Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

b720

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by b720 »

theatrical, as someone mentioned. Those checks do NOT make BRU safer, nor those using the airport. Just pathetic reaction to a horrible crime, that could take place anywhere, and at anytime. No one, and nothing can stop someone WILLING to DIE killing innocent people.

webstermc

Post by webstermc »

I'm already pleased that tents will be removed and that there will be an INSIDE structure for the precheck. Thus no more waiting in the outside (although there is not that much waiting anymore). And if wit a descent structure and max 5 minutes waiting (in case of check), I don't think people will complain about these checks anymore...

Anyone an idea when the precheck will be available at bus level? I'm leaving at august 5th, but I don't want to fight for an elevator space in order to go the departure level.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Conti764 wrote:Apparently the old terminal will be converted into the future pre entry screening platform and the old departures 'curb' will never return. The walkway in front of the building will be seperated from the curb with a fence.
Accept for the departure curb, this apparently isn 't definitive yet... Today I heard there are some alternatives. I don' t know which, but one might involve another solution then pre-screaning...

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Conti764 wrote:
Conti764 wrote:Apparently the old terminal will be converted into the future pre entry screening platform and the old departures 'curb' will never return. The walkway in front of the building will be seperated from the curb with a fence.
Accept for the departure curb, this apparently isn 't definitive yet... Today I heard there are some alternatives. I don' t know which, but one might involve another solution then pre-screaning...
That could be great news..
Hasta la victoria siempre.

domtom

Post by domtom »

Hi, not sure this is exactly about the future airport infrastructure, but some questions nevertheless I hope someone may be able to shed light into:

1. With your back to Sheraton, what is the old terminal building being used for, and indeed is it used at all? (this is the building between the current terminal on the left, and the Deloitte building on the right)? (and on an aside, a plane I was on earlier in June parked literately next to the old terminal with old control tower, it did look a bit run down. Not sure this is the Deloitte building now?)

2. Speaking of which, when will the Deloitte building be handed over?

3. And did I read correctly that they are building yet another building to the right of Deloitte, for KMPG?

4. Is it normal practice for airports to lease/build private facilities literally on airport ground? (of course, hotels come to mind, but buildings for consultancies like these?) I assume that gives the airport some nice ancillary revenue?

5. What will happen with the old satellite building (from the airside)?

6. Finally, going back to the actual terminal, I saw that the main entrance to Pier B seem to be blocked off, and so passengers going to B still need to walk through security via the connector - is this a result of the attacks in March?

Thanks,

Established02

Post by Established02 »

domtom wrote:they are building yet another building to the right of Deloitte, for KMPG?
Situation on 17JUL16.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 401&type=3
Attachments
abc.jpg
abc.jpg (389.27 KiB) Viewed 5867 times

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

domtom wrote:1. With your back to Sheraton, what is the old terminal building being used for, and indeed is it used at all? (this is the building between the current terminal on the left, and the Deloitte building on the right)? (and on an aside, a plane I was on earlier in June parked literately next to the old terminal with old control tower, it did look a bit run down. Not sure this is the Deloitte building now?)
The old terminal (rows 11-14) is re-opening, but the entrance is now exclusively through the new terminal
domtom wrote:4. Is it normal practice for airports to lease/build private facilities literally on airport ground? (of course, hotels come to mind, but buildings for consultancies like these?) I assume that gives the airport some nice ancillary revenue?
It's a pity in my opinion. Buildings in airports should be used exclusively by companies directly related to air transport. But as you say, BAC can get some nice revenues from this.
domtom wrote:5. What will happen with the old satellite building (from the airside)?
The satellite hosts the offices of BAC.

I leave it to airport insiders to reply to your other questions.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Freken

Post by Freken »

domtom wrote:Hi, not sure this is exactly about the future airport infrastructure, but some questions nevertheless I hope someone may be able to shed light into:

1. With your back to Sheraton, what is the old terminal building being used for, and indeed is it used at all? (this is the building between the current terminal on the left, and the Deloitte building on the right)? (and on an aside, a plane I was on earlier in June parked literately next to the old terminal with old control tower, it did look a bit run down. Not sure this is the Deloitte building now?)
I believe the new Airport Operations Center is in the transit part of the old terminal, it's some sort of dedicated control center where all operational partners are involved in. Think of Swissport, Aviapartner, Brussels Airlines, Brussels Airport, G4S, etc.
http://www.brusselsairport.be/nl/mediaroom/news/61881/

The old control tower on top of the departures hall is actually still in use, by gate and stand allocation. It used to be accessible for staff from the top level of Pier B, after security using the stairs in the Lichtstraat. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case?
domtom wrote: 6. Finally, going back to the actual terminal, I saw that the main entrance to Pier B seem to be blocked off, and so passengers going to B still need to walk through security via the connector - is this a result of the attacks in March?
As far as I understand your question, all passengers have to pass through security screening in the Connector now, this is however not related to the attacks, but was already planned in the construction. The idea was to create a centralized security area, where all passengers pass through and create a smoother and faster process.

FYI, Brussels Airport has the single largest remote screening platform in the world now! (If they would only use the capacity sometimes, although it's much faster than other airports 95% of the time. ;))

Passport control is now done in a building next to the Connector behind security screening, not in the main departures hall anymore. Passengers going from A<->B also pass through this building nowadays. (It's the little box in between the Connector and Pier B.)

teach

Post by teach »

domtom wrote:Hi, not sure this is exactly about the future airport infrastructure, but some questions nevertheless I hope someone may be able to shed light into:

Was used for check-in rows 11 - 14 before the attack. In fact, the first bomb went off inside this building. Last weekend, row 12 in this building was reopened, though I don't know if this was a temporary thing because of the enormous traffic volume over the weekend, as it has been suggested that the building will be completely redesigned.
3. And did I read correctly that they are building yet another building to the right of Deloitte, for KMPG?
Correct.
5. What will happen with the old satellite building (from the airside)?
Do you mean the 'octopus' as it was called (the round pier to the right of the Deloitte and KPMG building)? I believe that's now been redeveloped as offices for the airport administration.
6. Finally, going back to the actual terminal, I saw that the main entrance to Pier B seem to be blocked off, and so passengers going to B still need to walk through security via the connector - is this a result of the attacks in March?
No, this was planned and is permanent. Before the change, you first went through border control, then security. Now you first go through seurity in the connector and then through border control, also in the Connector. This video shows what the situation is like now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHLSclDZUuU

domtom

Post by domtom »

Thanks all, very helpful

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

I am currently preparing a big European project together with people from Deloitte and they said that originally it was planned to move in autumn, but that probably there will be some delays. However, what that means in terms of the exact month for moving from Diegem to Zaventem, they did not know themselves ...

Cheers,
Danny

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

The construction of the triple air bridge to accomodate the A380 at the B-concourse is postponed until further notice. Construction works were started already before 22/03 but are now stopped.

The Old Terminal for charter check-in will not be used for the future pre-check-in. This terminal is still under construction. Only a few times it was open when it was too busy in the departing terminal.
The check-in area in this Old Terminal is also completely changed, there is also much more direct light in the terminal.

Future pre-check-in will be integrated in The Airport of The Future.

Freken

Post by Freken »

Atlantis wrote:Future pre-check-in will be integrated in The Airport of The Future.
I've seen this being mentioned a couple of times, but what does the "Airport of the Future" project actually signify? Does this include a complete renovation of the departures hall, the construction of a new terminal on the old DHL location or something else?

The only thing I've heard in the press and on the forums about it, is that BRU was going to invest a lot in technology, but where and how will this be implemented?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Freken wrote:
Atlantis wrote:Future pre-check-in will be integrated in The Airport of The Future.
I've seen this being mentioned a couple of times, but what does the "Airport of the Future" project actually signify? Does this include a complete renovation of the departures hall, the construction of a new terminal on the old DHL location or something else?

The only thing I've heard in the press and on the forums about it, is that BRU was going to invest a lot in technology, but where and how will this be implemented?
The Airport of the Future was foreseen for much later. But with 22/03, they made is more urgent.
Everything will be clear at the most convenient time. But for this, have patience for a while, it's not for next year.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Strange announcement by the cabin crew on my last SN flight:
"Ladies and gentlemen, the airport decided to assign A24 as our parking position, this involves a shuttle bus to join the terminal. Our apologies for this inconvenience, which is totally beyond our control"

So SN blaming the airport because they want to optimise the use of their aircraft??
That said, why on earth do passenger have to lose another 10 minutes by walking through the shopping connector?

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi Poiu,
Poiu wrote:Strange announcement by the cabin crew on my last SN flight:
"Ladies and gentlemen, the airport decided to assign A24 as our parking position, this involves a shuttle bus to join the terminal. Our apologies for this inconvenience, which is totally beyond our control"
I guess they were originally dedicated a regular parking position at the pier and for one or another reason the airport could not attribute it (e.g. departure delay of another flight). So strictly speaking, yes it might have been beyond their control. I had a similar announcement once myself.
Poiu wrote:So SN blaming the airport because they want to optimise the use of their aircraft??
The airport has no aircraft as far as I know, so I don't know what you mean with this. The airlines pay for using certain gates at the pier, they might opt for remote positions which - I suppose - are cheaper, etc (Ryanair comes to my mind). Of course foreseen gates can change as it also happens often e.g. in FRA. Also there they sometimes excuse themselves (LH) if we have a remote position that is farther away from the terminal and so passengers might be short of time to connect to their flight. I find it quite polite to do so ...
Poiu wrote:That said, why on earth do passenger have to lose another 10 minutes by walking through the shopping connector?
I don't know what you are talking about. When I am with my mother who is 85 I might 'lose' that time or a bit more :D but usually I am through everything in less that 5'. When returning I do even not walk through the shopping area (of course I see left and right shops but I don't go through them). Don't have a problem with that, and seeing the faces from most passengers they don't bother either. And it is just like everywhere isn't it?

On a side note I would like to contribute to the tests the airport is doing right now with their eye tracking devices to collect passenger feedback. The organisation I work for just started a cluster on eye-tracking technology for supporting several research experiments so I am very keen to participate and I am curious to see the results.

Cheers,
Danny

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Established02 wrote:
domtom wrote:they are building yet another building to the right of Deloitte, for KMPG?
Situation on 17JUL16.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 401&type=3
I have yet another question regarding this. What will happen with the parking space in front of the new building of Deloitte and KPMG? Will it remain as is, or will it be refurbished? I have seen some pictures where there is still parking space with a lot of green/trees. Can anyone confirm it wil become like that?

Cheers,
Danny

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

DannyVDB wrote:Hi Poiu,
Poiu wrote:Strange announcement by the cabin crew on my last SN flight:
I guess they were originally dedicated a regular parking position at the pier and for one or another reason the airport could not attribute it (e.g. departure delay of another flight). So strictly speaking, yes it might have been beyond their control. I had a similar announcement once myself.
Poiu wrote:So SN blaming the airport because they want to optimise the use of their aircraft??
The airport has no aircraft as far as I know, so I don't know what you mean with this. The airlines pay for using certain gates at the pier, they might opt for remote positions which - I suppose - are cheaper, etc (Ryanair comes to my mind). Of course foreseen gates can change as it also happens often e.g. in FRA. Also there they sometimes excuse themselves (LH) if we have a remote position that is farther away from the terminal and so passengers might be short of time to connect to their flight. I find it quite polite to do so ...
Poiu wrote:That said, why on earth do passenger have to lose another 10 minutes by walking through the shopping connector?
I don't know what you are talking about. When I am with my mother who is 85 I might 'lose' that time or a bit more :D but usually I am through everything in less that 5'. When returning I do even not walk through the shopping area (of course I see left and right shops but I don't go through them). Don't have a problem with that, and seeing the faces from most passengers they don't bother either. And it is just like everywhere isn't it?

On a side note I would like to contribute to the tests the airport is doing right now with their eye tracking devices to collect passenger feedback. The organisation I work for just started a cluster on eye-tracking technology for supporting several research experiments so I am very keen to participate and I am curious to see the results.

Cheers,
Danny
No Danny, the aircraft was scheduled on a non Schengen flight shortly after our arrival.
Sorry it wasn't clear for you: SN optimises its aircraft use and then blames the airport for the passenger inconvenience.
The 10 min are from passing the beginning of the connector, driving all the way to back, getting off, gong up and walk back to the beginning of the connector....
As you say nobody buys upon arrival so the bus stop could have been at the beginning of the connector.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

What has those posts to do with the topic BRU infrastructure: Future??

Maybe you can create a new topic for those posts

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Atlantis wrote:What has those posts to do with the topic BRU infrastructure: Future??

Maybe you can create a new topic for those posts
Well it would be nice to integrate a bus drop off point at the start of the connector IN THE FUTURE infrastructure works.
Or to end frustrations with both users and guest it would be nice ifIN THE FUTURE INFRASTRUCTURE a solution for arrivals at the wrong pier could be found. Eg arriving at A pier from a Schengen flight, proceed to A arrivals, keep your boarding pass en skip immigration.