Malaysia Airlines MH 91 (EWR-DXB) & MH 90 (KUL-DXB-EWR)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
flightsimboy

Malaysia Airlines MH 91 (EWR-DXB) & MH 90 (KUL-DXB-EWR)

Post by flightsimboy »

I landed into Newark in the morning to connect to my Malaysia Airlines flight MH 91 to Dubai and Kuala Lumpur. I had a spectacular touch down into Newark with the magnificent Manhattan Skyline in the distance, silhouetted against the morning sunrise. While transiting between the terminals I caught a glimpse of my MH 777-200ER as she readied herself for the 12 hour plus trip to Dubai in the Middle East. This was my first trip nonstop from North America to the Middle East, the others being first to Europe. I was really looking forward to it. :dance:

With the usual formalities completed before boarding the plane, I soon found myself sitting in my seat, looking out towards the south out of my window, as jets took off over me, banking sharply to the left, continuing on before turning right and out of the airport area. I anticipated the same sharp bank to the left when we took off from 22R. The flight attendants were friendly and genuinely interested in you, very much like the year before when I flew with them from LAX-TPE-KUL. It made sense for them to win the Best Cabin crew award for three years in a row

Newark like most American airports was a hub to regional airlines, as well as the leading airlines of the US. The case here being Continental, I’ve never seen so many CO jets. On our way to the terminal we crossed a line of FedEX jets, yet not so many international flights, or had we arrived too early?

The Flight

Before long the jet was racing down the runway, and as anticipated it banked sharply to the left, easing back up continuing out of 22R http://www.airliners.net/open.file/286963/Land then turning right to fly up out of the heavy New York area at a very low altitude and at a speed not generally seen at take offs. Finally he turned the jet to the right, began to climb and the jet’s engines began to power up as he headed east towards the Atlantic Ocean. I recall my flight on a KU A340, from JFK had flown towards Boston, entering the Canadian airspace continuing over St. John’s in Newfoundland and then out over the Atlantic to London our next stop. But the Malaysian jet flew somewhere near Boston, continued almost easterly and I recall being way south of Newfoundland as we made our way over the Atlantic. The meal service began as I put on my headset to watch Finding Nemo. A whole lot of other movies were watched, as the day turned to night and the aircraft cabin lights went out. After what seemed a long time, I could see on the seat back video flight map we were soon to cross over the French coastline. We continued over France in the direction of Nice, from where we flew down alongside the western Italian coastline, over the Tyrrhenian sea crossing over the tip of the shoe of Italy and then over the Ionian sea towards the Island of Crete. Much of the cabin slept as did the world below though the cities lay wide awake it’s lights gleaming under the clear skies we traveled. From Crete we turned towards Cyprus, just over its most northern point and then into Syria, before turning south east again to fly over the great deserts of Saudi Arabia. Somewhere over the Middle East the first lights of dawn appeared in the east and before long it was day again outside my aircraft window. I was now eating breakfast as I continued to track our flight as it continued towards the stop in Dubai. The trays cleared and it was now as good as day outside, we were some miles out of Bahrain and the island could be seen in a haze as the horizon swallowed it up in the morning sunshine. Over the Persian Gulf and some miles out of Dubai, the Captain came on the air and announced our descent would begin, and the cabin crew came by collecting trays, cups and headphones still smiling and fresh as ever as when we left Newark some 12 hours before. No comments on how I looked not caring to sleep at all. 8O

I had experienced the touchdown into Dubai on my FS2002 complete with the Dubai scenery installed and the wing views using Meljet’s great 777, so I pressed my face against my window as we continued our descent into Dubai, my heart racing as what I was about to experience was now real and not some simulation on my machine at home!! The early morning haze was going to ruin the views but it would still be an approach to remember. The wheels were lowered and the first of the Dubai skyline appeared the Burj Al Arab, the hotel that is built like a sail or a wave, in the distance shrouded in a dull grey, very small yet clearly identifiable. The two other tall buildings that have taken over what I think was the Dubai Trade Tower were now well into view as we left the sea behind and continued our approach onto 12L. The skyline was fascinating and it was a shame it was not as clear as I was hoping to see it. We lunged slightly forward in our seats as the 777 approached 12L, the first of the Dubai airport coming in view and an EK A330 lined up on 12R ready to take off, one of the many morning departures of Emirates. The triple boogie landing gear touched the tarmac and the spoilers, reverse thrust kicked in slowing down the massive glorious jet that had brought us all the way from New York (EWR) to Dubai. I heard a slight boom in my right ear and I turned to look back out of my window, only to see the very same A330 climb out into the skies we had just come down from, it’s main landing gear just lifting off the tarmac. Behind the graceful A330 was the Sheikh Rashid Terminal a picture perfect setting to what was Dubai Airport. We crossed the runway the jet had just taken off from and in the distance a 773 was lining up onto 12R, as the terminal came closer into view and the magnificent tails of different EK jets lined up .http://www.airliners.net/open.file/227819/L/ along the stretch of the grand terminal building. We waited outside our gate, probably to allow another jet occupying it to vacate. The 773 I saw lining up was now racing down the runway, so long and so huge as it too took to the skies above. I thought Dubai was busy during the nights but some departures do leave in the morning as well. The plane now pulled into the gate, and the usual passengers that are the first to leave began opening the overhead bins and pulling out their bags. I just sat in my seat, being the last to leave (unless I have to make a mad dash for another connection), even though I would be back in less than 90 minutes for the onward journey to Kuala Lumpur

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/489739/L
Last edited by flightsimboy on 13 Apr 2004, 04:40, edited 5 times in total.

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Great and detailed report.

Thanks for sharing with us. I enjoyed readin it.
Can't wait to see part II

Best Regards,
Yvo

flightsimboy

Post by flightsimboy »

Thank you AN124. My first post on this site. I will post Part 2 soon. :D

flightsimboy

Malaysia Airlines MH 90 - KUL-DXB-EWR (Part 2)

Post by flightsimboy »

Sorry but there was not much to write regarding the DXB-KUL sector, which is basically covered in this write up. Same route but in an westerly direction :wink:

I had spent a long tiring day in Kuala Lumpur, visiting the Menara Tower and then the Petronas Towers only to find the latter had closed fifteen minutes ago. I had to rush back to my hotel, pick up my bags and then take the hotel shuttle to the Kuala Lumpur airport for the flight back to Newark via Dubai. Before long, the van arrived, we picked up some more passengers and then drove to KLIA what seemed like forever. :x

At the impressive KLIA the terminal sparkled in the hot humid night sky. I found my desk, cleared in and then decided to do some duty free shopping…I landed up at the wrong gate thinking 39A was my gate but it was my seat number…I can’t even recall which gate I landed up at, only to find the gate closed and not a person in sight. I had to run back to the actual gate, and got there panting like I ran a marathon. The last few passengers were boarding the MH777-200ER to Dubai and Newark. I quickly settled in my seat, turning the overhead air vent to full to cool me off…Not a good way to start a long haul trip :oops:

We pulled out of the gate on time, and soon lifted off 32R continuing to climb in a straight path before turning north west out over the Andaman Sea in the direction of Chennai. The weather was a bit bumpy that I had to pack off my new digital camera away for fear it would drop from the seat. The usual in-flight service rituals began, yet MH staff don’t treat them as such. They are genuinely warm, friendly and actually treat you like you were the only one on board. We had climbed to our cruising altitude and now the lights were off. We had now crossed over Chennai on the eastern coast of India and were heading to the western city of Mumbai from where we would cross over the Arabian sea. Time passed and before long we were flying south of Karachi in the direction of Muscat from where we would begin our descent. The 777 conquered the night skies as very soon the coastline of Oman came into view, the city lights gleaming in the distance. The Captain came on the air and announced the descent would begin shortly and the cabin crew would come around taking away the headsets, which they did. He also announced we would be making an approach from the west…It was 12L again… The cities of the UAE sparkled below as we descended lower into the airspace, the roar of the huge engines beginning to go a notch down to a gentle rumble. This time I was seated on the left unlike my earlier arrival into Dubai from where I had viewed the skyline from the right. However the view was even better as we continued in a north westerly direction out of Dubai, the city just below us, looking even better at night. Among the lights that shone, were other blinking lights that moved along the magnificent scenery, which were the other jets on finals into 12L. It was just amazing as the cabin lights had now gone off and all that remained were the lights outside and the strobe lights on the wingtips. The 777 continued out over the sea and after a while banked to the left and we were now flying almost along the coast much lower and much slower. He then banked hard to the left again and you could feel the wheels come down and at same time established himself on the ILS approach and the coastline now started to get closer and brighter as we began our finals to 12L. Boats in the sea below looked like tiny lanterns leading the way to the tarmac, but that soon broke to many lights as we now crossed over the land from the sea, the neon signs, traffic lights on the highways below and the street lights raced under us, disappearing shortly to be taken over again with the grand bright lights of the terminal. We touched down smoothly before the aircraft slowed down and made it’s way to the terminal. As we pulled off the far end of the runway, the brand new Airbus A340-500 of EK was sitting at the remote parking area. It looked grand as the terminal lights beamed down on this brand new beast. My digital camera died while experimenting with it on board and I missed photographing this new bird.

We proceeded to leave the aircraft, and we had pulled alongside British Airways' 777-200. On the way out the large glass windows of the terminal it allowed a clear view of the going ons in the flight deck of the BA 777. The captains readied the plane as the last of the vehicles pulled from the jet, and the push back began. The size of the 777 engines were just unbelievable from such a close range. We finally made it through the security and into the terminal. We were allowed only 20 minutes to the Duty free shopping spree, but I was too tired to be bothered. I came back to the gate and sat staring 8O out of the bucket seat for the next leg of the journey. It seemed like a long wait in Dubai before we began boarding again. I was so tired already, I could think it was another 14 + hours nonstop to Newark. Dubai was at it’s peak and a host of international flights were arriving and departing. An Alitalia jet was pulling into the gate as we pulled out. We continued to the runway and before long were screaming out of Dubai into the night sky, turning left and continuing our turn towards the west out over the sea. The flight attendants began to start the beverage service and were asked to return to their seats. The captain had announced we would experience severe turbulence as we crossed into Iranian airspace. And we did. The jet rocked back and forth and what seemed like a child frantically shaking a box at Christmas to see what was inside. All that rocking put me to sleep :zzz: (Yes I’m one of those freaks that fall off to sleep in turbulence) and I got up an hour or so later with the hand of the flight attendant on my shoulder as he wanted me to put my seat in the upright position for the meal to be served. I blinked at him like a cat from a nap and yawned and stretched, realizing the jet was now flying without the bumps. After dinner I checked the map and we were flying along the Turkish coastline in the east up to the Black Sea after travelling over most of Iran. From there it was over the Ukraine in the direction of Warsaw in Poland. We still had such a long way to go and I wished we could have some turbulence so I could fall asleep again… :zzz:

The flight progressed and the cabin crew would walk around with drinks of water, orange juice and coke :drink: and with sandwiches later. I had some of these and we were now coming over the south east Baltic Sea towards Denmark from where we could continue over to the south of Norway, over the northern Atlantic ocean towards the south of Iceland from where we would began our descent into Eastern Canada passing Goose bay and arriving into US airspace over the state of Vermont. The ice frozen lakes of Quebec were now under us as the early morning rays of light broke through what was over 20 hours of night we had gone through. (Like the 14 hour flight to Taipei and the 15 hour flight to Sydney from Los Angeles I had previously traveled through). The jet began it’s descent into US airspace and much of the ground below was covered in snow giving the landscape a nice white blanket. We were now quite close to Newark and I tried to scan the skies for any jets in the area but none could be seen, they really handle the busy skies well. The sea to the south shone a dark golden as the morning sunlight reflected in the stretch. Once again the Manhattan skyline came into view as we closed in onto EWR. This time my digital camera was on fully loaded and with extra batteries in case it died on me, like it died while touching into Dubai. I got some excellent videos although just ten seconds each of our touchdown, including the Manhattan skyline. The 777 had flown for more than 14 ½ hours and before long it touched down into Newark http://www.airliners.net/open.file/113273/L/ with the US planes lining up the gates. We proceeded to the customs hall after the leaving the jet and they have the best views of the runways with floor to ceiling windows, and the New York skyline in the distance. A Virgin Atlantic A340 it’s silver body raced down the runway and climbed out right in front of me. I wanted to wait and see them all leave but I had customs to deal with.
Last edited by flightsimboy on 13 Apr 2004, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Welcome on the website flightsimboy and hey: what a stunning report about your flights!! You should make a book 8)

Please tune in again to report your future flights!

greetings,

Bart
:rock:

flightsimboy

Post by flightsimboy »

Thanks..I have tons of flights to write about...this was the last one, last year. Been flying every year since 1994 long haul so lots of reports to come. Nice to know the reports were liked :dance: Next report Malaysia Airlines LAX-TPE-KUL

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Flightsimboy, excellent detailed report.

Welcome to Luchtzak, and stay with us!

Little question: any alcoholic drinks aboard MH?
André
ex Sabena #26567

flightsimboy

Post by flightsimboy »

Most definitely drinks were available, if requested. However Champagne in Economy is only on SQ :cry: Good Malaysian :?: Lager (cans) are offered to passengers from a tray after take off, like Coke and other soft drinks :drink: I know I had lots of Rum and Cokes, so the drinks are definitely on board

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Thanks for your second part Flightsimboy.

Your write very nice reports about you flights.
It makes me feel I made them myself.

Best Regards,
Yvo

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

lol, im falling asleep from turbulenca also - haha :jump2:
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

Avro

Post by Avro »

Those are very nice reports flightsimboy. Keep on writing them ;)

Greetz
Chris
8)

Flying_Dutchman

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

Great reports, flightsimboy!!! :) Well done ;)

flightsimboy

Post by flightsimboy »

I appreciate all your kind comments and encouragement, soooooo I quickly wrote my flight on MH 095. Beware it is really a long write up :roll: Check the forum for the new topic

Jense

Post by Jense »

If all new members made such an introduction... :D
One word man; great :!:

greettzzz

flightsimboy

View some pics of the flight on MH 90 KUL-DXB-EWR

Post by flightsimboy »

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for these exotic (for us!) pics, flightsimboy.
André
ex Sabena #26567

flightsimboy

Similar report on Airliners.net

Post by flightsimboy »

I found a similar report on Airliners.net and you can see how the inbound trip to DXB is very close to what i have reported, but the outbound to EWR has a different route. I wonder if it had anything to do with the time of year. My flights were in the months of Nov/Dec

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/tr ... main/29520

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

I flew with Malaysia Airlines in the winter down to AUS and back, they are great. The 777's are such comfortable aircraft to fly in. As you say the crew are great, many airlines could learn alot from them.

Emirates