Jacdec Airline Safety Rankings

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

tsv

Jacdec Airline Safety Rankings

Post by tsv »

http://www.jacdec.de/jacdec_safety_ranking_2012.htm

Quite controversial I would have thought. Rankings I thought were interesting;

American Carries have rated surprisingly poorly. Only JetBlue is in the top 20 and it is a low cost carrier. All US legacy carriers rank well below Transaero, the second largest Russian Carrier.

Some fairly reputable Carriers have come in very low, eg JAL, Korean, Asiana, Thai & LAN.

Despite being constantly bagged in the Media for numerous safety issues in recent times Qantas has still come in at #13, just behind Virgin who are ranked #9.

Some Airlines I think have done well to rank in the top 20, Eva, , TAP, Hainan & Transaero.

shockcooling

Re: Jacdec Airline Safety Rankings

Post by shockcooling »

What about this german ranking?

Brussels Airlines is the safest airline!
http://www.focus.de/reisen/flug/airline ... 49676.html

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

2016 rankings are in:

http://www.jacdec.de/airline-safety-ranking-2016/

1 Cathay Pacific Airways
2 Air New Zealand
3 Hainan Airlines
4 Qatar Airways
5 K L M
6 EVA Air
7 Emirates
8 Etihad Airways
9 QANTAS
10 Japan Airlines
12 Lufthansa LH, DLH Germany Germany

For me it's a strange way of ranking ...

Freken

Post by Freken »

In the aviation industry, there is not a single person that trusts the JACDEC rating. Their analysis doesn't include training, the region where the airline operates and the causes of accident. As plenty of people here know, the most important aspects for a "safe" airline are training, maintenance, support, etc.

Making a ranking of the safest airlines in the world is Utopia! There can always go something wrong, but airlines can prevent this the best they can with adequate training and maintenance.

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Emirates with EK521?
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

quixoticguide wrote:Emirates with EK521?
That's why I was sceptic ... today HLN.be dedicated an article to the JACDEC stats

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

And AF is on the 40th place?
And where is JS?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

KLM is already boasting that it is the safest European airline. Based on which criteria?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

I'm also being a bit sceptic about this ranking.

It is an exaggerated visual representation of which airlines are 'safe' based on some statistics. If it is not supported by a valid disclaimer, it could be very tempting for people to jump into wrong conclusions. As such, it could even have some commercial implications.

How is 'safe' determined in this list? What makes CX a safer airline than NZ? Is SN an unsafe airline?

What if someone of the general flying public wants to purchase a ticket for a Brussels Airlines flight and decides to check out these statistics? This person might very well conclude that Brussels Airlines is not a safe airline as they are not in the top ten. He/she might opt to buy a ticket with KL or LH instead, if they fly to the same destination of course.

Best regards,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

Stij

Post by Stij »

Turkish Airlines in the list and Brussels Airlines not? I still must write my flight report but I wasn t impressed from a safety point of view...

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

It's completely ridiculous...SN has older planes than TK but after Dyarbakir, Amsterdam, Milano or Kathmandu...I'm sure I prefer the old SN plane than an other one !

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

http://www.jacdec.de/products-services/vetting/

– Number of potential safety risks (0 – 9)
– smaller airports
– high terrain
– limited airport infrastructure
– only short and medium routes
– ageing fleet
– lack of state governance
– political instability (security risk)
– seasonal severe storms
– seasonal snow / ice

Freken

Post by Freken »

luchtzak wrote:http://www.jacdec.de/products-services/vetting/

– Number of potential safety risks (0 – 9)
– smaller airports
– high terrain
– limited airport infrastructure
– only short and medium routes
– ageing fleet
– lack of state governance
– political instability (security risk)
– seasonal severe storms
– seasonal snow / ice
Ageing fleet isn't equal to a fleet that is more likely to be involved in incidents! A lot of things are wrong with their rating and their analysis. :roll:

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

quixoticguide wrote:And AF is on the 40th place?
And where is JS?
That's the listing based on 2015 events, the 2017 ranking, based on 2016 events will be fully released later this month.

http://www.jacdec.de/airline-safety-ranking-2017/

But I doubt SN will appear and not sure if AF will be higher, JACDEC has something fishy about it, always has and probably always will.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Apuneger wrote:How is 'safe' determined in this list? What makes CX a safer airline than NZ? Is SN an unsafe airline?

What if someone of the general flying public wants to purchase a ticket for a Brussels Airlines flight and decides to check out these statistics? This person might very well conclude that Brussels Airlines is not a safe airline as they are not in the top ten.
Fleet age is a factor. Out of all major airlines only Air Koryo's wide-body fleet is older than SN's. That's likely the reason why SN isn't in the list.

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Jetter wrote:
Apuneger wrote:How is 'safe' determined in this list? What makes CX a safer airline than NZ? Is SN an unsafe airline?

What if someone of the general flying public wants to purchase a ticket for a Brussels Airlines flight and decides to check out these statistics? This person might very well conclude that Brussels Airlines is not a safe airline as they are not in the top ten.
Fleet age is a factor. Out of all major airlines only Air Koryo's wide-body fleet is older than SN's. That's likely the reason why SN isn't in the list.
Air Koryo's wide-body fleet?
The IL76's are almost the same age as OO-SFM from 1993?

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

^^
No, much older. But I couldn't find any airline with an older wide-body fleet than SN but Air Koryo (and Iran Air, but they have new planes on order). Note that SN's A330's are 20 years on average (!) :o

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

The Air Koryo's IL76 are cargo planes the other planes are narrow body planes.

Kam Air, Air Zimbabwe, Eritrean Airlines, Safi Airways, Tajik Air, Orient Thai Airlines have an older wide-body fleet then SN.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Jetter wrote:But I couldn't find any airline with an older wide-body fleet than SN but Air Koryo (and Iran Air, but they have new planes on order). Note that SN's A330's are 20 years on average
With just 9 aircraft in the whole long haul fleet, let's compare them to "average age of specific type" in use with some other airlines:
Average age of the 22 x 747's in use with KLM, Jacdec's safiest European airline: 22 years.
Average age of the 37 x 747's in use with British Airways: 20.4 years.
Average fleet of the 7 x 767's in use with British Airways: 21.8 years.
Average fleet of the 9 x A330's in use with Brussels Airlines: 19.2 years.

(Source: airfleets.net)

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Passenger wrote:
Jetter wrote:But I couldn't find any airline with an older wide-body fleet than SN but Air Koryo (and Iran Air, but they have new planes on order). Note that SN's A330's are 20 years on average
With just 9 aircraft in the whole long haul fleet, let's compare them to "average age of specific type" in use with some other airlines:
Average age of the 22 x 747's in use with KLM, Jacdec's safiest European airline: 22 years.
Average age of the 37 x 747's in use with British Airways: 20.4 years.
Average fleet of the 7 x 767's in use with British Airways: 21.8 years.
Average fleet of the 9 x A330's in use with Brussels Airlines: 19.2 years.

(Source: airfleets.net)
And there are definitely more examples, such as 3 of the world's largest airlines:
United: Average age of 20 747's: 20.49 years & average age of 51 767's: 19.5 years (their huge fleet of 74 Triple 7's is also close with 18.9 years)
American: Average age of 38 767's: 20.6 years
Delta: Average age of 9 747's: 24.7 years & average age of 87 767's: 19.8 years

And even within the Lufthansa Group:
Austrian: average age of 6 767's: 20.8 years, and their 5 777's are also already 16.1 years on average

All these airlines have at least some aircraft that are older than OO-SFM and even in terms of the A330, Cathay Dragon still operates two older aircraft. Their mother company (the "safest airline in the world") Cathay still operates a small subfleet of A340's with an average age of 19.1 years as well.

Are all these old subfleets in the process of being replaced, in most cases yes or at least with fleet renewal plans approaching fast. But so is at least the majority of the current A330 fleet of SN.