Turkish Airlines A330-300 has crash-landed in Kathmandu (Nepal)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Passenger

Re: Turkish Airlines A330-300 has crash-landed in Kathmandu (Nepal)

Post by Passenger »

Nepal's CAA announced that the airport would re-open on Saturday (Mar 7th) at 10:00L.

(source : AvHerald)

mad_fab

Post by mad_fab »

Just realized that the report on avherald (http://avherald.com/h?article=482a5e9e&opt=0 ) says:
Nepal's Civil Aviation Authority (CAAN) reported one of the wheels had touched down off the runway, the tyre burst, the aircraft subsequently veered left.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

More info on http://www.airkule.com/haber/GOBEKLITEP ... ELDI/19835

Very difficult to determine the extent of damages by just looking at the pictures but it seems like it'll take a bit more than duct tape to bring her back in the air.
nepal-1.jpg
govde3-ek.jpg
govde-ek.jpg
motor-2-ek.jpg
Such damage (cowling torn open) could not be seen on engine N°2 just after the accident (see André's pic posted on March 4th).
motor-ek.jpg
More pics on Airkule.com

Considering the limited facilities available in KTM, and although TC-JOC is less than one-year old, I wonder if the last words of this story will not be :

"Rest in pieces".

H.A.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

engine damage is one thing ... this can be changed quite easily. The hull damage is much more concerning .. very difficult to fix especially at KTH. I suspect a write off :o

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

They clearly landed below minima:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkLUriZP ... e=youtu.be

From my experience and confirmed by this accident, TK is a third world airline with first world marketing.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Flanker2 wrote:...They clearly landed below minima...

...From my experience and confirmed by this accident, TK is a third world airline with first world marketing...
Your conclusion is contradicted by a statement from Kathmandu ATC (as covered by AvHerald.com). Although you are, by far, our expert for virtual aviation and Google (except for African airports searches, that is), you have missed it: “…While the aircraft was on final approach the airport was suddenly covered with dense fog…”.

They had the runway in sight during their second approach, but were surprised by sudden and dense fog once on the ground.

From my experience (which is limited to only 4 flights) Türkish is fine.

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Passenger wrote:They had the runway in sight during their second approach, but were surprised by sudden and dense fog once on the ground.
I didn't read the whole story, but when they were above minima why didn't they initiate a go-around and/or diversion to the alternate?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote:
Flanker2 wrote:...They clearly landed below minima...

...From my experience and confirmed by this accident, TK is a third world airline with first world marketing...
Your conclusion is contradicted by a statement from Kathmandu ATC (as covered by AvHerald.com). Although you are, by far, our expert for virtual aviation and Google (except for African airports searches, that is), you have missed it: “…While the aircraft was on final approach the airport was suddenly covered with dense fog…”.

They had the runway in sight during their second approach, but were surprised by sudden and dense fog once on the ground.

From my experience (which is limited to only 4 flights) Türkish is fine.
Says mr Google himself ... Rofl!

Btw, mr aviation expert, if you lose visual contact with the runway in any other approach than a CATIII, a go around is mandatory!

hakan

Post by hakan »

None of us can really answer these questions until the official report of this accident is published. Then we can make our comments. The only good thing came out from this accident so far is that nobody was hurt or died.

We usually learn more and improve more after each aviation accident. Let's see what lessons we will learn from this one as well as recent Delta and Air Canada accidents.

Please also refrain making "cheap" remarks and referring THY as third world airliner. Luchtzak forum is no place for derogatory remarks. Please stick to the subject and make constructive comments.

I rest my case.
Hakan

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

HQ_BRU_Lover wrote:
Passenger wrote:They had the runway in sight during their second approach, but were surprised by sudden and dense fog once on the ground.
I didn't read the whole story, but when they were above minima why didn't they initiate a go-around and/or diversion to the alternate?
"...Kathmandu Airport reported the aircraft went around on first approach due to lack of visual reference with the runway, the second approach occurred quite some time later..."

"...Kathmandu Air Traffic Control reported that the aircraft aborted the first approach about 1nm before touchdown when the crew could not see the runway. The aircraft was on a RNP approach at that time requiring a visibility of 900 meters, visibility at that time was 1000 meters. The aircraft subsequently initiated a second approach, while descending through about 1200 feet AGL ATC queried the crew whether they could see the runway but did not receive a reply, about 2-3 minutes later the crew radioed tower that they had veered off the runway and were on the shoulder of the runway. While the aircraft was on final approach the airport was suddenly covered with dense fog..."

Source:
http://avherald.com/h?article=482a5e9e&opt=0

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I don't really care what KTM ATC says, the evidence is in that video.
You can't see the tip of the wing nor the ground until flare height.

Actually at 2:26 to 2:28 for the first time you can see something and what do you see? You can see the freaking runway centerline from the cabin. :shock:
I admit that I would sh*t my pants if I saw that from the cabin of a widebody.

If they had the runway visual, then it's impossible that they would have continued the landing so much off the centerline.
If you lose visual at anytime below decision altitude, it's a go-around.

In addition, the passiveness of the crew after the evacuation is inexcusable as seen in the below video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr7Y65quulU

Pax are just allowed to walk around freely anywhere they want, around emergency vehicles that are actively working.
Rescue services are looking at the crew, the crew are looking at the rescue services. No one is in control.

A totally different picture than what a real top notch (and I don't mean Skytrax) airline presents here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLM3-_HUVyw
FO liaising with rescue services.
Pax instructed to line up for counting, pax count, purser confirming pax count to FO. Cabin crew walking around without their high heels, holding either a megaphone or first aid kit, notebook and pen, taking notes of what the captain is saying to the pax.
Captain reassuring pax, explaining what happened and what comes next.
A real delight to see training come together in a real situation.

b-west

Post by b-west »

Funny how everybody just comes out with their hand luggage...

Turkish Airlines crew have been consistently incompetent; apart from a few exceptions; during the non-incident flights I took with them. I can't say to be very surprised to see this incompetence continue during an actual emergency.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The THY A330 is still in KTM, but now its engines have been removed and the Turkish livery has been blanked.

André
ex Sabena #26567

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

sn26567 wrote:The THY A330 is still in KTM, but now its engines have been removed and the Turkish livery has been blanked.

Hello

According to a very good source, this A/C will never fly again. It will be used for spare parts.

Greetings,
All my posted timings are local !

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Turkish Changes Safety Processes After Kathmandu Runway Excursion

Turkish Airlines has made six changes to its processes and procedures following the March 4 excursion by an Airbus A330-300 landing at the Tribhuvan airport in Kathmandu, Nepal after a flawed non-precision instrument approach in fog and deteriorating visibility.

Turkish voluntarily made six upgrades after the incident, including requiring three pilots for Kathmandu approaches, doubling the required minimum visibility to start an approach to 1 nm from 0.5 nm, setting up a quality control unit to review charts, and developing new procedures to check the validity of flight management system databases.

Full article from Aviation Week: http://aviationweek.com/commercial-avia ... -excursion
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

the human factors and the real or perceived pressure not to divert the airplane and continuing the approach while not having the required visual references are however ... NOT adressed :roll:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nor much left of the aircraft in Kathmandu airport now:

André
ex Sabena #26567