Boeing 787 news

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

RoMax

Re: Boeing 787 and B748 nearing first delivery

Post by RoMax »

earthman wrote:These must be happy days for MR_Boeing. ;)
Talking about me? :mrgreen:

I think these are happy days for every aviation enthousiast (except for the die-hard Airbus fans who would like Boeing Commercial to go bankrupt) and every airline that ordered the B748 and B787.
But I was also happy to see the A380 being certified and enter into service with SQ. And I will also be happy to see the A350 in service. But ok, I'm a little bit more happy with the B748/B787. :mrgreen:

But that doesn't change something to the fact that the delays are a big disaster: for Boeing (altough they caused the problems themself, together with some of the contractors like Alenia), for the airlines that ordered the B787, for the airports (new long, thin routes like Tokyo-BRU are possible with the B787) and even for the pax (maybe some are not convinced, but read the comments about the B787 cabin... this is unseen, altough the A380 stays heaven based on cabin space and maybe some other things).

earthman

Post by earthman »

Any project that you don't go bankrupt from is a success, right?

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

As a Cabin Crew Member (for now :-) ) I love the new features in the 787! The new shades on the windows make it extremely easy to get them ready for take off and landing, certainly due to the fact they can all be blacked out or cleared by the Senior CCM. The indicators which show if the seat is upright or not are pretty nice as well, but I wonder how they'll stand up to wear over the years.
Also nice to see there are two HGS systems available on the flight deck.

I'd love to see a picture of the galleys though. (I know, customer option, but it might give an idea.)
Thomas

earthman

Post by earthman »

KriVa wrote:The indicators which show if the seat is upright or not are pretty nice as well, but I wonder how they'll stand up to wear over the years.
What, no wonder they were having weight issues with that plane...

Does it also come with a dump-obnoxious-passenger-down-into-cargo-hold button?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

earthman wrote:
What, no wonder they were having weight issues with that plane...

Somehow I've the idea the weight issues were caused by something else. :lol: I doubt these new cabin features are so heavy, otherwise airlines wouldn't use them.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It seems strange that they are introducing the first long-haul 787 on a route (TYO-FRA) that can sustain a 747, albeit the 787 will depart from HND rather than NRT, which explains the move. It is probably a 747 from NRT plus a 787 from HND.
André
ex Sabena #26567

earthman

Post by earthman »

Perhaps for now they will just send the plane to various high-profile destinations to generate publicity?

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

earthman wrote: What, no wonder they were having weight issues with that plane...

They really don't way that much, it's just a latch with a plastic plate on the end of it. Quite simple, but as long as they're new, they do the job very well. Of course, after a few thousand hours on the frame, I'm not sure how much of them will still be in working condition. Although Boeing will of course have tested this, there are some passengers who treat the planes less gently :)
Thomas

earthman

Post by earthman »

And the indicators are listed in the MEL as must-be-functioning.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Seriously? :shock: In that case, I hope they're well designed... :roll:
Thomas

earthman

Post by earthman »

I was joking, but I don't actually know. After all, they are tied into the electrical system, so it would be bad if there was a short circuit.

I couldn't find it in the current draft MMEL for the 787. That doesn't mean anything though, as it only serves as a template for the plane-specific MEL so they can add it when someone applies for a MEL for their 787. But if they forget to add it, it is my understanding that any equipment not listed in the MEL must be in working order at all times? Even silly things like a lightbulb in a lavatory or something like that.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Some more dates (some come from Boeing, some from "sources close to matter":

- Certification for the B787 expected on 26 August
- First delivery of the B787: between 22 and 30 September
- ZA101 will fly away for Japan two days after handover
- ZA101 first run it's engines on 18 August and will make its first flight on 1 September
- ANA will operate the first sheduled revenue flight on 1 November conecting Tokyo Haneda with Okayama and Hiroshima

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

earthman wrote:I was joking, but I don't actually know. After all, they are tied into the electrical system, so it would be bad if there was a short circuit.
I'm not sure how they work, the most simple and robust solution would be to make them mechanical, in which case I don't think they need to be on the MMEL.
If they follow this patent, I don't think they have to be on the MMEL.
Thomas

earthman

Post by earthman »

The movable armrests and seat recline mechanisms are on the MMEL.

The point of a MEL is to actually provide a list of things that can be broken while allowing the plane to fly, how broken they can be, for how long, and what measures need to be taken. Anything NOT on the MEL must be in working order or the plane is not allowed to fly. Even if it's an ashtray.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

ANA confirmed in a official statement that they will get their first B788 on 26 September. The aircraft will
depart in Everett on 27 September and it will arrive on 28 September in Tokyo.

First passenger flights are on 26 and 27 October, a special charter flight between NRT and Hong Kong.

On 1 November it will start daily services between Tokyo Haneda and Okayama and Hiroshima. International operations begin in December when they'll start 1 weekly Haneda-Beijing in January the 3 weekly flights HND-FRA will start. More domestic services will be added by year-end.

ANA expects 11 788's by the end of the financial year (31 March 2012) and another 10 in the next financial year.

For the B748F, initial invitations for the delivery ceremony show 7 September, but company sources caution this may slip a little bit further. Cargolux and Cathay will be the first customers in September, followed by Atlas Air in October (but the first 3 are sheduled to go to British Airways worldcargo and apparently these would get BA colors).

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

See this link for some pictures about the certification ceremony and some comment on the 787 history.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The Boeing 787 has now also received type certification from Japan’s Civil Aviation Bureau, paving the way for ANA to fly commence the first commercial flights of the Dreamliner in Japan.
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Qantas has reaffirmed its commitment to the Boeing 787 program, despite the long delays. QF group executive-Airlines Operations Lyell Strambi:
“If the 787 lives up to its promise it will be a major draw card. It will stand out in customers’ minds and I think it will be the plane of choice.”
QF has 50 787's on order. The first 788's will go to Jetstar, but the first 789's (due in 2014) are supposed to go to Qantas first. Altough no final decision has been made.

Strambi also said that in the longer term he sees the Qantas fleet as: Airbus A380, Boeing 787 and Boeing 737. (this is for QF only, as Jetstar will be operating the A320).
Thursday QF will take delivery of its 175th Boeing aircraft, a B737-800.

Furthermore Boeing confirmed this week that they are evaluating the entry into service timing for the 777-300ER replacement and for the 787-10.
The 777 is one of the most succesfull widebody families ever, but will be challenged by the A350-1000. So under the name 777-8X en 777-9X Boeing is looking at the replacement for the B777-200LR and the B777-300ER. A carbonfibre wing and changes to the fuselage and improved engines are named as the possible improvements.
Emirates and Qatar both have the A350-1000 on order, but are not really happy with the improved version of it announced by Airbus recently. Emirates said this week they are fully coorperating with Boeing for the 777 replacement and would be happy to be (one of the) launch customer(s). They believe Boeing can easilly make a 777 wich is more capable than the A350-1000. Also Qatar airways said this some months ago.

About the 787-10 (as this is still a 787/748 topic :mrgreen: ):
The 787-10 variant, seen as a "relatively small statement of work", said Piasecki, would be a stretch of the 250- to 290-seat 787-9, and would offer a performance of approximately 320 passengers, twin 74,000lb (329kN) engines, with a range of 6,800nm (12,600km), slightly lower than its June estimate of 6,900nm.
Ahead of the 787-10's potential launch, Boeing plans to introduce the 787-9 at the end of 2013, which is expected to undergo its critical programme review (CPR) later in September "building off the load and flight test data on the 787-8", said Piasecki.
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... d-new.html

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

OO-ITR wrote:Another setback for Boeing :
Cargolux has informed Boeing it will not take delivery of its first 747-8 freighter on Monday as planned, due to a contractual tussle, the airframer confirms.
source : flightglobal
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... tract.html
According to a source familiar with the situation the 748F delivery dispute with Cargolux is related to the delays of the Qatar Airways 787's.
Cargolux and Boeing previously agreed on the compensation for the missed specifications and the delays. But Qatar Airways sees the compensation for the 748F to Cargolux as a benchmark for the compensation they will get for the delayed 787.
On 9 September the acquisition of 35% of Cargolux by Qatar Airways was finished and during the first board meeting of Cargolux after the acquisition it was decided to cancel the delivery of the two first 748F's on 19 and 21 September.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... eries.html

If this is true, I think it's very sad that Qatar is using Cargolux and the 748F programm to get more compensation for their delayed 787's...