a lot of US pre-clearance facilities and earlier this year they agreed on expanding it even further. I believe in total (so not only Canada) they have something like 15 pre-clearance facilities.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

For the US it means the cost of clearance are transfered in other's hands.
For the grantees airlines point of view , it is indeed a commercial advantage however it has a cost and it's an operartional hindrance, the transit time must be extended with one additional hour at least. And some airports cannot implement it bcs of layout structures.
However all in all it's a strong marketing tool to have and bru would certainly profit from such a scheme. Sn and star could develop here more activities in the future if it was indeed implemented.

LJ

Post by LJ »

RoMax wrote:
AMS would obviously favor having US pre-clearance as it is a good selling point. Look at Ireland and Aer Lingus, how they use it as a marketing tool.
I doubt that AMS wants this. This seriously increases transfer times and that's something which will bea big problem for AMS. Logistically it may be possible with the planned extension, but even then it is probably not very efficient for them (you cannot assign gates at random). Finally, it's the Dutch government which mus approve it and there's enough opposition to this scheme to make it highly probably that t wouldn't go ahead.
sn-remember wrote:However all in all it's a strong marketing tool to have and bru would certainly profit from such a scheme. Sn and star could develop here more activities in the future if it was indeed implemented.
It woul;dn't be an important marketing tool if you're one of many who have it. Moreover, how many fly via Ireland to be pre cleared?

b720

Post by b720 »

Not always an advantage for pax.. As will be required to be at the airport at least an hour earlier than before.. That might make it 3 hours before departure... While upon landing in the U.S. One can expect either 5 min at immigration or 1.5 hours or anything in between.. The situation is improving there as there is s faster track for transiting or connecting pax and people on esta are allowed to use electronic machines...

MrG4

Post by MrG4 »

Last edited by MrG4 on 24 May 2015, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I don't think that the fact that NL wants to limit flights from the Gulfies (this news is available in other languages than Romanian, by the way) has anything to do with the US request.

Holland was traditionally a country that was very positive with regard to open skies. That was, as long as it benefited KLM. But now that the Gulfies are taking market share away from KLM, suddenly the Dutch government jumps in! Surprise?
André
ex Sabena #26567

LJ

Post by LJ »

sn26567 wrote: But now that the Gulfies are taking market share away from KLM, suddenly the Dutch government jumps in! Surprise?
It's a request from the US governement. The Dutch government has decided to "investigate the effects" and has strong reservations on this idea (not only due to the cost involved, but also because it's politcally a sensitive subject, especially as it concerns US governement officials of Dutch soil). Thus the Dutch goevernent hasn't "jumped in", they basically parked the idea and I doubt if the study will be completed very soon.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

sn26567 wrote: Holland was traditionally a country that was very positive with regard to open skies. That was, as long as it benefited KLM. But now that the Gulfies are taking market share away from KLM, suddenly the Dutch government jumps in! Surprise?
What's wrong with that ? Protectionism is not an ugly word IMO. Protectionism is a reality that drives politics from the US to China (to mention only the biggests players). Unfortunately the EC is far too unresponsive to this concept for ideological reasons mostly.
On the US customs and security preclearance issue, I find this article to give an interesting account:
http://crankyflier.com/2014/01/30/what- ... having-it/

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Arnaud Feist, CEO of Brussels Airport, has just announced on Twitter that "Brussels Airport has been selected by US Homeland Security department for pre-clearance analysis phase. This is an important step for Belgium's connectivity".
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bralo20

Re: Amsterdam Schiphol to get US border control? And Brussels thereafter?

Post by Bralo20 »

The announcement by DHS:

http://www.dhs.gov/news/2015/05/29/dhs- ... w-airports
The 10 airports identified for possible preclearance locations include: Brussels Airport, Belgium; Punta Cana Airport, Dominican Republic; Narita International Airport, Japan; Amsterdam Airport Schipol, Netherlands; Oslo Airport, Norway; Madrid-Barajas Airport, Spain; Stockholm Arlanda Airport, Sweden; Istanbul Ataturk Airport, Turkey; and London Heathrow Airport and Manchester Airport, United Kingdom. These countries represent some of the busiest last points of departure to the United States – in 2014, nearly 20 million passengers traveled from these ten airports to the US.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Amsterdam and Brussels are still on the first priority list.

Today the US Dept of Home Security published a second priority list:

https://www.aviation24.be/organisations/dh ... clearance/
André
ex Sabena #26567

stragke

Post by stragke »

so if this is going to happen in BRU.
Wouldn't this be an perfect utilisation of terminal 'T'? right next to the european gates yet better safety. and I think their's enough space for the 3x United's 2x SN's and the delta.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

stragke wrote:so if this is going to happen in BRU.
Wouldn't this be an perfect utilisation of terminal 'T'? right next to the european gates yet better safety. and I think their's enough space for the 3x United's 2x SN's and the delta.
2 DL will be there : 1 JFK and 1 ATL...enough gates ?

stragke

Post by stragke »

din't know their were gonne be 2 DL flights but still have not the slightest clue how many gates are in the terminal could be 6 could be 8.