04/03/2010: Emergency Landing at BRU!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

SabenaForever

04/03/2010: Emergency Landing at BRU!

Post by SabenaForever »

I found an article on the website of hln.be, there was an emergency landing in BRU this morning around 08.00 a.m, according to the pilot there was smoke in the cabin, probably a fuel leak!
Somebody with more information? It was a plane from Hamburg...

greetz

HighInTheSky

Re: 04/03/2010: Emergency Landing at BRU!

Post by HighInTheSky »

Aircraft landed at 0805 LT, so i guess this must be SN2630 coming from HAM... No more info at this time...

Captain Remi

Post by Captain Remi »

Euhm... if it is an emergency landing with smoke in the cabin, I don't think it will be in the list of scheduled arrivals that you need to look, so I doubt it is that SN flight.
It might be a flight diverted to BRU (when crossing over Belgium) from somewhere else, exactly due to this emergency and the nature of it.

Any update available ?

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

If it would have been a diversion it wouldn't have been in the list of Brussels Airport, but if it was the schedueled SN flight coming in from HAM and they noticed the emergency during the descent into BRU the flight will stay in the arrivals of Brussels Airport.

I'll know it for sure when i get at work later today. But i'm sure by then some other members will have the details already posted (Tompompier?).

It is ofcourse possible that it isn't the SN flight coming from HAM, but until now it is the best guess...

SN 2630 flight coming from HAM ETA 0800 ATA 0802

Emergency landing departure airport HAM ETA 0805

Anyway, we'll know it by the end of the day ;)

Captain Remi

Post by Captain Remi »

Thanks for your reply. Would that HAM flight be an Avro RJ?
More recently, there have been more issues with this type in Brussels Airlines service. I remember the incident where a hydraulic fluid found it's way into the cabin.
The day before yesterday, my father went to Warschau with Brussels Airlines and the flight was delayed because spares for another Avro, blocked in Warschau.
Yesterday, he came back with the repaired Avro but the flight had about 1h delay as the pilots needed to perform some extra checks. A bit surprising to the passengers, they kept them informed about the testing procedure and that the brakes light wouldn't go out etc. Finally, they shut down the engines again, went out to physically check the brakes while passengers remained on board and took of later on after confirmed with their inspection that everything was fine, although some warning lights were still activated.

Of course, the emergency of today could be another Airline and airplane type...
Also, I'm quite fond of Brussels Airlines, so this isn't ment as a way of critisizing them.
They do have an outstanding safety record.

I just want to suggest the Avro's are getting worn out and I'm looking forward to see them replaced, although they were good fun to fly with their STOL capacities :)

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

A Brussels Airlines Avro RJ-100, registration OO-DWF performing flight SN-2630 from Hamburg (Germany) to Brussels (Belgium), levelled off at FL100 after departure from Hamburg and continued to Brussels maintaining FL100. On approach to Brussels the crew reported a fuel leak and smoke on board. The airplane landed safely on runway 02 about 20 minutes later with emergency services on stand by.

The airplane was able to depart for its next flight about 3.5 hours later.

avherald.com

jessy

Post by jessy »

What could be the reason to stay at FL100? Pressurisation?
Jessy Stas
Assistant Director - Belgium
Special Operations Assistant Coordinator - Belgium

International Virtual Aviation Organisation
http://ivao.aero | http://ivao.be

Captain Remi

Post by Captain Remi »

FL100 for quicker descend and larger fuel burn, making an extra fuel dump unnecessary.
oooooor :) for burning less fuel by not having to climb so much....
It all depends on when the leak was noticed and the severity of it.

So it was an SN flight scheduled to BRU after all :)
Good guessing!!

fly

Post by fly »

An avro has NO dumping capability, and I doubt there was smoke in the cabin.... with smoke in the cabin you would not perform the whole flight but divert immediatly to a alternate airfield.
my 5 cents... :D
On the other hand maybe the smoke came right at the end of the flight.....

Airplanefooood

Post by Airplanefooood »

It seems that today there was another emergency landing at BRU.
An aircraft that was performing an EU-flight reported mayday.
SIT-team Vlaams-Brabant (Rapid Response Unit Red Cross Flanders) was stand-by on alarm for an aircraft comming in to Brussels which reported a fuel leak.

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

SN3721 BRU-MAD OO-LTM, returned to BRU after fuel leak.
A Brussels Airlines Boeing 737-300, registration OO-LTM performing flight SN-3721 from Brussels (Belgium) to Madrid,SP (Spain) with 87 passengers, was climbing through FL180, when the crew decided to return to Brussels due to a fuel leak. The airplane landed safely about 35 minutes after departure.

A replacement Boeing 737-300 registration OO-VEG departed Brussels with a delay of 3 hours.
http://avherald.com/h?article=42832fa8&opt=0