Inauguration of the "Connector" at Brussels Airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Flanker2

Re: Inauguration of the "Connector" at Brussels Airport

Post by Flanker2 »

The airlines/airports' toughest critic is on the way in a few days. I will chrono the time it takes from the gate to the luggage pick-up and post it along with all the good and bad things I see along the way.

If it takes more than 12 minutes, ie the equivalent time of walking 1 kilometer, you won't hear the end of it. If there are no walkways in the connector, you won't hear the end of it anyway. :evil:

b-west

Post by b-west »

Guess we won't hear the end of it then.

I've been through connector, but not as a passenger yet. A few remarks: it is indeed very bright and has a pleasant modern look.
The shopping mall part is fortunately smaller than I expected, and I at least wasn't forced to go through the shops to reach terminal A.
There were long queues visible at security, but I didn't time them. It seemed to me that most of the "longest security screening lines in Europe" were closed (which fits nicely with my: money for infrastructure, not for people criticism).
When going from the connector to terminal A, the topaas feels dark and a bit cramped now, a feeling that is for a part at least caused by the dark brown marble floor compared to the light coloured one in connector. The corridor you have to go through just before reaching the gates of terminal A (where the old stella bar used to be, pity all the Sabena memorabilia are gone) feels especially crowded and slows you down. The flow of passengers there is just too big, they should've just done away with the store there (I know, blasphemy) and made for a smoother passage into the terminal itself.

BAAV

Post by BAAV »

I have been through the connector this morning at around 8.15 and it is a major improvement (good job)
* very bright area making it more welcome
* great view of the apron
* much more space in general and also between the different lines where your luggage is checked so staff have more space to do their work

I had less than 1 min waiting time at the check area
afterwards you take a left, go down and you have to go through a shopping area, fortunately it is relatively small
All in all you gain huge amount of time now that the tunnel usage is scrapped

I think signage could be a bit clearer though, it is small and there could be more signs.
+ in good Belgian tradition, the new building's colours differ from the old (eg the floors) abruptly and the wide space of the connector becomes narrow in the terminal

PS: I saw some bewildered arriving passengers going down into the tunnel instinctively it seems only to find out that they should have gone left instead of going down...

cnc

Post by cnc »

i've been looking at the connector a few times now and i like it but that is not an exp as pax.

azingrew

Post by azingrew »

do the arriving passengers still have to go through the old tunnel?

b-west

Post by b-west »

azingrew wrote:do the arriving passengers still have to go through the old tunnel?
Nope, after going through the shopping area they stay on the same level and take a hallway to the luggage hall

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Just been through the new infrastructure for the first time on a daytrip to FRA.

My personal impression is that the connector is an airy and bright area with a nice view on the airport.
The distance between check-in area and plane hasn't been shortened by it, it just appears a little bit shorter now because they have filled it with the security points, the views on the airport... and even more shops.

It's a nice piece of infrastructure and it serves a real practical purpose too, but it's clear the aim is to make people shop as well, something which is obvious when you arrive back at BRU: then too, you are forced to go by all those shops too for instance even though you don't really have to be in the connector at all (no security), although they haven't made it as hard, disorienting and long as at some other airports (yet) which have made a full slalom track out of the trip through the shopping lane upon arrival.

There are many pressing issues at BRU currently: the lack of terminal gates in the morning, the lack of car parking space, the crowded feeling of the check in area etc. Was this really the most pressing issue?
I doubt it, but I am sure it's the investment which will yield the highest RoI, hence it's been given top priority status, most likely.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Today I noticed works at the old building camp at brucargo. It seems they are creating an extra discount parking.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I used the connector as arrivig pax and this is my impression:
As arriving pax you are spared from the shopping mall and the walk has become smoother as you no longer have to walk around different escalators down and up.
From the A gates to the luggage belts it's 7-12 minutes and the view makes it feel mentally shorter, but the legs feel that it's not.

It's a pitty that they didn't install a walkway there, it was more than possible and would have been an overall improvement. The view is definitely an upgrade.

Was it worth investing 70 millions? The blunt answer is no.

I suggest that they install AED's and emergency stretchers every 30 meters because if elderly people collapse in there, you don't want to waste time to run to either side to get help. With a stretcher, you could save more than 5 minutes just by carrying the person directly to the main building, where the doctor can assist immediately.