Ryanair in 2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

airazurxtror

Re: Ryanair in 2015

Post by airazurxtror »

OO-ITR wrote: Coming from someone who is not able to find the 69€ rate on SN's site LOL
I confess that I have never been able to find a day return on Brussels Airlines site for 69 euros, whereas I can easily find and book them on Ryanair's for 45 to 55 euros, sometimes less.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

airazurxtror wrote:
OO-ITR wrote: Coming from someone who is not able to find the 69€ rate on SN's site LOL
I confess that I have never been able to find a day return on Brussels Airlines site for 69 euros, whereas I can easily find and book them on Ryanair's for 45 to 55 euros, sometimes less.
Good for you! :P

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

If you are a litle bit flexible it s not that hard to find good prices, I worked in the vakantiesalon so i had to do many booking on the website of SN, i'm not familiar with it as i'm crew but still i found a lot of ticket at 69 euro, rarely the very early or very late one of the day but still if you are flexible it very easy to find by using the " summer of 69" tool on the welcome page of the website.

Now let's go back on the topic lidl airlines :roll:

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

cathay belgium wrote:Hi,

I'm sorry but I'm surely NOT mental but I also didn't found ever a fare of 69 euro at SN site on timings which allow me to have an attractive day out or weeknds...
But as proof I'm not mental I have made bookings on SN at 37-50-55 euros even a dayreturn :p
But not on a SN site offcourse...

And if I can say any pro's and contra's of SN/FR is totally mental in my opinion..
They fly both from BRU,you even don't get free luggage at that rate, no food nor drinks...
What's the difference really ? An airbridge? 250 miles MM return ? And an airbus instead of a blue-yellow Boeing ?

I prefer SN yes ! but I see nowadays less and less reasons why.... ( sometimes SN is just cheaper just not on their site ;) )

CXB
Good to see that people start to understand that the difference is next to none indeed, beside the price then. Our fares are most of the time low. Weekends, day trips. You dont need to pay a premium to fly at "comfortable times"

You can call it Lidl airlines, crew1990 ... But shopping in Lidl is actually smart when you pay 5€ more for the same salami in Delhaize ;)

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Why are we always comparing the 2 airlines (i feel like it's all about frustration), on Europe services SN got 4 classes, check and go, light and relax, flex and fast and business. The check and go class is a low cost class, very similar to Ryanair, easy jet and so on, but it was the objectif to have the same product as them, so yes if you buy a ticket at 69 euro you get more or less the same product of Ryanair, what are you expecting, Champaign, business lounge? no way.

Did i say anything bad about lidl Sean? And this is not coming from me, this is Ryanair self witch pretend to be like lidle, aldi, ikea etc... I personally use to compare them to Mac Donald but this is my own point of view :-)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

crew1990 wrote:Why are we always comparing the 2 airlines
if you buy a ticket at 69 euro you get more or less the same product of Ryanair
Yes - but at Ryanair you can find it for less than 69 euros.
And at Ryanair you can choice and combine the flights at your will, because you are given separately the price of each flight - not the return fare and schedules arranged as best suits SN.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

This is why I said "more or less" Brussels Airlines have some nice product as well as the B.pass, B.Family, B.student etc... but i don't denied that Ryanair is good too when you want a return ticket on the same day or a one way ticket.But it just that every time we post something on Ryanair, Brussels Airlines come up and the other way around too. And then the comments are removed as it s off topic. Why do not open a "Brussels Airlines vs Ryanair" topic or a more general "traditional airlines vs low cost airlines"?

Stij

Post by Stij »

sean1982 wrote:Good to see that people start to understand that the difference is next to none indeed, beside the price then.
Sean, in the discussion about waiting in the cold, you wrote something else...
sean1982 wrote:Seriously .. I don't get this constant whining about "waiting outside" anymore. You know you booked FR, you know we don't use airbridges, you know you're gonna be boarding in open air. Why come back to it every .. single ... time? It's partly why you pay such a low price!
Cheers,

Stij

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Stij wrote:
sean1982 wrote:Good to see that people start to understand that the difference is next to none indeed, beside the price then.
sean1982 wrote:Seriously .. I don't get this constant whining about "waiting outside" anymore. You know you booked FR, you know we don't use airbridges, you know you're gonna be boarding in open air. Why come back to it every .. single ... time? It's partly why you pay such a low price!
Cheers,

Stij
That's why I said next to none .. the airbridge being about the only one I can think off

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Now, what if one has to wait 5 minutes in the cold before boarding ?
When you take the bus or the tram, you never have to wait ? 5 or 10 minutes and more if it is late ? In the cold and perhaps the rain as the case may be.
And, as used to say Michael O'Leary, a plane is a bus with wings !

Stij

Post by Stij »

sean1982 wrote:That's why I said next to none .. the airbridge being about the only one I can think off
That, plus

- the inability to make connections without the risk of having to pay a new ticket
- the limited availability of seats on other flights in case of a cancelled flight
- majority of flights from secondary airports
- no frequent flyer program
- victorious sound after a punctual landing + stupid applause ;-)

Don't get me wrong: I know this, and I live with this, I'm not complaining. Part of the product offer, explains the lower average price.

The thing I had with waiting in the cold in Brussels was that it's perfectly avoidable without augmenting costs.

Cheers,

Stij

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Stij wrote:
Cheers,

Stij
That's a nice illustration of the schisma I warned about when they embarked on their improvement program.

At one end, when you upscale your product to attract a new category of customers, you also have to match certain implicit expectations from those new and 'better' customers (by showing to have improved indeed), while at the same time, you risk being unable to improve enough to satisfy those exectations because by doing so, you'd increase your costs beyond the point where you loose contact with your traditional lewer end market segment.
It's why the best way to cover different market segments is by using different brands: be it Skoda/VW/audi/Porsche, or IAG with IB/Vueling/BA etc, the fact remains.
Ryanair stubornly tries to do it with just one brand nevertheless, thus seriously limiting the potential to really penetrate deeply into the mainstream markets all while still opening a void to new ultralow costs at the same time.
It was an impulsive reaction which they should have spared themselves, especially if they are serious about their long haul operations (I think they are) and which they will have to launch under a different brand nevertheless: they should have launched that brand already now and used it for their flights from the main airports.
It would have been good to put the new brand in the market already, segregate the better product from the traditional basic ryanair product completely and avoid overpromissing and underdelivering like they now inevitably do to some people.
In fact, I am pretty sure THAT was plan A (the brand was Aer Lingus, ILHO), and what we see now, is 'just' a hastly plan B.
Stij wrote:
sean1982 wrote:That's why I said next to none .. the airbridge being about the only one I can think off
That, plus

- the inability to make connections without the risk of having to pay a new ticket
- the limited availability of seats on other flights in case of a cancelled flight
- majority of flights from secondary airports
- no frequent flyer program
- victorious sound after a punctual landing + stupid applause ;-)
I would say some other immediately tangible differences (between the lowest classes at both airlines, otherwise it gets too complicated) are;
- the lack of a free newspaper and magazines,
- the lack of FF status recognition,
- the much lower free hand luggage allowance
- the absence of the post flight hand luggage reconciliation at the aircraft
(in case it was moved to the hold due to lack of cabin space)

Oh, and the absence of an automatic check in which simply makes it impossible to accidentally forget to check in online on time and thus having to pay a serious fine of what is it, 50 euro at ryanair even?
It's a very customer friendly and modern idea, even used by Brussels Airlines since a couple of months now, especially for when you are on the move. Thanks to it, you get your boarding pass automatically mailed to you by the time your flight leaves, all without having to do anything for it as a passenger. If you talk about a product improvement, now THAT is something Ryanair should come up with: turn the online check in process around and make it a process initiated by the airline, ISO the passenger. Doesn't cost them a cent really and takes all the risk out of the deal.

http://www.brusselsairlines.com/com/mis ... ck-in.aspx

In fact, online check in is something I've always found silly to do ever since the advent of luggage free flying, so maybe this warants a new discussion topic all by itself, since many people haven't even heard of this feature.
So I've created one.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

http://www.liligo.fr/magazine-voyage/vo ... 30492.html
Ryanair se retire de l’aéroport Toulon-Hyères, à la (mauvaise) surprise générale, rapporte Air-Journal.
Ryanair ne reprendra pas ses vols pour Londres (Stansted) et Dublin. Cette décision était inattendue car ces lignes étaient fréquentées.
La compagnie la justifie par le fait qu’elle manque d’appareils pour faire face à la demande estivale sur l’ensemble de son réseau.

Ryanair won't resume its flights to/from Toulon this summer.
Reason : not enough aircraft available for the summer.

It may also explain why the Brussels base is not developing faster.
It's high time the new aircraft arrive !

(EI-FID delivered Dublin on 28 February 2015)

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer, you love to piss on Ryanair not being able to resposition themselves in the market under the current brand, which for the majority of the people is working as is shown by last years brilliant business figures. Yet you seem to completely ignore that SN is doing the same but the other way around, which is partly working but as was shown last week not on the routes in direct competion with the loco's in BRU with a 25% reduction in yield. :roll:

And about that check-in (why whine about it in 2 different posts?) it's an IAA requirement, not the airline's choice
Last edited by sean1982 on 02 Mar 2015, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

airazurxtror wrote:http://www.liligo.fr/magazine-voyage/vo ... 30492.html
Ryanair se retire de l’aéroport Toulon-Hyères, à la (mauvaise) surprise générale, rapporte Air-Journal.
Ryanair ne reprendra pas ses vols pour Londres (Stansted) et Dublin. Cette décision était inattendue car ces lignes étaient fréquentées. La compagnie la justifie par le fait qu’elle manque d’appareils pour faire face à la demande estivale sur l’ensemble de son réseau.

Ryanair won't resume its flights to/from Toulon this summer. Reason : not enough aircraft available for the summer. It may also explain why the Brussels base is not developing faster. It's high time the new aircraft arrive !
Last phrase in that short French article: "L’aéroport de Toulon ne reste pas en rade pour autant : les compagnies low cost Volotea, Flybe, Jetairfly et Transavia proposeront beaucoup de belles destinations aux Toulonnais cet été" = there are lots of other possibilities to fly to/from Toulon: Volotea, Flybe, Jetairfly, Transavia.

So it was a good idea from Toulon airport not to rely on just one customer.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

When asked about Ryanair's competitive position going into primary airports and there becoming an increasing overlap with easyJet, Kenny Jacobs said...
"It's probably something easyJet think about more than Ryanair does. Anytime where we've gone to a base and been more head-to-head with easyJet we've seen them reduce rather than increase the capacity."
"We're very confident when we get to particular bases we'll be taking on any competitor and we don't see many competitors staying with us that often. But over the next number of years all LCCs will do well as the national flag-carriers continue to reduce capacity across Europe."

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

airazurxtror wrote:When asked about Ryanair's competitive position going into primary airports and there becoming an increasing overlap with easyJet, Kenny Jacobs said... "It's probably something easyJet think about more than Ryanair does. Anytime where we've gone to a base and been more head-to-head with easyJet we've seen them reduce rather than increase the capacity." "We're very confident when we get to particular bases we'll be taking on any competitor and we don't see many competitors staying with us that often. But over the next number of years all LCCs will do well as the national flag-carriers continue to reduce capacity across Europe."
Contrary to what mr. Jacobs says, overlapping a network works both ways. When EasyJet or Jetairfly or Jet4You or Transavia or WOW enters an airport where Ryanair is already established, Ryanair has to reduce its number of flights to some destinations. And sometimes thet have to cancel a route or even withdraw (example Groningen Eelde Airport).

But then, the magic Ryanair box opens, and the reason becomes “lack of aircraft”.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Sure :D that's why JAF is pulling out of beauvais 8-)

Btw, jet4you doesnt exist anymore since 3 years or so ... Did Google not tell you that?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:that's why JAF is pulling out of Beauvais.
Jetairfly should have done like Ryanair does: sell Beauvais as "Paris North" or "close to the Eiffel Tower".
sean1982 wrote:Btw, jet4you doesnt exist anymore since 3 years or so ... Did Google not tell you that?
Thanks but no thanks, don't need Google for that. Actually, I was already working at an airport when you were still wearing diapers. Anyway - seems you're still mad on jet4you because they've hurt you at Charleroi. Jetair will be glad to hear this, as they lost quite some money with them.

Fact remains that regional airports nowadays wellcome all airlines, mainly because the European Union forbits secret deals "Ryanair style".

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

http://www.nu.nl/beurs/3903717/ryanair- ... -2015.html

Luchtvaartmaatschappij Ryanair wil volgend jaar een basis openen vanaf Schiphol.
Dit vertelt Kenny Jacobs, de commercieel directeur van de prijsvechter, in een interview.
Jacobs sprak van ''een onvermijdelijke stap''. Voor het zover is moet Ryanair nog wel landingsrechten bemachtigen. Ook de beschikbaarheid van vliegtuigen is nog een vraagteken.
''Dit jaar hebben we geen landingstijden aangevraagd op Schiphol, puur omdat we de toestellen niet hadden om ze te benutten'', aldus Jacobs.

Ook wordt het aanbod vanaf Eindhoven met ingang van de aankomende zomer uitgebreid met vijf nieuwe bestemmingen.
'We hebben hier een hoop te winnen'', zei Jacobs. ''In heel Europa zijn we met 14 procent marktaandeel de grootste, maar in Nederland hebben we maar 4 procent.''

Jacobs voorspelt verder een aanhoudende prijzenoorlog tussen luchtvaartmaatschappijen. Nederlandse vakantiegangers mogen zich daarom de komende tijd verheugen. ''Dat betekent meer keuze tegen lagere tarieven'', aldus de bestuurder.

Vraag bij Nederlandse passagiers is er volgens de tweede man bij de Ierse prijsvechter wel volop. ''Dat zien we wel aan de vele Nederlandse paspoorten die langskomen op onze vluchten vanaf bijvoorbeeld Brussel'', zei hij.
-----------------------------------------
Kenny Jacobs :Ryanair will open a base next year at Schiphol.This year we have not applied for landing times at Schiphol, purely because we did not have the machines to exploit them."
"We have a lot to win, '' Jacobs said. '' Across Europe, we are the largest with 14 percent market share, but in the Netherlands we have only 4 percent. ''

Jacobs further predicts a continuing price war between airlines. Dutch holidaymakers may therefore rejoice in the coming period. '' That means more choice at lower rates, ''.