Construction works in diegem - lo

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

B737229

Construction works in diegem - lo

Post by B737229 »

What are they doing at the end of 25R at Diegem-Lo. All the fields have been shut off by fences, and no acces any more to see the cargo ramp!! :(

Seems they are starting constructions works there!

Are we losing another great spot for spotting again?

Jense

Post by Jense »

8O More works??? :cry: Oh my God, they are destroing everything... :cry: Did you saw the works @ rwy 02 allready? Spotting is hard, @ Brussels...

greettzzz

B737229

Post by B737229 »

Jense wrote:8O More works??? :cry: Oh my God, they are destroing everything... :cry: Did you saw the works @ rwy 02 allready? Spotting is hard, @ Brussels...
What works are being done at RWY02? I have not been there for 2 months now...

Jense

Post by Jense »

B737229 wrote:What works are being done at RWY02? I have not been there for 2 months now...
Well, the are connecting Leuven directly to Brussels/Zaventem airport with the train. A 'tunnel' is needed to make that railway... :evil:
The fields are destroyed 'door' the trucks... :evil:

greettzzz

B737229

Post by B737229 »

Jense wrote:
B737229 wrote:What works are being done at RWY02? I have not been there for 2 months now...
Well, the are connecting Leuven directly to Brussels/Zaventem airport with the train. A 'tunnel' is needed to make that railway... :evil:

greettzzz
Shit.. sounds typical belgian... make 1 tunnel finish it .. 3years later make another tunnel, start all the works over again!

Bad news!

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

B737229 wrote:
Jense wrote:

greettzzz
Shit.. sounds typical belgian... make 1 tunnel finish it .. 3years later make another tunnel, start all the works over again!

Bad news!

indeed, Belgian mentality . . .

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Yeah, noticed the construction-works too: https://www.aviation24.be/postp31798.html#31798

744rules

Post by 744rules »

I heard rumours that BIAC wanted to get rid of the staff car park (P9), so they can use it as an a/c apron again. Let's hope they are just displacing the staff car park to the other side of the fence. I'll ask around.

B737229

Post by B737229 »

744rules wrote: I'll ask around.
Would be nice if you could get some info.. Thx

Sounds logic to reopen the cargo apron again for aircraft!

Regards,

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Jense wrote:Well, the are connecting Leuven directly to Brussels/Zaventem airport with the train. A 'tunnel' is needed to make that railway...
"

Are they finally building the "diabolo" ? I did not hear about it before.

It's years BIAC has been asking for it: a connection not only to Leuven/Liège, but also to Antwerp/Amsterdam, enabling all HSTs to stop at BRU airport.
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

sn26567 wrote:
Jense wrote:Well, the are connecting Leuven directly to Brussels/Zaventem airport with the train. A 'tunnel' is needed to make that railway...
"

Are they finally building the "diabolo" ? I did not hear about it before.

It's years BIAC has been asking for it: a connection not only to Leuven/Liège, but also to Antwerp/Amsterdam, enabling all HSTs to stop at BRU airport.
André,

i think the "diabolo" project is the connection to Antwerp. This has nothing to do with the train link to Leuven, which was planned for years together with the new HST line Brussels-Leuven-Liège-Cologne.

I suppose we'll have to wait a few years before Antwerp is connected with the airport.

OO-VEX

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

The last thing i've heard about a real HST station in BRU is that is should be realised in 2012 (if i'm correct, it could also have been 2016, but i'm pretty sure that it was 2012).

Although i also heard that better connections to other cities in Belgium (but not HST) would be realised earlier, somewhere around 2008 if i'm not mistaking. I guess i read it once in Metro, on the page of the NMBS.

Greets,

Pieter

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Sorry, but where is P9 located?

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

Sabena_690 wrote:Sorry, but where is P9 located?

Frederic
Next to the cargo-"gates", in other words, @Brucargo.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Better train connections for BRU is a very good idea. When you are in other parts of Belgium, it can be a pain changing at Brussels when you have a load of luggage (and isn't it maddening when the platform for the airport train always gets changed at the last minute, causing you to dash across to another platform like a mad idiot :evil: )

It would be nice to go into the airport station on something other than those dreadful IR trains which always seem to smell of old cigarette smoke.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

So this is what i gathered from a brochure at the site of the NMBS:

Keep in mind that the brochure that i found seems to be a quite old one and they probably changed everything already:-)

NMBS (belgian railways) wants to build a new HST station in Brussels to cope with the amount of travellers on HST trains. This new station would be made at the northsite of Brussels, somewhere in Schaarbeek, and would be in close coperation with the airport. No dates are mentioned.

A little bit further in that same brochure they say: "Thanks to the making of a "connectioncurve" (verbindingsbocht) near Zaventem, it will be possible to reach the airport in 2006 from Verviers, Liege-Guillemins and Leuven, without going through Brussels-Nord."

Again a little bit further, with the summary of their plans for the period 2001/2012 they say that in that period they plan 2 "connectioncurves" near Zaventem so trains from Antwerpen, Mechelen, Liege, Verviers, Leuven and Hasselt can arrive directly into the airport.

That's all i could find for now.

Greets,

Pieter

SAH9101

Post by SAH9101 »

It's part of the diabolo project. They will extend the train station at Brussels National Aiport to the north and build a tunnel under rwy 25R and Brucargo for the railway track to Antwerp. In the long term, it's possible that Brucargo gets his own passanger train station. The railway track between Melsbroek and Mechelen will be built in the middle of the E19 highway.

SAA-SAL

Post by SAA-SAL »

I guess that's good news then? It might help BRU recapture pax that find it more convenient to fly from other airports just outside of Belgium.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks, flybe, for detailed explanations.
Comet wrote:It would be nice to go into the airport station on something other than those dreadful IR trains which always seem to smell of old cigarette smoke.
Unlikely: all Belgian trains are non-smoking now.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:
Comet wrote:It would be nice to go into the airport station on something other than those dreadful IR trains which always seem to smell of old cigarette smoke.
Unlikely: all Belgian trains are non-smoking now.
Yes, but smoking or non smoking, those IR trains are still dreadful :!: :evil:
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise