American to drop ORD-BRU eff. Nov 6 2011

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Established02

BRU winter 2011/2012: latest news, routes, airlines

Post by Established02 »

I hope it's not what the title claims.

"American Cancels Chicago-Brussels Eff Nov, 6"
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... n/5256709/

jetway

BRU winter 2011/2012: latest news, routes, airlines

Post by jetway »

I can confirm that AA will cancel flt88/89 ORD-BRU-ORD eff 08NOV.
FYI, flight is already zeroed out in some GDS-systems.

Not a big surprise that AA is cancelling a route ex-BRU (even FRA has only 1 AA route remaining...) , however I personally expected the JFK route to be axed.

RoMax

Re: BRU winter 2011/2012: latest news, routes, airlines

Post by RoMax »

OMG, BRU-ORD? I tought this was still a strong route for AA, at least stronger than JFK-BRU. Wasn't this a very long standing route?

Could it something to do with reductions to save fuel like DL will also (temporary) cancell several transatlantic routes or is BRU the only route (in that case the route is just not working anymore I suppose).

But good news for UA. If AA stays away, SN maybe can add some capacity to ORD in the future? Altough I assume UA would prefer to fill that route themself.

Bralo20

Re: BRU winter 2011/2012: latest news, routes, airlines

Post by Bralo20 »

AA88/89 is indeed dropped...

The flight is nowhere to be found anymore in AA's site after November even during S12 the flight isn't in the bookingengine of AA...

AA171/172 seems to be staying (for now)...

Malaysia

American to drop ORD-BRU eff. Nov 6 2011

Post by Malaysia »

I just heard that American will cancel its Chicago (ORD) to Brussels (BRU) route effective Nov 6, 2011. Still waiting for a press release.
Too bad :(, That means no more American 767's at BRU :(, I hope they'll upgrade the JFK-BRU segment to an 767.. I heard the load factors are good enough so.

I don't understand why because ORD-BRU was one of the strongest atlantic routes with perfect load factors.

I guess UA wouldn't have any problems with this and we would even expect an upgrade to an 777

OO-ITR

Re: American to drop ORD-BRU eff. Nov 6 2011

Post by OO-ITR »

Malaysia wrote:
I don't understand why because ORD-BRU was one of the strongest atlantic routes with perfect load factors.
probably too much competition from Star and UA...

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

I wonder if UA will compensate and put 972/3 back to daily instead of 6x weekly and maybe put an 772 on the route?

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Maybe a good idee for SN to start flights to ORD?
Regards
Patrice
Hasta la victoria siempre.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Malaysia wrote:
Too bad :(, That means no more American 767's at BRU :(, I hope they'll upgrade the JFK-BRU segment to an 767.. I heard the load factors are good enough so.
I doubt it. loads are not everything and with SN starting JFK with an A330 in spring 2012 I doubt they can fill a 767. After the cabin upgrade, SN is supposed to offer a better product than AA (and DL) especially as AA operates 757's. I think UA, 9W and SN would run away with the high yield pax (especially if it is true that SN will get the same business seats as LX). I would rather see them stop JFK-BRU than upgrade it.
Malaysia wrote:
Again, loads are not everything. It's perfectly possible that AA started losing their high yield pax to UA when they started BRU-ORD. A full aircraft doesn't mean you are profitable if you only have low yield pax, especially with the rising fuel prices.

Anyway, there is not much left of AA's ORD-Europe services. They'll only fly MAN, LHR and CDG this winter. And as far as I know CDG and MAN are not even daily. But in summer they fly to more destinations I think.

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

It's a shame that AA leaves BRU after 22 years, i'am gone miss those lovely 767's! But as everybody says if the 'high field' pax are dropping its difficult for AA to survive these route! Defenitly knowing UA works togheter with SN.

I found a strange thing on their website. When i trying to get a flight for example from BRU to HNL from 25/12 to 08/01 the flight from BRU to LHR is operating by SN! Is there still a codeshare ??
MR Boeing wrote:
Anyway, there is not much left of AA's ORD-Europe services. They'll only fly MAN, LHR and CDG this winter. And as far as I know CDG and MAN are not even daily. But in summer they fly to more destinations I think.
CDG is 1 daily 763
MAN is 5 weekly 757
LHR is 3 daily 777/763

seasonal:
HEL is daily 763
DUB is daily 763
FCO is daily 763

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

SabenaForever wrote:
I found a strange thing on their website. When i trying to get a flight for example from BRU to HNL from 25/12 to 08/01 the flight from BRU to LHR is operating by SN! Is there still a codeshare ??
No codeshare for sure, probably an interline agreement. Like SN is placing their transfer pax to JFK often on the flights of 9W, AA and DL as part of interline agreements (at least I suppose these are interline agreements) due the lack of capacity on CO/UA's flight to EWR.

Interline agreements go way beyond the "alliance borders" (even certain codeshares do).

LJ

Post by LJ »

SabenaForever wrote:It's a shame that AA leaves BRU after 22 years, i'am gone miss those lovely 767's!
JFK-BRU remains so AA will stay at BRU.
MR_Boeing wrote: I doubt it. loads are not everything and with SN starting JFK with an A330 in spring 2012 I doubt they can fill a 767. After the cabin upgrade, SN is supposed to offer a better product than AA (and DL) especially as AA operates 757's
I think that they won't have any problem if they have the right corporate contracts. Both AA and DL are very strong in the NY area. Thus if they can get enough passengers out of the NY area there is no problem. Moreover both AA and DL have a lot of feed at JFK, SN virtually none. Moreover, companies with oneworld corporate contracts will use AA, not Sn for their BRU-JFK flying. Having a better product is irrelevant when you don't have the right contracts (not forgetting that AA and DL have a lot of frequent flyers who want to retain status).

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

LJ wrote:
I think that they won't have any problem if they have the right corporate contracts. Both AA and DL are very strong in the NY area. Thus if they can get enough passengers out of the NY area there is no problem. Moreover both AA and DL have a lot of feed at JFK, SN virtually none. Moreover, companies with oneworld corporate contracts will use AA, not Sn for their BRU-JFK flying. Having a better product is irrelevant when you don't have the right contracts (not forgetting that AA and DL have a lot of frequent flyers who want to retain status).
True, but I don't see them upgrading either. And actually I remember the same things were said about BRU-ORD when UA announced that route. It was said AA was strong enough to handle the competition from UA even while loosing the SN codeshare. It was said that if AA would stop a route to BRU it would be JFK... So I hope they are indeed strong enough on the JFK-BRU route, because I don't want to see AA dissapearing completely in BRU.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

If this might lead to UA putting a daily T7 on ORD-BRU, it would mean we would have three T7's of the same company daily at BRU... Pretty impressive. 9W was the last one to do this, but it was a completely different story and eventually 9W had to scale down drastically.

May we see a DL-AMS like operation for UA at BRU or am I dreaming now? ;)

geoffrey11

Post by geoffrey11 »

Conti764 wrote:If this might lead to UA putting a daily T7 on ORD-BRU, it would mean we would have three T7's of the same company daily at BRU... Pretty impressive. 9W was the last one to do this, but it was a completely different story and eventually 9W had to scale down drastically.

May we see a DL-AMS like operation for UA at BRU or am I dreaming now? ;)
Maybe if the new A-pier is build, all Star Alliance airlines (inc. United) would be ...
For AA, they can start Miami-Brussels B767. But I think it's a better opportunity to fly from JFK to a Spannish destination example: JFK-Malaga or Palma De Mallorca... togheter with Air Berlin and Iberia
(One World).
For UA, it's good news I hope they upgrade to a B777 or B747 :D
For SN, I think they will not opperate to ORD. JFK-LA-SFO is a better American Destenation to fly.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Hi Geoffrey !
I was just thinking along the same lines as you were.
If the UA/CO/SN Joint venture materializes, could UA/CO fly a B747 to BRU ? By "could" I mean : do they have a 747 that would be available ? SN would probably no longer have the problem of not finding seats on the transatlantic leg for their pax from the US to AFI. This should not prevent SN from flying to the US, but they could perhaps offer a different and better flight schedule. Let's hear what the other members of the forum have to say.
In favor of quality air travel.

geoffrey11

Post by geoffrey11 »

Air Key West wrote: UA/CO/SN Joint venture
Is the Joint venture only for the Atlantic Routes? or are they olso for the African routes?
If Africa also incl. in the venture it would be positive for SN.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

geoffrey11 wrote:
Is the Joint venture only for the Atlantic Routes? or are they olso for the African routes?
If Africa also incl. in the venture it would be positive for SN.
It's a TRANSATLANTIC joint-venture so only TATL ops... ;)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

It gives a very important advantage to BRU. Of course it is very sad that AA has to close a very ancient line from BRU to ORD but it create a free space in the morning at the B-pier. And it is needed because the morning is quite full.