Ryanair in 2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-ITR

Re: Ryanair in 2015

Post by OO-ITR »

airazurxtror wrote: It's not terrible at all for those who don't like it; but I wouldn't have put the design of a submarine on an aircraft - is it meant to end up in the bottom of the sea, as happened to quite a few aircraft lately ? In my view, it's a bad omen.
Don't worry because you will never have to fly on it. You, stick to your favourite Irish airline! :lol:

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Can we maybe try to stick to interpreting facts please and not insult each other in the most elegant way possible for it to be still allowed by the moderators?

After disagreeing with my reading on the blurred communication lines, I am interested in what your take on the corrective regulatory statement from ryanair is then, Sean? Who should we believe?
Your very vocal management team, or ultimately the more important board?
Because they are both telling something completely different, I hope you have noticed.

And what about flanker2's comment average ticket prices have -not surprisingly- risen quite significantly the last year in order to cover increases in costs for all passengers only to please to the new passengers.
All imagination too?

As could be expected -both flanker2 and I warned for it more than a year ago- the product improvement program walks a very thin line on the cost front and has only a limited strategic importance other than to try to make Ryanair a suitable platform for transatlantic feeding; in the absence of that, it becomes nothing but a panic reaction to the success of an evolved product offer by several competitors and -albeit much needed- it should have been done by a separate brand in order not to spoil the core business model.
Even in conjunction with a transatlantic plan, it should have been done via a separate brand, ideally the same brand used for transatlantic operations itself then: doing it under the ryanair brand itself, is foolish.
I mentioned this more than a year ago too and it seems even your CEO agrees on that, at least on the part related to the separate transatlantic brand; he still believes he can make use of ryanair to feed it (as well as other airlines). Good luck with that, if you already see what flanker2 thinks of average prices now...
Luckily there are quite a few intelligent people on the board who decided to step in and block it all.
Good call, I hope they will become more pro-active in future.

Ryanair's recent strategic decisions are increasingly showing signs of market confusion and product indecisiveness to say the least and their regulatory corporate communication bears signs of it too as we could witness yesterday, regardless how much spin the PR department and some top execs try to put on it.
As the company inceasingly offers a more diverse product, it will also become more complicated to run: given some execs are clearly not used to the new difficulties they face, it seems we may not have seen the end to these unfortunate miscommunications, just yet, which means we may have to take their word with more than just the usual pinch of salt in future, as well as wait a couple of days to see whether they aren't recalled by the board once more.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Instead of replying to something you just bore me with repeating your mantra over and over again. If you're so good you pretend to be you should apply for michael's job

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sean1982 wrote:you should apply for michael's job
I wouldn't be to sure about my job now if I were Michael....
André
ex Sabena #26567

mad_fab

Post by mad_fab »

sean1982 wrote: (I see the usual censorship is also creeping in on the forum again. Queue the Benny Hill Theme)
I just realized that they acutally "splitted" the topic https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55857

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

sn26567 wrote:
sean1982 wrote:you should apply for michael's job
I wouldn't be to sure about my job now if I were Michael....
Rofl :D

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

airazurxtror wrote:Ryanair new arrival jingle :
http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/t ... 88104.html
Superb news, thanks for sharing this with the world. Also newsworthy, same quality: rumors are that Ryanair will also change its toilet paper supplier.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

"It's become synonymous with the Ryanair flight experience to hear an on-time arrival jingle," Robin Kiely, the airline's head of communications, told the Irish Independent. "The new version has proven popular with our customers so far."

The jingle was published on Ryanair's YouTube page last week along with footage depicting what the airline's new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will look like.

The jingle may be irritating because one hears it whenever the Ryanair flight is on time or early, that is to say nearly at every landing.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Passenger wrote:
airazurxtror wrote:Ryanair new arrival jingle :
http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/t ... 88104.html
Superb news, thanks for sharing this with the world. Also newsworthy, same quality: rumors are that Ryanair will also change its toilet paper supplier.
Superb news about an sn-aircraft with Tintin on it, just a coat of paint :lol:

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Ryanair picks Couchbase NoSQL database for mobile reservations app

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2401197/ ... ations-app

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Speaking at a press conference in Madrid tuesday morning, Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary said:"We have just learned about the Germanwings aircraft this morning. The thoughts and prayers of everyone at Ryanair are with the crew and passengers on board this flight and their families. Ryanair has written to Germanwings and its parent company, Lufthansa, as well as to Dusseldorf and Barcelona airports, offering whatever help and assistance we can provide over the coming hours and days." - See more at: http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/ ... x20uV.dpuf

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Irish airlines Aer Lingus and Ryanair require two people to be in the cockpit at all times for the last number of years, while European regulations do not require two on the flight deck at all times during the flight.
However, the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) said it approved procedures with Irish airlines a number of years ago to ensure a minimum of two people are in the cockpit at all times.

Aer Lingus said it followed the policy of two people to remain in the flight deck at all times. Its manual states that if one cockpit crew member needs to leave the cockpit, a cabin crew member is required to stay in the cockpit with the door closed until they return.

Ryanair follows a similar policy where, if a pilot needs to visit the bathroom, a cabin crew supervisor is required to stand in the cockpit for the while they are gone. Both airlines said those procedures had been in place since “sealed cockpits came into being”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environm ... -1.2154915

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

airazurxtror wrote:Irish airlines Aer Lingus and Ryanair require two people to be in the cockpit at all times for the last number of years, while European regulations do not require two on the flight deck at all times during the flight.
However, the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) said it approved procedures with Irish airlines a number of years ago to ensure a minimum of two people are in the cockpit at all times.

Aer Lingus said it followed the policy of two people to remain in the flight deck at all times. Its manual states that if one cockpit crew member needs to leave the cockpit, a cabin crew member is required to stay in the cockpit with the door closed until they return.

Ryanair follows a similar policy where, if a pilot needs to visit the bathroom, a cabin crew supervisor is required to stand in the cockpit for the while they are gone. Both airlines said those procedures had been in place since “sealed cockpits came into being”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environm ... -1.2154915
This is already discussed here:

https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic ... 17#p314509

Let's continue discussion about cockpit presence there, shall we?

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Passenger wrote: This is already discussed here:
https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic ... 17#p314509
Let's continue discussion about cockpit presence there, shall we?
I don't discuss it, I state the facts - for Ryanair under the topic "Ryanair".

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Ryanair claims its new website later this year will be nothing like a traditional airline’s digital presence.

The European low cost carrier says it is looking at the user experience and models more commonly associated with online retailers outside of travel as it prepares to embark on a major overhaul of its website.

Chief marketing officer, Kenny Jacobs, says travellers are driving the changes within the travel sector, rather than industry brands, with mobility and connectivity at the heart of it all.

Jacobs claims the airline is “creating a brave new website” and “improving its apps”, both of which are pencilled in for release later this year.

Jacobs says the airline is thinking more about the online user experience and offering from the likes of global ecommerce giant Amazon and British retailer John Lewis.

“This category [aviation] has been held up for too long,” Jacobs argues, when talking about legacy technology which powers travel websites and how they operate..

To allow it take seize control of its own fate online, he claims the airline is developing its technology in-house via the new Ryanair Labs unit, a division which already has more than 100 people working on creating tools and platforms for both back-end and marketing functions.

“You shouldn’t let the technology providers guide you,” Jacobs argues.

- See more at: http://www.tnooz.com/article/ryanair-am ... 7nRyo.dpuf

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

airazurxtror wrote: I don't discuss it, I state the facts - for Ryanair under the topic "Ryanair".
Fact is that this article appeared on HLN.be tonight - article about the risks of pay-to-fly contracts:

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/33222/Vliegtui ... lden.dhtml

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

First of all ... HLN ... Seriously? One day you slag them off for being unreliable, next day (especially when they write something that supports your anti-Ryanair propaganda) they wrote the gospel.

Next ... It's pure Union bullshit. You can just a much put Rudy De Leeuw in charge of labour in Belgium.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:First of all ... HLN ... Seriously? One day you slag them off for being unreliable, next day (especially when they write something that supports your anti-Ryanair propaganda) they wrote the gospel. Next ... It's pure Union bullshit. You can just a much put Rudy De Leeuw in charge of labour in Belgium.
Off course. If you don't like the message, shoot the messenger.

Quote from that article, 27/03/2015: In totaal werkt maar één op de zes piloten niet in directie dienstverband, maar in bepaalde doelgroepen ligt de verhouding helemaal anders. Veertig procent van de piloten tussen 20 en 30 jaar is niet rechtstreeks tewerkgesteld, en met name de lowcostmaatschappijen maken er veelvuldig gebruik van. Vier op de vijf piloten met zelfstandigenstatuut uit de studie zegt voor een lagekostenvlieger te werken.

On average, only 1 out of 6 pilots (*) doens't have a direct labour contract with the airline. However, within certain groups, it's the opposite. 4 out of 10 younger pilots (20y-30y) have no direct labour contract with their airline, specially those flying for low cost airlines. 4 on 5 pilots (*) who work as "self-employed" fly for low cost carriers.

(*) Source : that study from the University Ghent, discussed here before.

One of the conclusions from that academic study is that many of those "self employed pilots" will not allways report themselves unfit to fly because that means no income for them.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

In 11 years I have only once seen a crew member reporting unfit for duty ... And I offloaded her and called in a standby crew member. And any captain will do exactly the same. So again, your internet knowledge and especially what the media is feeding you is severely coloured into your propaganda. Cause everyone loves a bad guy.