Open Monuments Day 2010 - Zeebrugge

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Comet

Open Monuments Day 2010 - Zeebrugge

Post by Comet »

On 12 September 2010 it was Open Monuments Day so we caught Kusttram to Zeebrugge (after visiting Duinbergen) and went up the 210 steps in the water tower on Kustlaan to get some photos and video from the top.

The water tower beside the main road through Zeebrugge.

Pipes inside. We expected big tanks but there were only the pipes. The tower is controlled by computer.

Some of the steps inside.

View along Kustlaan.

A containership being loaded.

Another boat.

Looking towards the old Palace Hotel (white building with orange roof).

View along Kustlaan showing tram lines and Blankenberge in distance.

Shipping containers.

A brightly coloured Kusttram leaves Zeebrugge Vaart tram stop on the way to De Panne.

More containers.

The yellowish building in the centre is Zeebrugge Dorp station. Also visible is the closed down Suffolk Ferry bar.

Bridge.

Pilot boats.

A different area of the port.

View towards the yacht marina and my favourite Zeebrugge drinking place!

It was fun to go up the water tower, I would definitely go up one again if I had chance!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Re: Open Monuments Day 2010 - Zeebrugge

Post by sn26567 »

Very nice report with beautiful photographs. The views from up there are staggering!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks Andre. It was nice to visit something on Open Monuments Day, we hope we get the chance again. There were lots of old Kustrtams running along the line to celebrate 125 years of Kusttram but I didn't get chance to get a photo of one. The day was quite popular, and there were lots going up the water tower. The weather was perfect as well.
Louise

regi

Post by regi »

great sharp pictures. reflex camera?

Comet

Post by Comet »

regi wrote:great sharp pictures. reflex camera?
Thanks regi. No, my camera is a digital compact like this one http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-r ... eview.html

The only thing I wish it had is more pixels and stronger zoom, otherwise I think it's great!
Louise

regi

Post by regi »

well, you could zoom in at Blankenberge already. But Ostend airport was out of sight. ;)
I think that you just forgot to zoom in at the towers of Bruges itself.
( but you had the "gas bombs" of Dudzele gas terminal very nicely )
And the old Palace hotel shines out nicely. It is still used, but has lost its grandeur.
My son works 50 meters further in the first restaurant at the beach.

The view on the terminals is great as well. All well done.
A jealous member ;)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks regi :mrgreen: Zeebrugge is one of my favourite places, I can easily take lots of photos there - I would have liked to get nearer to the big green boat (it was there a few days before as well) but at least I managed to get it on a photo from the top of the tower.

I bet the old Palace Hotel is one of the oldest buildings in Zeebrugge, the other ones look much more modern in comparison. In September Zeebrugge is nice and peaceful in the middle of the week and so it is very easy to take photos.

Wish I had a job there :mrgreen:
Louise

regi

Post by regi »

Comet wrote:Thanks regi :mrgreen: Zeebrugge is one of my favourite places, I can easily take lots of photos there - I would have liked to get nearer to the big green boat (it was there a few days before as well) but at least I managed to get it on a photo from the top of the tower.

I bet the old Palace Hotel is one of the oldest buildings in Zeebrugge, the other ones look much more modern in comparison. In September Zeebrugge is nice and peaceful in the middle of the week and so it is very easy to take photos.

Wish I had a job there :mrgreen:
Plenty of jobs available. Cheap lodging as well. But it depends on what you expect...

SpottairBRU

Post by SpottairBRU »

Very nice pics, thanks for sharing Louise!
Fabien
Flown: AA5 / A300-310-318-319-320-321-330-340-380 / ATR42 / B717-737-747-757-777 / Bae146 / C130H / CRJ700-900 / Dash8-Q400 / E145-195 / Fokker 50 / HS748 / MD81 / RJ85-100 / Robin DR400

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks SpottairBRU, sorry my reply has been a little bit late, as Opera won't let me log in and I've had to switch over to Google Chrome.
Louise

regi

Post by regi »

Comet wrote:Thanks SpottairBRU, sorry my reply has been a little bit late, as Opera won't let me log in and I've had to switch over to Google Chrome.
hey, I also have some log in problems very recently on my PC, so I switched to my MA G5 and no problems at all. Recent MS automatic update probably?